Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
now that parks, danny, and byerly are out...what's this mean for hl? one of the biggest things they had going for them was their team. will there still be a premier ridden by someone else? im guessing no. but there obviously wont be a parks or byerly pro model. what do you think is going to happen to them?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Who knows....I'm thinking they will loose their #1 spot in the near future. People are going to line up to ride Danny, Parks, and Byerly's new boards.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
That's what i thought.
Old    ntron            08-11-2006, 11:57 AM Reply   
As far as I know Byerly is not leaving Hyperlite he is just having his own line in the company, I believe it is still part of the parent company
Old     (goodnews)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
It seems to me that the best thing Hyperlite has going for them is a GREAT product. Hopefully, consumers are not purchasing a board just because a big name pro rider is promoting it.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Well they must be. Cuz if they where buyin boards for great product! CWB would be the only company still be sellin boards!J/k
Old     (goodnews)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
Great comment -- too funny! Those that love Hyperlite will stay with Hyperlite (as long as the product is still a well designed and a well produced product) regardless of which Pro riders are promoting the board -- Just like the CWB fans would keep riding CWB boards and so on...as always, the newbies will purchase a product that their favorite pro rider is on -- the question is how many new riders will be entering the market? My guess is that Ronix will have an amazing year,
(only because it is something new)and then the market will settle back down to reflect the board that riders prefer.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-11-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Wal-Mart? (give it a few years...)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Well that will be the bigest thing IMO the Well designed and well produced product that is, since they lost there board designer and Shaper, I wonder if they will even have any new shapes/molds for 07 or it it will be same molds/Shapes as 06 with just new graphix.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-11-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
jeff, hyperlite doesn't come out w/ new designs every year so it wouldn't really be a surprise if they don't come out with one for '07.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-11-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
in actuality, they kept who they needed and made a smart business decision on giving byerly his own line.....Bouchard is one of the greatest shapers ever, IMO!!!!
Old    wakebmxer            08-11-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
the guy who desigened the canopeners is the greatest shaper ever???? I know and like Byerly but that board sucks. It was great until the canopeners. Hopefully that was a Hyperlite marketing gimmick but Byerly said it wasnt but I didnt really believe him.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-12-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
i like the speculation but let me lay it out a little. Byerly is with Hyperlite but he is doing his own division, basically his own company within Hyperlite. Bouchard is shaping his boards as well as some other boards in the hyperlite line. Scott's new board doesn't have the "can openers" and is a more blended 3 stage rocker board which means leaning toward continuous which should be a good ride, imo.
Every two years we get to reshape boards and bindings and they try to do half of the line one year and half the next so when recutting the molds they don't get overwhelmed. with that said, you can figure out which boards will change generally by which ones have been around for two years.
shaun
Old     (moradaboardin)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
Im speculating that the "can opener" patent left with herb just speculation though.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-12-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
Shaun doesn't know what he is talking about. Byerly signed with Cut-N-Jump, and is coming out with a sick set of combos that you are supposed to be able to wake to wake with. I think they are going to be made of wood, and have a simple yellow rubber toe and heel cup. They will be continuous rocker, and CUT AND JUMP better than any high performance combo on the market. They will also have a specially tuned bottom that is awesome for beach starts. There will be no can openers, but there will be a bottle opener on one of the skis. He will also be coming out with a new series of foam vest and fingerless gloves. I can't wait! Look for others to follow.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-12-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
thanks travis. i knew that murray was holdin' out on us.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-12-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
Hey Travis, is the board with a can opener on the bottom a Mick Fanning pro model?
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-13-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
Ok then Travis you are telling me that Murray dosent know what he is talking about. He works for hyperlite and actually knows Byerly personally unlike yourself im sure. I guess im gona go with Murray on this one. Sorry bro....
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-13-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
Chris, Insert foot in mouth!!!!!!
Old    chocobeat            08-13-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
lol at travis calling out mr. belmont
Old    deltahoosier            08-13-2006, 10:34 PM Reply   
LOL @ Chris.....
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-14-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
LOL Chris, I don't think you know what you're talking about! haha
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
i heard hyperlite was coming out with a mini aerodynamic para sailer that will assist the rider to jump higher/farther and land softer (retail of $1500)...

dont know how true it but that is what i heard...
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-14-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
LOL this is great...

