Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-02-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
want to buy an 03 04 sanger v215 v230 or a malibu vlx or lsv. need any and all feed back on reliability, work under warranty, wake size, drive ability, workmanship, any positive or negatives about these boats, dealers in redding and all of ca. thanks
Old    hundo            01-02-2005, 5:41 PM Reply   
http://www.malibuboatowners.com/

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/196177.html?1103325289

(Message edited by hundo on January 02, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-02-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
Mike,

This is a really hard question for people to answer in a fair manner. You will find people here are passionate about the brand they own, some really let go and publicly bash competing products so keep an open mind when you read the replies.

Personally, I feel it is a matter of values. In my opinion both boats have a lot to offer. The Sanger is a little more specialized with low production runs. The Malibu is a high production unit that appeals to the masses. If you want something a little different go with the Sanger, if you want a product with a huge following go with the Malibu. I have said before it's like comparing a Maseratti to a BMW.

No doubt you will see posts that bash the Sanger for using wood in their boats, something that all manufacturers did in previous times with very good success. Sanger claims the wood is impervious to rot. Personally I have owned several boats with wood stringers and have never had problems but I take care of my stuff and don't let water sit in the bilge. Sanger does a really nice job with thier gelcoats.

My next boat will likely be a Malibu for lots of reasons including the fact that I am good friends with the Malibu dealer. Go drive the boats, crawl under the bow of each with a flashlight and make your own decision.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-02-2005, 7:38 PM Reply   
mikeski what do you mean crawl under the bow with a flashlight? what am i looking for???
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-02-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Crawl up under a storage space to see what things look like from underneath. Fiberglass layup, wiring, hardware (splitwashers vs. nylok nuts), etc. You might be surprised how ugly some boat wiring can be.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-03-2005, 12:50 AM Reply   
I can see the next boat war thread starting. So before it gets stupid I will give you my opinion. Either boat you choose will be great. The V230 is a huge boat lots of room and very good handeling for it beign so big. I haven't spent much time driving the Malibu, so I can't comment on the handeling. The Malibu does offer more bling in the detail. I was deciding between the VLX and the V215, for me my money was better spent on the V215 simply because I felt I was getting more for my money. It was a hard choice but one that I am happy with. Go to a boat show and climb all over the modles your interested in and find out what one suits you best. It will be the small things that sell you on one or the other.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Mike and Gary ~ Yup I agree with both of you!!

But Mike definetly has a point,you might be suprized how ugly some boat wiring can be!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-03-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
I agree with both of you but would add one final piece to the puzzle----DEMO THE S---! out of each of them, then with out outside input listen to your gut feeling..
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-18-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Sanger line has everything you need. V210/215/230...something for all your needs. I love my V230. Enough room for all the family and all the gear(friends gear too). Wake enough for up to advanced riders, and theee best quality.
I had older prostar and a sky supreme, and my Sanger is hands down the best boat I've had. Just my two cents...I know many happy owners of BU's also.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-19-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
Mike S.

hey I am not sure if you have made a choice yet but either way you go you will have a quality boat. I personaly would push towards a Sanger, Thats just me. If you have any other questions or need any info let me know, I will do my best to get you any answers to questions you might have on the Sanger. For me my Sanger experience has been great with a very family type feel through the purchase and service of my boat. If you get one let me know and i will ad you to my list for a future Sanger gathering.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-19-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
Gary,
Add me to that list, too..
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       01-19-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Army Dad you got it, shoot me your e-mail and I will add it to the file for folks to notify.
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
gary, i hate to say it but the biggest problem i am having is the local sanger dealer. i think that v215 would be fine for me. but personally i think they are chumps. i read on these threads that "you are buying the dealer as well as the boat". i just do not get a good feeling from them. i know after warranty you can go to whoever to work on your boat. but during warranty ???? can you please go to my profile and e-mail me about your dealer and sales person. thanks mike.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-21-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
Mike- I know the feeling. I have two dealers that are closer to me than the one that I actually bought from. It's an hour and a half drive to take my boat in for service, but well worth it to know my boat is being taken care of properly.

mb
Old    wes_the_gimp            01-24-2005, 6:32 PM Reply   
My V210 is less expensive than my cousins lsv, throws a narrow, virty wake, is way more prone to take water in over the bow, has way less storage, & is easier to maneuver.

lsv has a cool bow ballast tank, I wish I could have it.

the lsv also has perfect pass, hot water shower, & a heater. All boats should have these too!!!

the V210 wake is hard to charge, its like flying into a wall that throws you straight up! Some people have trouble hitting it.

the lsv has a smooth tranny that is very easy to hit.

the wedge on the lsv has broken screws two times in the last 7 mos. Dealer fixed them.

My cousin doesnt like the titan tower.

Sorry to ramble. Hope this helps.
Old    chavezychavez            01-24-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
Wes,

That is not a good comparison. The LSV would stack up against a V230, not a V210.

Also, the V215 and the VLX would be in the same ballpark.

Gotta compare apples to apples. My vote goes to the V215, but like others have stated, I have rarely heard a 'Bu owner complain.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-25-2005, 5:33 PM Reply   
Mike,

I bought my Sanger V215 last year. I went to the Pleasanton Boat show and looked at several. I looked at the Malibu but decided that paying $10k more for the NAME wasn't worth it. I tested the Sanger & MB sport and the Sanger won hands down. No bumpy ride or as I put it... It passed my "boobie test". I LOVE IT.

As far as the dealer goes, what area are you in? I am in Sacramento and bought from CV Marine in San Jose. I have also heard that Tracy Marine has great customer service.

For the warranty work, I have spoken to the Northern California Sanger rep about the very same thing. We didn't want to drive all the way from Sacramento to San Jose everytime we needed work done. He said anyone can do the warranty work as long as they accept the warranty rate that Sanger will pay. I think it's $65 and hour or something like that. If they charge more, you are responsible for the difference. If it's engine work, they need to be Mercruiser certified.

I have had a couple of little issues and Sanger has been very good about taking care of them. I don't know that you will get the same service from a giant like Malibu.

Here in Sac, I have found a GREAT mobile mechanic that does work on my boat as well as several other friends for a reasonable price.

My two cents...
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-26-2005, 5:35 AM Reply   
Mike,

Im went through the same issues that Renee went through. My nearest Sanger dealer is 3 hours away. So before I decided to buy a Sanger, I made sure that I could get any warranty work done near my home.

I havn't been in a newer 'Bu yet (been in a couple older ones), but I hanvn't heard anything bad about them. As for Sanger, I can't find anybody that has owned a Sanger to say anything bad about the boat or the company.

One thing I like about the 'Bu over the Sanger, is that the hard tanks in the 'Bu are in the hull, taking up 0 storage space. In the sanger, they take up about 1/3 the rear storage per tank. This is very minor, but its something.