Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-21-2005, 8:35 PM Reply   
Were from NY. Anyone have any problems.Planning to go see Darin.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-21-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
there are no crocs in orlando
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-21-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
I realize you're from New York, so I'll give you a break. "crocs" do not live in the U.S., at least that i know of. Alligators do though, and there are plenty on florida, but i dont know about Orlando. i dont live in in Florida, but i've been there enough to know that there arent any crocs. over here in SW Louisiana, we have alligators too, and while they arent really a problem on the river, we know that they are there, so we try to stay away from the banks as much as possible unless we're hitting one of the rails. Just the other day we had all of our dogs out at my grandfathers house, and they were playing on the boat launch and one swam about halfway across the river before we saw it. that was a little scary.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-21-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
I've been to Darin's place before and there are definately alligators on his lake, but they don't bother you. When you are on his dock looking at the lake, the alligators are usually on the far side of the lake and even if you riding over there because of wind conditions, they stay away from the boats.
Old    wakelurker            09-22-2005, 12:20 AM Reply   
regardless, aligators are scary and menacing. they'll eat your ass...and not even care! someone give me a tranq guN! that being said..., they make fine purses....and tasty meals if grilled correctly.........their memory shall live on as they hang on my arm.........and they taste oh so good, and oh so dangerous~ i've got a great recipe if anyone wants it....for cajun chili -
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2005, 4:40 AM Reply   
Wrong folks.There are Crocodiles in Florida.Mostly in the everglades.They are just not as common as the American Alligator
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2005, 5:28 AM Reply   
jim white is correct, I live in GA and many of my boating trips end up in FL. I have splashed a few with my board, thank god I didn't fall. And times that I have fell in the water ive seen them come off the bank and go under towards my direction, but they never come up. I guess the boat scares them off. If you go somewhere were they are over populated you will be in trouble in the water, because food is scarce from all the others they will eat what ever they lay eyes on. No need to worry if it's a real broad body of water because they are so spaced out they have plenty of snakes and fish to eat. There is also an interesting gator farm to Visit in St. Augustine if your in the area.
Old    fl_girl            09-22-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
There are crocs here, but in the brackish water by the coast. I go fishing over by KSC and there are huge salt water crocs there. Only alligators are in fresh water. They won't mess with you, but just don't swim at night. Oh yeah, don't go in Lake Jessup.

(Message edited by fl girl on September 22, 2005)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-22-2005, 6:49 AM Reply   
are ther crocs in orlando at disney's animal kingdom?

It is also fun to try and catch gators at night.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-22-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Yeah Nichole, you remember that girl that went out for a night swim on a boogie board with some friends on Lake Conway a few years back? Got drug under by an 11 footer, but she fought back and only ended up with a broken arm.

There was a North American Crocodile hanging out off a beach near Miami a few months ago. Scared the crap out of some people, but they say they're much less aggressive than the "salties" that you see on the Croc Hunter.

Victoria - LOL
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-22-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
"It is also fun to try and catch gators at night."

Crazy hill billy.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-22-2005, 7:01 AM Reply   
This post is a croc of sheet.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-22-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
haha david you got me pinned.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hey Mel, you missed a good time at Lake Shasta....
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-22-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for rubbing it in BRAT! Lets see some pics. It was false advertising or I could have gone. Almost free was the fact of the matter. Appreciated the invite though. Did ya see any crocs while you were there?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-22-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
not in Orlando

but they are in New Orleans.....

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_croc_new_orleans.htm

or people on the internet are trying to say this guy was swimming the streets when in fact the pics are from the Congo

you would be like an appetizer for this guy once you hit your dub of course
Old    fl_girl            09-22-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
David, yeah I remember and thats why I know not to swim at night. It was right down the street from me.
Tim, are your seriously asking if there's crocs at Natazu? Anyways, I'm not sure.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-22-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
nichole, i had to think of some smarty pants way to show that there are crocs in orlando. the most logical place is a zoo! I don't know for sure though because I avoid disney/universal/I-drive, etc like the plague!

at night you don't swim, you go out with a spotlight and find gators!

