Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-22-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Any one know what happened after the first photo to make this weird turn, thanks SteveO for the photos
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-23-2007, 3:16 PM Reply   
Tough to tell, but I have a couple guesses.

1) You might not be evenly weighted with your feet at take off and it's giving you a twist.

2) Or, you may have a natural tendency to flip with twist.

Again, tough to tell. Anybody else have a thought?
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
I would say its something coming off the wake. Hard to say if you're coming off edge early, or too late. That first picture should like like you're shooting straight up off the wake pulling your knees up towards you. Any pics of the approach?
Looking at that first picture again and judging by the spray, I'd say youre coming off edge late, and still squaring up in the air. Try to start squaring up in the trough or just before, and stand tall and pop at the very top of the wake. Just a guess, more of the approach may help
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-25-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Look where the handle is in the second pic. This is a mistake I made due to learning Tantrums on the trampoline first. On the trampoline I would use my arms to help initiate the flip---don't need to on the water! Try to keep your arms low--I push both arms down as I square up to the wake and stand tall.
good luck
Old     (marbles)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-25-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
When you pop off the wake, it looks like you're initiating the rotation with your upper body and not your legs. The wake may also be part of the problem.(not big enough) It looks like you have to force the rotation instead of the wake "boosting" you up and into the trick. This may be throwing everything off a little.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-26-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
In this section of the lake the wake flattens a bit.
Actually I was pretty proud of the height.
I am also trying to go for a more layed out version of the tantrum instead of a "back tuck" or legs pulled up version..I like the looks of that floating better.
Is that incorrect?, It's more natural for me to pull my knees, but my head stays forward instead of going back to see the water.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       10-27-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Compare your first pic with the 2nd to the left image below. This is where your body should be. In your pictures it appears that you really didnt get enough rotation to complete the flip, and to compensate for that you pulled the handle accross your body to try to flip faster, but in reality all this did was put you into a spin.

Upload
My recommendations:

1) Really try to use the wake to trip you over. It's hard to tell from your pics, but you'll feel it when you do it right.
2) DO NOT pull that handle accross your body! Bad things happen when you do that. Keep the handle in your left hand out in front of your left hip throughout the entire trick and landing.
3) Keep the handle in a little bit closer throughout the trick, having your arm fully stretched out is going to screw with your body position in the air.
4) Lose the cap, it looks silly.

-Steve
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-29-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the twisting as much as I would about the edge/pop. Your board shouldn't be out in front of you like that. Think about flattening out just before the wake and letting it trip you up and over. You shouldn't really have to "throw" it very much.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-29-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
Eubanks: do you think I am initiating too late? You are referring to the first picture..makes sense.
Steve: cap is silly but 40F air with 55F water on it at 24mph makes for quite a wind chill-beats the helmet I used to use

Thanks guys
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-30-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yeah David, I was talking about the first picture. Do you own The Book or another instructional DVD? The best thing is to watch the tantrum done in slo-mo over and over and over. Watch when they come off edge, watch what they are doing with the handle, watch their body position at the wake, etc. The tantrum can be tricky and you really have to understand the mechanics of it.

It's hard without seeing the video, but chances are you are not coming off edge. Think about cutting into the wake fast but then totally flattening out as you ride up the wake. This will give you the trip pop you are looking for. It sounds confusing at first but really watch some video of people doing them and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-30-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
Here is a great one to learn from. Kyle Schmidt has IMO the best and most effortless looking tantrum out there.

http://www.wakeworld.com/TrickList/TrickTip006a.asp

He comes off edge VERY early but he is carrying enough speed in the beginning that he can still clear the wake. You probably won't do it that early but the rest of the mechanics should be the same.
Old    stoked27            11-08-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
My opinion - it seems like you might be turning the board at the top of the wake (to trip the board over) too violently. If you look at the picture posted by Steve, you can see that the board isn't completely squared up like you do so soon. I don't square up that violently, so I'm thinking maybe if you're turning your board so sharply at the top of the wake to square up, it's going to carry over that turning into the air.

I've noticed that when I learned them, I didn't think of it as "squaring up", I was told to pretty much try to let lower body bail out of the trick at the last second (but still pop). Like if you imagine yourself completely bailing out of the trick just before jumping, you're going to prepare to slow down and recover more in the middle of the wake. You're not going to immediately straighten the board so violently to recover because you're going to fall over.
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-08-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Dave,

Easy fix man... You need to keep line tension against the rope throughout the tantrum... This means when you leave the wake you keep the same line tension when you are in the air. Once you stop resisting against the rope and start letting the rope pull you, you lose all control. Also, in the picture your line tension starts in your hands. I would try putting the line tension in your shoulders. It is like how you pull in tug of war, when you're winning. Good luck... Everything else in the picture looks fine to me...
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-09-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, appreciate the imput.
Ryan, dont understand your suggestion to put the line tension in my shoulders,
do you mean to keep the arm straight?
Evan- good point
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-11-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
No.. You have 100% of the line tension in your hands so, your forearms are the only muscles in your upper body holding the handle. Try to have 40% of the line tension in you hand and let the other 60% fall on your shoulder muscle. This will help your upper body get pulled together, not pull your arm then your upper body.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-11-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
David,

To land this trick you must, "kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit!" Everybody knows that picture was taken mid summer, 90 degrees with 78 degree water temp. You just like the way the cap fits.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
I have had good comments on that cap, and some wives have commented on the tight fit
Old     (jxn_bonifay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-10-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
i have the same trouble with this trick.. i think it comes from trying to initiate the flip too fast before the top of the wake ..some of the things mentioned in this thread seem like it could work ..thanks
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
Looks to me like you are making the flip happen, and not waiting on the "trip". That is the whole part of this trick, wait wait wait wait wait, then you will feel it buck your feet over your head. You gotta wait on the trip, or its never gonna go right.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
i had a similar problem and was told to concentrate on kicking my head STRAIGHT back. a little off center would send me spinning. I had to consciously think straight back and it worked. i guess i was kicking my head back off center a bit.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-01-2008, 9:15 PM Reply   
I made this for my sister who had the same problem