Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2006, 10:16 PM Reply   
Looking to get a medium zoom with fast glass to use in low light. I realize the canon 24-70 L is the key but not sure if I want to drop the $1100 for it when I'm just starting to learn photography. Was looking at the Sigma and Tamron and the price is right but will I be dissappointed with the quality and eventually spring for the Canon?

I have read the million reviews on Fred Miranda and for some reason I trust the people here on the forum better.

Anyone have any opinions?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-24-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
I've owned both the Tamron and the Canon 24-70L. The Tamron I had, other then a little softness at 1 corner at f2.8, was every bit as sharp as the Canon. AF is fast as well. The shot below was done with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 on a 5D. The first is the full image, the 2nd is a 100% crop. Looks pretty good to me!
Upload
Upload
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-24-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
I love my Tamron 28-75 as well. There's not a whole lot of them but some of the Sigma and Tamron lenses perform just as well as their Canon counterparts. (i.e. Sigma's 15mm, 70-200, 100-300, and 120-300 are all absolutely amazing lenses and reasonably priced)
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-25-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
I have a Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, and the only complaint I have with it is that it has trouble autofocusing in less than ideal light. I've never used a comparable Canon lens, so I really don't know if it's any better.

Photo quality-wise, the Sigma does everything I want it to.

Daniel
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-25-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Some of the sigma lenses I've owned were the same way, great IQ but slow as far as AF goes as well.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
That does seem to be the problem with the third party lenses that they seem to hunt in AF. Is there really a preference between Sigma and Tamron. I like the idea of Sigma with it being wider at 24mm but it won't be worth it if the IQ is bad at that end. I may have the wife convinced to let me buy the L series but like I said, I'm just starting out here and it may be overkill initially.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-25-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
I'm not a big 24-70 f2.8 L fan, they are pretty bulky, I don't like the reverse zoom and the IQ while good isn't spectacular. I've only owned the 28-75 as far as Tamrons go and the AF on it was fine. As far as Sigma goes I think it varies greatly from lens to lens. Get one with HSM and you should be OK.