Old    fl_girl            09-22-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
I've been w/ my dad gator hunting on the St.Johns River on an airboat, it was a blast. I just hate the damned mosqitos. Fried gator tail, yummy.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-22-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
yeah the 3 or 4 times we have wakeboarded on the st johns we have always seen gators.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-22-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
Where is Steve Irwin when you need him.....?
Old    grizzle            09-22-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
I bass fish on East Lake in Tampa and see several gators each time out, but when the wakeboard boat starts running the gators all hide, and we very rarely see them.
Old     (mike_baione)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-26-2005, 4:14 PM Reply   
Thanks alot. Were going at the end of this month we will deal. If she gets eaten i will let you know.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-27-2005, 12:00 AM Reply   
I heard they hate mustard, so you could try lathering up with some of that stuff.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-27-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
Hahah I haven't heard the mustard one yet. Don't have a dog in the boat, becuase they are suppost to be attracted to them or something, guess they find them rather tasty though. So if you have a dog better cover him in mustard.
Old    260searay            09-28-2005, 3:16 AM Reply   
you guys are all crazy.....i am in ohio and worry that a over grown perch is going to eat me sometimes haha
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-28-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
if you put mustard on your dog, and put it in a bun, then you are not too far from appetizing the gator with a hot dog
Old     (balti)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-28-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
I had the same question a few months ago regarding GATORS in orlando. I just returned from Wakeboard Camp, Clermont. Spent a week on the water, three sets a day and not once did we see any "deadwood" drifting. It doesn't mean that they are'nt there. To my knowledge they seem to be rather wary of humans. If they get to close they usually get shot or dragged off to some other location.
Crocs on the other hand are a different story. Apparently there is someone that posts on these forums that wakeboarded in Zambia on the Zambezi....hell I've been there and I cannot imagine even putting my finger in the water. They have crocs, hippos and tigerfish...they have teeth that look meaner than an alligators. Strangely there are more people attacked in Africa by hippos than crocs.

So just go and stop stressing.

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-28-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
you should have had them take you up the crooked river while you were in clermont. it is connected to minnieola and there are def gators there.
Old    dyonisus            09-28-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
isnt much like worrying about sharks when you are surfing, you know they are there, but you stay well away from them and hope they do the same for you.

I myself have never seen a shark while surfing. Never wakeboarded in Gator country so cannot speak on that!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-28-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Gators are incentive to land your tricks.
Old    big_rob            09-28-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
I don't think we have any Gators or Crocs in North Mississipi . . . but there are some really big Catfish.
Old    gtroit            09-28-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
too bad the lake i live on has more gators than any other lake in florida
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Yes, there are plenty of gators around Orlando, including on Darin and Shaun's lake. But it is pretty widely known among the locals that if you smear your body with Newt Juice or any other binding lube, it will keep the gators away from you, as they are repelled by it. Plain old shaving cream works well too. Just apply like sun screen. Ask Darin, he'll tell you it's true. Trust me. I've been to Orlando plenty. I'm sure some others on here know about this, can I get an Amen?
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       09-28-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
I went to shauns camp, we didn't see any gators.... I was scared for the first couple days i was there but that didn't stop me from boarding! I just made sure that they pulled me up quickly! You'll probably be a little freaked the first couple days, but you'll get over it real fast.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-29-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
I've been boarding with the gators for about four years now (since I moved to Charleston). We see them more often than not when we are out on the water. They have never been a problem - we leave them alone and they leave us alone. On the other hand, I would be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with the situation, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've never heard of the Newt Juice/shaving cream repellent theory (or should I say placebo) before. Maybe I should carry a can and shoot it at them if they ever come my way.

Here's a link I've posted on WW before. I take a look at it periodically to allay my gator fears.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/ecoview/Eco41.htm
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-29-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
The Newt Juice theory is a proven method of gator prevention on Florida lakes - products such as Moose Juice work just as well and appear to be more readily available around Florida.
Dococ - you get an Amen...