Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-16-2012, 7:53 PM Reply   
I have had a home on the water since 2008. We spend all summer there. I have been slalom skiing since I was 7 and am 43 now. I have 3 kids 6, 11 and 13. My 11 and 13 year olds are really good wakeboarders. We went to Costa Rica 3 weeks ago and got surfing lessons and all 3 of us just loved it so we have decided to take up wakesurfing. My current boat is a Tige 24V and it throws a real nice wave without even using ballist bags but I plan on buying a few anyways. So my local dealer sells Ronix. I am thinking of buying the Cortez because even though I know that the real surfboard constucted boards are nicer with all the kids that will be riding the board I think I need one with the compressed construction so it will last.

Once I find out how much I like it and if I get good at it I can purchase a traditional construction wakesurf board for myself and only use it myself so I don't have to worry about damage. So what is the consensus on the Cortez? Also any other suggestions on a real good durable beginner board?

Thanks,

Chuck
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-16-2012, 9:25 PM Reply   
The Inland Surfer Squirt will be out very soon (if not now). It will be priced near the Ronix Cortez, it is compression molded, and it will out perform any compression molded board.
I would try to wait for one and snatch one up quick. Last year they sold out pretty fast.
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-16-2012, 10:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I'll check one out. unfortunately I have to buy one online no local dealers.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       04-17-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
I tried to buy a Squirt last week...no one had one in stock. One place called IS and they said they were expecting a shipment in 4 weeks.

I bought a Hyperlite Broadcast.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-17-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
One of these boards will work fine as well. My 11 and 13 year old boys ride it, my 130# wife rides it and I am 5'10 160#'s and I ride it. It is a fun board!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inland-Surfe...item4d001fb2de
Old     (procos1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-17-2012, 7:59 PM Reply   
Mitch,
How does the CWB Tsunami compare to the Inland Surfer Squirt? My local dealer has last years CWB Tsunami model for 25% off or a 2012 Ronix Koal at full price. I called him today and told him about the Inland Surfer and he told me he was going to add another company to his line this year. Said he was considering Phase 5 but after I told him about the Inland Surfer Squirt selling out so fast last year he said he might add that to his line. Is the CWB Tsunami a good board?
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-17-2012, 8:04 PM Reply   
the koal is fragile, not the choice if you want a stonger constuction. Phase 5 makes great boards, really strong and you can find them online as well. most everyone on here will tell you to stay clear of wakeboard company surf boards. inland, phase5, xxx, soulcraft, stixx all make great boards, call the companies and tell them what you want and they will have a price point board that will work for your needs and out perform the wakeboard companies products for the most part. good luck
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-18-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
The Tsunami would make a good "boat" board that everyone can use. If you ride regularly you will want a more high performance board after one season but when you invite friends out they can learn and ride the Tsunami and have fun doing it.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-18-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
go with the IS Squirt. Great beginner board and when you advance it will be a great boat board.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-19-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
I am in the same sitiuation looking for a good beginer board. I am 6 foot 200# and my wife and kids are 5'2 to 5'5 105# to 120#. Plus I will have all of thier freinds in between my size and thier size. I was looking at a Koal 5'6" today but it felt to big and they also had a 2011 Cortez at 4' 8" and 5'2". The Cortez was $125.00 less as well. What is the best all around board for someone who wants to get a good starting board for a wide range of Kids and Adults.????
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-19-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Tal Cloud, the Inland Surfer Squirt
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
I have the Ronix Cortez, pretty boring board but a tad bit more exciting than the CWB Ride that I have had for 5 years. Only reason I keep those boards is for new people to try out. On the Cortez, I took the outer fins off and just run with the large center fin and that made it a little more fun. The Tsunami is better than the Ride, it's actually kind of fun. I had an Inland and a Phase 5 Prop but sold those for a TWP that is on order.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-19-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
I have the Ronix Cortez, pretty boring board but a tad bit more exciting than the CWB Ride that I have had for 5 years. Only reason I keep those boards is for new people to try out. On the Cortez, I took the outer fins off and just run with the large center fin and that made it a little more fun. The Tsunami is better than the Ride, it's actually kind of fun. I had an Inland and a Phase 5 Prop but sold those for a TWP that is on order.
What size board should I get based on my post?
Old     (josh22)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-01-2012, 5:00 PM Reply   
For those recommending the IS Squirt, is it a better board than the Triple X Nitro and why? I've heard a lot of good things about both boards.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-01-2012, 9:02 PM Reply   
No experience wth the Triple X. That being said I do have the IS Squirt, and for the $ you cant go wrong with it. You can go from a surf feel (with 2 fins) to a skim feel by putting in just on fin in the middle. Its fast, It responds well, durable, and fits in the wakeboard rack. Its like getting 2 boards in one.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-02-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
We like the LandLock board. Kids ages 10, 8 ,6 and 4. All of them love it cuz it is huge and they can ride it easily. All new riders start with that board and seem to catch on quick since it is so big. Might think of something like the Landlock.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-02-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
we have 5'11" Landlock too and its good for kids because they are light but marginal for most other folks over 150 lbs. Its good beginner board but lousy for tricks or shredding because of the shape - its cheaper, durable and slow. Its good to start with but you might outgrow quickly and then get another which works too for alot of folks.