Chris, take a look here to figure out who travis is...

http://www.TheBoardingSchool.Com
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-14-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Chris

I notice you just registered and all, but maybe you should consider registering under a new name and starting over. Thats gonna be a tough one for me to forget.
Old    chocobeat            08-14-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
chase i couldnt agree more!! looking back at my comment i realize people cant really tell what i was laughing at (online e-thugging between shaun murray and travis moye) but yeah, chris should just start over, im still laughing at this whole thread
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
chris is a wrench
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Alright guys i just come on here to learn about stuff that is going in the industry,tricks tips,ect. I dont really get off on these forums like alot of you do i am sure so if i have pissed some of you off its the least off my worries. Cry more..... And no offense towards Mr. Murray cause you are the man.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
Chris, I don't think you really pissed anyone off, you just kinda made yourself look.... look... bad. Just remember when you post something, "most" people on here know what they're talking about and have been on here for a while so just be aware about whats goin on.

Travis, nice!!!! LO(LOLOLOL
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
I'm not saying that Travis is wrong or anything. But what Byerly said to me...THESE WORDS CAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH AT THE PRO TOUR STOP....he is starting a company THROUGH hyperlite called square one. so like some of you have said it's gonna be a sub company. maybe he was pulling my leg but who knows.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-14-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Not knowing who Travis is and then saying something like "He works for hyperlite and actually knows Byerly personally unlike yourself im sure" is pretty presumptuous for someone who admittedly doesn't get on the forums much. Then, instead of swallowing your pride and saying "Oh man, my mistake", you instead say "I don't get off on these forums like a lot of you", thereby isolating yourself a little more. You deserve everything you get.

**edited for niceness**

(Message edited by taylormade on August 14, 2006)
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-14-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
Square One is Ronix, I believe. Chris, you are great. You made my day. Great thread.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-14-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
LOLOL Chris! I guess you SHOULD get off on the forum more often!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
What's in store for Hyperlite???

Brisk sales....as usual.
Bigger and better marketing
Continued new market exploration, and new innovation.
Continued growth.

They may not have to power team they had, but Hyperlite is to wake what Fox is to MX......a SOLID brand, and trusted product. They won't go silently into the night!

I am buying a Ronix....but I own 5 Hyperlite boards and 7 sets of Hyperlite bindings one set being 3DS closed toe, so I trust them enough, and guys like Shaun enough to continue giving them my money. Right now I want a 142 Murray, a Roam and a Byerly skate, but I also would like to own a new Ronix, O'Brien Natural, and an LF Watson.
Of course...my wife would shoot me if I bought all that at once....so.

By the way...on the dock Saturday at OWC...someone yelled out.."Who here is buying a Ronix?"....I only heard two people say "Me".

(Message edited by foxrepdc on August 14, 2006)
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Word to Cut-n-Jump. I forcast they will have an excellent year in 07 and then settle into the market. Everyone should respect my forecasting abilities because I successfully forecasted last year that our local weatherman didn't know how to forecast very well.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-14-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Like Travis would know anything anyway..... Cut N Jump? Lol! I heard he's starting a new kneeboard company, it's called Square Knees! A totally square wood finless kneeboard. Don't tell anyone.

(Message edited by solo on August 14, 2006)
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I heard he's going to have an airchair called the Square A$$ too!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-14-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
Fox, good post. Their pro team will definitely have to rebuild -- more like start over. Byerly is one of the legends, i know, different division. but behind that division, is hyperlite. and the incredible branding they've established over the last decade won't just disappear. They will lose some sales of course and Ronix may win in the long run. But i expect hype to be there with a strong presence for a few more years.

Byerly made a pretty bold move. Odd that his board is more rookie friendly, but i guess he can capture all the newb hype board sales this way. Glad to see he'll be calling the shots for Square one
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
I'd give any one of my right limbs or organs to own the #3 wakeboard company in the world! I'd say that's the worst they'll ever be! Of course, the way the sport is growing....I don't think the #10 guy would have any problems keeping the lights on.

DC
Old     (key_daddy)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Ear muffs
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-14-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
Chris,

I ain't mad at ya! Welcome to the board. Its a great place to learn.

Mike
Old    chavezychavez            08-14-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Foxrepdc - on the same page buddy. I too have speculated that HL is going to at least try to copy the Fox model.

