Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/711490.html?1248805915

That was the previous post that I started on the subject. I think that grant had a good diagram of what needed to be done. The link was something like "svtsupercharged.com" but it's no longer working . To upgrade the charging wire from the alt to the battery would it be better to leave all the factory wiring in place and add an additional heavier gauge wire and breaker directly from the alt to the battery. Or upgrade the existing charging wire that goes through the main breaker?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
You could also pull the cables that go from your starter to your batteries off and replace them with a large gauge cables directly from the alternator and block.

The easiest sounds like just adding a larger gauge positive from your alternator directly to the battery with a breaker. Remember that you will have to upgrade or add a negative cable as well.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
I ran a second dedicated charging wire direct from the alternator to the battery in front and the ground from the front battery to rear battery. 2 gauge from memory (both + & -).
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
Thanks guys I think I am following. Just need to figure out how to incorperate the Perko Switch with this as well. Can't believe it took me so long to figure out that this was my problem with the boat just dieing in the middle of the lake. I would have to wait like 15 to 20 minutes for the main breaker to "cool" enough before it would actually reset. The only thing was by then I had already reset it and nothing happened so I assumed it wasn't the problem. Kept checking other wires until finally everything would just spontaneously come back on. I think what sounds easiest to me would just run a separate charging wire directly from the alt to the perko switch. Would it be okay to leave every factory untouched? i.e. leave the current charge wire hooked up through the main breaker to the starter?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Leave factory stuff untouched. Just run the additional wire to the common post on the Perko. There will be 2 wire hooked up here now. The stock one that comes from the starter and the one you are adding. Then run an additional negative cable that is hooked up to the same 2 spots the stock negative cables are hooked to.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill. The alt should have two wires coming off the charging stud then two right? The one I am adding and the factory one?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-11-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
Exactly.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-11-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Thanks Brett.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
Wanted to update this with some pics. I took Brett's advice and just piggybacked the current system in place and hope I did everything right. I installed a 100amp breaker and 4 gauge charging and grounding cables. I even left the old ground wire in place even thought I could have probably left it out. Let me know what you think. I used welding cable and ran out of red heat shrink so forgive the blue on the charging cable.
Attached Images

Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-03-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Was going to start the boat yesterday but wanted to see if someone could verify my upgraded wires real quick before I did and blew up the boat lol
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
Bump for Brett
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...25083&page=999