Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (red89)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-06-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
I'm looking for a new HD camera that will give good quality picture, with a stabilizer, or something that will make it not shake when filming form the boat.

I want to make a professional looking video with a low budget. I also need a good bit of recording time (don't know how that works for HD cams). Figured it would be best to ask the other riders. Anyone have any suggestions under 1000 dollars, hopefully much less. I am pretty clueless with cameras, just really into riding, and like putting videos together. Am just tired of them looking like junk because the crappy quality, and lack of smoothness in footage.

Just need something that will do the job right.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-07-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
i'm wanting the same questions answered also please?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-07-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
I just got done with quite a bit of research on HD Camcorders. I found that for the money the mid level ones seem to offer the most. Around 500 to 700 is the range you really get a nice camera. I read a bazillion reviews, and am a Canon person and settled on a Vixia HG21 from B&H Photo. They have some very comparable deals and are not shady at all, totaly legit seller. Recording time depends on how much flash memory cards you want to buy. That is why I ended up settling for the 21. It has a 120 gig hard drive and you can also use flash memory cards, plus they had it for 600 off list at 699. www.bhphotovideo.com
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-08-2010, 12:50 AM Reply   
I just got a Canon HF200 and I like it - its a consumer level hand-held, so I dont think you could do the next "global warming" on it, but its easy to use and has a real nice picture.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
I just went through this and found that uTube was pretty handy for watching video tests. For the price, I ended up getting an HF100 and then I found a good deal on a GL2 so I scooped it up. Unfortunately, my PC can't handle the hf100 hd files so I might be selling that one. I'm still not 100% convinced on the GL2 though.....
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       01-12-2010, 2:14 AM Reply   
Spent about 3 days doing quite a bit of online research looking for a similar setup. Using a Canon Rebel XT for 4 yrs, I started with Canon. Initially noticed the HF20 and HF200.

After perusing a couple other manufs, JVC, Sony, Panasonic, I went back to Canon. Reason I went back to canon was user reviews and industry expert reviews were all really middle of the road. Nothing extra odinary, and the Cons for each were usually something rather important to me.

I ended up ordering the Canon HF-20 yesterday from B&H Photo. I went with the HF-20, because you can also get an underwater housing from Canon specifically for that camera, and it is good up to a depth of 120'. I wanted this for water level video and since I do SCUBA, would be great to get some u/w video for a change.

Good luck in your research!
Old     (red89)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-12-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
Just bought a camera yesterday also from B&H photo. Looks like they're getting a lot of business from us. I bought the HG 21 whcih looks to be a great camera, was 699, comes with 120 GB hard drive storage!! And great quality picture. It's only downside that I saw at all is its battery life is short, so I bought a used battery and charger which reviews on the battery say it last all day for only $30.

Still looking into stabilizer, they are expensive, think I might try to make one. Another youtube video showed one a child made that worked great also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTRbGXJvrA
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-12-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Stefan, you bought an outstanding camera. Be carefull with aftermarket batts as the camera may not show the battery charge indicator with non Canon batts. Most all HD cams and the battery they come with have short life. Most people will add the extended play battery.
Old     (red89)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-12-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Sparky, I bought one that wont tell me on the camera, but it was 40 dollars cheaper. I will just use the aftermarket battery first when filming. When it dies I will switch to the Canon so I know how much time I have left overall.
Old    00wakesetter            02-03-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
Stefan, i was looking at the same one. Do you know if they make a water proof housing