Look for lots of softgoods from HL, and look for them to appear in places you all haven't thought of yet.

Think Fox.........
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
Pac Sun here we come!
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
When I was a wee child and still rode motorcycles, I remember Fox being mostly (if not completely) tied to moto. It's always been weird to see them expand into other sports. Not a bad thing by any means, capatalism demands change, I suppose.
Old    chavezychavez            08-14-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
First stop, PacSun

Next stop?

Macys?

Nordstrom?

Who knows!
Old     (wakerider900)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-14-2006, 9:14 PM Reply   
On the same page, but why am I on my 5 set of Murray's? Why is my Murray board 11.6LBS? And I'm just ready for a fresh start, just listen to the Ronix pod casts and I'm with Them. Its just not healthy for the other companies to have the claw system as just the start. And I ride MX and Fox is not THOR its still the highest quality and always pushing the limits on all they do? Byerly brand? Shaun and Travis need thre own brand, I can relate to them and have even meet both of them and would trust my kids with them for the afternoon. Hyperlite is concerned about the bottom LINE just read the Alliance interview. RONIX............................................. .................................................. ...............
Old     (goodnews)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-15-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
Johnathan: Sorry to disagree with you. Mike and Obrien were both Hyperlite -- Ronix will be like Hyperlite, you can change a name, but not the mindset.

Right now, Ronix is only getting a lot of hype because it is a new name. These two people supposedly supported the enclosed toe boot, which (by most accounts) did not go over to well and has cost Hyperlite a lot of money in replacing torn bindings. My thought is that Hyperlite might actually gain strength with their new business plan. My bet and hopes are for Hyperlite!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-15-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
Not sure if Hyperlite can pull that off though....here's why. When I went to work for Fox...I was kinda surprised to learn that we only had TWO paid MX athletes...RC and Bubba. They had almost 20, paid professional athletes and only two were MX racers. The rest were FMX, Wake, Skate, Snow, Surf, BMX, and MTB. So, the decision to mainstream a little was a neccesary thing for Fox. How could they sell to X Games and Wake fans/customers all through MX shops?? No way. As the Sportswear line grew, so did their market share, which was nice for them while it was a growth trend, but now that it's flat, it's only another outlet for them. Remember when Puma was blowing up the malls? Gone now!

Hyperlite only has a wake audience at the mall....I mean, I buy my Billabong, O'Neill gear at the mall, bt I'm certainly not Pac Sun's #1 customer, and only because core wake shops around here only stock boards, boots, ropes, and vests. The only way Hyperlite can really make a go at it is to retail it themselves....a la No Fear stores. Select cities, largest malls, the Hyperlite Store, where you and I can buy all things Hyperlite. I think that's really what's next!!! And I'd LOVE to manage a region for them!

DC
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
it's funny how there's zero chance that chavez is interested in any hyperlite board or bindings, but yet, you see him in every other hyperlite thread.

hyperlite will be just fine.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-15-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
joe: how do you know all this stuff about everyone?
Old    chavezychavez            08-15-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Umali is psychic. Or psychotic.

Whatever, it's one of those. Or both. Whatever.
Old     (finleym)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
For everyone who is throwing off on Travis Moye, just so all of you know he is one of Shaun Murrays best friends as well as Shauns boat driver and he drives the boat for the PWT (Pro Wakeboard Tour) events. So I would say that he know what he is talking about.
Old    atom_ant            08-15-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
......here we go again
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-15-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
thank you Melody for that wonderful piece of info.
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-15-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
im sure melody was just trying to clear things up for anyone who didnt know....lets not start another disagreement over something like this...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Back to the point please!!!

Where and when can I get my hands on some Cut-N-Jump gear?? I am getting really tired of tubing and need a new thrill.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-15-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Melody, Travis and I are friends as well. I was just razzing him a bit.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-15-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
See I heard through a guy who knows a detailer down at bigtimemarinedealerusa and he said that the whole hyperlite team is going to jump ship and move to Tube Lite and it will effect sales in no way shape or form.
Old    nate_b            08-15-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
I can't wait for the bottle openers. Imagine goin up for a grab and cracking open a cold one.
Old     (getsome137)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-15-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
sweet...i have been looking for a nice new set of cut & jumps....for those of you who don't know...they are the future of adrenaline laced watersports in the U.S.A........lol
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2006, 12:28 AM Reply   
Maybe Travis can drive a boat. But his uncle, Daniel Moye is the real hero, he installed a steel plate with 8 screws in my leg after a wakeboarding fall gone bad... awesome surgeon
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-16-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
I would think more or Travis if he knew how to call a guy back...
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
Let me address several things here.

