Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-12-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
I have found an excellent 2002 ssv with low hours...and have made an offer which was accepted. The only thing I need to do to seal the deal is test drive the boat.....as far as the mechanicals go what would be a red flag....what should I look for. I have only had outboards before ..so need some advice. The boat is mint and has under 150hours. Used mostly for cruising and water skiing and a little boarding. How do you tell if the engine is cracked from wrong storage....I guess the motor wouldn't work at all. without a compression test how can you tell that the motor is good?

thanks
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 SSV with about 390 hours on it. My only problem was a leak from one of the wakeplate actuators at about 340 hours, and I've heard that this happens sometimes. If the leak is bad enough to need repair (as opposed to topping off the reservoir each season), the telltale sign is ATF floating on bilge water. I's an easy fix that doesn't cost much.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems, and I'm not aware of any other common issues with these boats that you need to check out.

As for the engine, you should be able to identify a cracked block by: checking the oil for contamination (which turns it to a milk-chocolate color); and watching the temp guage while running it pretty hard with ballast. Other than that, you'll have to trust your instincts in evaluating how it runs, or have a mechanic look at it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
service records would help, particularly if they had it winterized by the dealer each year. I do that myself and couldn't prove on paper that I did it.

In addition to what Jeff said, look for good oil pressure at higher rpm. Also do a visual of the engine block using a mirror and a light.

You can be over 90% certain, but if you want to be 100%, you could have it checked out. They could also tell if there are any issues with the v-drive transmission, if the motor and shaft are in alignment, etc. It does not have to be a Supra dealer, any inboard mechanic can do it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-12-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
exhaust manifolds are the first thing to crack if it wasn't winterized properly. could be an issue up where you are. the manifolds are on both sides of the engine and will be the bolted to the engine right next to the valve covers. they will stick up higher than anything else on the engine and have a 4" hose that runs to the back of the boat.

Check the bottom of the manifold on both sides. Any cracks are an obvious problem. Also look for rust coloring in this area as hairline cracks would leak and rust.

water in the oil would indicate a serious internal engine problem and you should run away from the boat as quickly as possible. as long as it fires up and runs good, you should be ok.

IF you do see cracked manifolds, then have it looked at by a mechanic. These are several hundred bucks to replace, which isn't a big deal if you're getting the boat at a good price. *BUT* could mean the boat has bigger problems than you see. Enjoy your boat