Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   

Whats your guys feelings? Do you enjoy watching what the Shredtown guys or doing or would you just rather see traditional wakeboarding behind a boat.

Rumor is there going to be some boat riding in the shredtown part of Lipsmack with a little Shredtown Flare.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-06-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
what do you mean by SHREDTOWN? OR TRADITIONAL WAKE? What is traditional wakeboarding? What is normal? A skurfer sure wasn't normal to the ski world, twin tip wakeboards weren't traditional to the directional boards that came before them, Parks' first 1080 wasn't "traditionally" done before, and I'm sure the first wake jump wasn't very traditional at the time. So because of what SHREDTOWN is doing is different, new, and progressive, it isn't real? It isn't wakeboarding? Please explain.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Both.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-06-2012, 5:11 PM Reply   
Strictly personal preference - I enjoy boat better. No cable within 9 hours of me, so I don't get a chance to ride them. I like to watch what I can do, or at least attempt. Boat is where it is at for me.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-06-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
I dont think Dirty was saying the Shredtown stuff wasn't wakeboarding, just that its a different focus or style if you will.

For me personally I LOVE what these guys are doing, the more wakeboarding expands and gets creative the more we will grow our sport. Traditional wake, cable, winch and obstacles, its all good!

Cant wait for Lipsmack to drop
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Sorry the question is now that a system 2.0 is cheaper then a boat if you had a lake to put it would you buy a system 2.0 or boat?

Traditional wakeboarding is behind a boat.

Shredtown has been using jetski, winch and now cable to wakeboard for quite some time.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-06-2012, 6:20 PM Reply   
No I get the question. I prefer boat videos to cable, winch, system, and jetski. I like the style of inverts and spins to rails and boxes.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-06-2012, 7:49 PM Reply   
I absolutely love watching guys ride creative features like Shredtown does, but I also love a good solid helping of boat riding too. I think they compliment each other really well. Being more comfortable behind a boat makes you more comfortable on a cable, and vice versa. Its all time on the water that will make you a better rider. I get to ride boat more often, so I'm better at that, so I prefer that, but I very rarely turn down a trip to the cable.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-06-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
I find Shredtown's videos boring and I don't usually watch them. That said, I have huge respect for their creativity and the insane skill and daring it takes to ride like they do. It's just not the kind of riding that inspires me and gets me pumped.

"Traditional wake" is probably not the best term, but I know what you mean, and I prefer that to Shredtown any day. But if I ever meet the Shredtown guys, I'll be sure to give them some well-deserved props!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-06-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
I would rather watch Lyman or Vandall style video parts, but I definitely wouldn't skip the shred town section of a vid either.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-06-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
+1 for Lyman and Vandall!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
Good discussion.

The next 10 years are going to be interesting as more and more people first learnt o ride at wakeboard at the cable and might never take a boat set in their lives.

As Cable parks keep popping around the US the wakeboard community is going to have a lot of people seeing wakeboarding for the first time. Skateboarders and Snowboarders might relate more to the Shredtown style of wake then the Boat style.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-07-2012, 2:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofab View Post
Skateboarders and Snowboarders might relate more to the Shredtown style of wake then the Boat style.
This is very true. It can only help. Anything to get the sport more exposure is a good thing.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-07-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
maybe your question should have been "do you guys like wake to wake riding or rail riding"

i prefer watching rail riding
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Every time someone opens this thread does it give that video a hit???
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-07-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
I would rather see rail/cable riding all day because thats what I have access too. That transfer to down stairs is insane. Movie looks like it will be awesome!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-07-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
For anyone worried. There will be tons of boat riding in Lipsmack as well.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-07-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
ADUB - DirtyCracker is a smart fella... . . .
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       03-07-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
Boat riding, sorry cable just doesn't look as cool and rails put me to sleep, however I do think cable parks are the future of this sport so it's good to get it exposure
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-07-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
no preference, as much as I bag on cable riders for prespinning, I enjoy the hell out of watching anything wakeboard related..

..as long as there is no gay ass artsy sh*t
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-08-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
It's weird to think of being a wakeboarder and never riding a cable before.