The bottle opener is the wave of the future. Anyone who says different needs their head checked.

Steven Hahn and I are not friends. I have a restraining order against him under the new pro tour stalker-razzi law. He isn't allowed to get within a 75/300 lens of me.

David, glad to hear Danny took care of you. I have made a few trips through there as well. One of his partners reconstructed my shoulder a few years ago. I knock em' down and he sets em' back up. It's a good racket.

And, Ronnie, I can't believe you would throw a brother under the bus like that. After all we have been through.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
Travis, you driving next week?
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
I read on the wakeboarder.com forum that Steven broke into Travis' house just to grind his dirty shoes into his couch cushions - that's what wrecked the friendship. Right after I read that thread about Square One being Byerly's new company under Hyperlite.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-17-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
I figured Byerly's new ride would have a roach clip somewhere, I was WAY off!

Travis Moye...hmmm not ringing a bell. This business partner of his, this Sean Murrah character, is he a rider or something? Why do you fools respect these tools?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-17-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Jed: He actually ruined a duvet cover that I got for a wedding present.

Randy: I'll be there from Thursday on.

And Big Heavy: You may want to google me under, "Tri-County Crochet and Yodelling Champions, 2001-2004"
Old    chocobeat            08-17-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
stephan, jealous?? sure there are tons of sackriders in the wake community, but jesus christ man, just because people have sackriders doesnt make them the tools.. if anything the kids who write biographys on the pros (who are just like everyone else) are the tools, not shaun or travis
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-17-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Jesus, with the exception of a few people who just don't see what's going on, this is a great thread.

I love the grinding mud into the couch comment.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-17-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
First of all I'd like to say that the Bill of Rights allows me a few luxuries as an American. I am allowed to photograph anyone or anything as long as I'm within a safe distance. Now in Travis's case the court says that's 200 yards.
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-17-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
Travis, I hope you get sober before the next tournement Yellow bindings
I heard neon colors are making their comback as well...

Hyperlite has good products. As long as thay can keep a couple of good pros in the team they will be allright.
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
this thread is shot...
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-18-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
OK Grant.....your question was "What's in store for Hyperlite?" Did you get your answer?

I think they are teeing it up for something big. Can't forget this fact....there's a big bucket of cash somewhere in the HO offices in Washington state.....they'll use it!
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-18-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
yea my question is answered. im just sayin this went from hyperlite to travis moye. alls good
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
I believe that Ronix will rise to power quicker than most of us think, heres why. Obrien has been running hyperlite for all these years, and in these years hes learned a lot of things about equipment and the consumer, hes even made mistakes just like everyone in some areas. However, now he has a new company now, he will make some mistakes,yes, but he wont make the same mistakes he did with hl hes too smart. He has a new company with great riders and great hype, and a ton of knowledge for this industry, i think hes gonna rise fast. and i think parks knows what hes talking about when he says, "strap on your seatbelts, its gonna get roudy"
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-19-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
can i be friends with travis too?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-19-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Justin, you know we are tight. How's the married life?

Grant, sorry for the hijack. Just having some fun.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-20-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
Travis, I truly laughed out loud at this thread, thanks!!!Upload
Old     (njladydriver)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-20-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
I laughed out loud as well! I'm still laughing at Chris who didn't know the relationship of Travis and Shaun and tried to set Travis straight! Poor guy.

www.njwakefest.com
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-20-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
trav, it's good man, thanks for asking. the crazy thing is i've been riding more now than i did before. that day, i took a second(a few times) to think about some of the stuff we talked about that. i don't care what they say you're a good guy.

and ronnie, i really was going to come stop by out there when i was delivering that malibu to omaha but i got someone else to do it. maybe i can come just for the fun of it sometime.

grant, sorry i just contributed to the hijack. but hype still has shaun murray, j.d., ruck, grubb, etc. as far as i know so their team's still relatively solid. and i think they'll still keep the premier shape. that's about the only hl shape i like.