Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 4:43 AM Reply   
So... I just had the pleasure of driving to Houston and back to pick up my new set of Rev 10's. I will make this review pretty straight forward. I left a 3:30pm Wednesday and arrived home safely at 5:30am Thursday so Im sorry if it's no quite as in depth as David's review @ Earmark.

Me leaving Austin with Pro 80's on.

Had to stop and refuel, this should get me another 300 miles.

First off, these things look amazing out of the box, they look much more up to date in comparison to the Pro60/80. I give them 5/5 stars in the style department.

I also got my hands on a set of the first LED rings that Wet Sounds is manufacturing in house. Wet Sounds is now manufacturing their own LED's as well that are extremely bright. From what I heard they will be offering them in the near future. It looks like a ton of time/money went into tooling these rings as they are injection molded and not made like most rings - lexan. The LED strips they are using are also super bright and have more LED's per inch than most of what I have seen out there. The new Rev speakers have a step in the grille so you cannot make rings like the 60/80's. The rings have to have a step so the grille mates into it and another step for the led strip. From the looks of it, it would be really tough for a dealer to make them. There is a small amount of drilling involved to hook these rings up. A small hole is need outer rim of the speaker to run the power wires. My only suggestion for Wet Sounds is to offer these speakers predrilled for the customers out there who dont want to mess with getting their Dewalt out. It took about 2 min on each speaker. I give the rings/LEDs 5/5 stars in the quality/craftsmanship department.

Rev 10 ring

My old Pro 80 with lexan LED ring...no comparison to the Rev 10

Close up

By the time we got everything hooked up I was it was quite late and there is a neighborhood that backs up to the the shop. Right as im about to rip on them Tom at Texas Stereo looked at me and me and said no, not happen'. Im sure I would have woken the whole damn neighborhood up but oh well. So i turned them up about 1/4 way and followed DaveEarmark foot steps. Turned on Stevie Ray Vaughan. Texas Flood to be exact(we need rain). The sounds were very smooth, soft, musical and nice mid bass punch even at low volume. I caught myself still listening to the towers alone after a few minutes. Funny thing is I left the in boat speakers off with no subs. That is usually the first thing im trying to crank up. I cant give you guys an actual review on how they really sound b/c i need a chance to tweak some things and let the speakers break in. Apparently they need 10-15 hrs of break in before the mid bass driver really starts to sound good. So I left my iPod on and left the volume at 1/4 way up and I drove back to Austin with them playing. I figured i may as well break them in on the road...

Ready to hit the road.

I will follow up later today with a more detailed sound review and better photos. So far I'm really happy with the upgrade! Big thanks to Tom @ Texas Stereo and Tim @ Wet Sounds for making this happen! It's 6:45am now I need to get some rest!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-23-2011, 4:53 AM Reply   
Looks great and you ain't lying about needing rain down in ATX and South Tex. With got 3 inches this week in up in DFW.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-23-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
hopefully they send that fresh rain down to us via the LCRA dam system
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-23-2011, 7:15 AM Reply   
They look awesome!
Old     (rockstarcustoms)      Join Date: May 2011       06-23-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
when you mount the leds to the lexan are you mounting them to the inside or the bottom, what are you using to hold them in place? Sorry for the noob question
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
Looks awesome! Hey, what kind of LEDs did they use on the seat base for the floors?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarcustoms View Post
when you mount the leds to the lexan are you mounting them to the inside or the bottom, what are you using to hold them in place? Sorry for the noob question
First off the rings arent lexan. The LED strips are fixed to inside lip of the Rev 10 behind the grill. The ring drops in, then the grill lays over the ring. Re-read my post about the rings and you will understand this a bit more.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarcustoms View Post
What you are probably refering to is the lexan seat base - not LED's. We removed the seat base, chopped off 1/2'' off the bottom and replaced it with 1/2" lexan. all hand shaped to the base of the seats along the floor. The LED's are behind the lexan. Not an easy job to say the least.
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Brian. I gotta ask........what in the world do you do for work to have the much extra to dump on the sickest LED and stereo set up and Boat in general, I have ever seen!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-23-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
movin work on the streets of houston, and backing some big players in the screw game.... factorykitted and dj screw (robert earl davis) went way back. RIP dj screw
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-23-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
Props to WetSounds...looks killer.

LOL at spending money on gas and being "the first". cool!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
Diesel or V-10 Excursion?

I normally tow with a 2011 Duramax 4x4 on trips or my 2011 Avalanche around town....

just picked up a 2000 excursion limited v-10 2x4 to use on longer trips when there are more than 2-3 people in the truck... taking my VLX and 8 peolpe if to BROstock this weekend, just wondering what kind of MPG to expect
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-23-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbush11 View Post
Diesel or V-10 Excursion?

I normally tow with a 2011 Duramax 4x4 on trips or my 2011 Avalanche around town....

just picked up a 2000 excursion limited v-10 2x4 to use on longer trips when there are more than 2-3 people in the truck... taking my VLX and 8 peolpe if to BROstock this weekend, just wondering what kind of MPG to expect
better take out a home equity loan. You'll probably get about 6ish on the highway.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2011, 1:33 PM Reply   
i towed it to our lake house this weekend. 150 miles round trip mostly flat interstate 70-75mph... and averaged 8.1mpg... but i did let it sit idling for about 30 minute with the puppy in the car
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Mines 7.3L diesel 4x4. I get about 11.5 mpg with the 23 LSV, highway towing on pretty flat ground around 70mph. I try and keep it right at or under 2k rpm.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-23-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
Brian,

Looks awesome as always. Cant wait to hear the boat with 4 REV 10's and 4 XS-XXX. WOW.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
I'm about to head out to lake test them and shoot some photographs. I will review them tonight.

Last edited by factorykitted; 06-23-2011 at 3:09 PM.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-23-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
Wow Brian I was getting about 16 MPG towing my MB F23 with 8 people to Havasu with my 7.3 excursion with the edge evo programmer and intake. Might want to look into a programmer =-/
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
yeah the truck is bone stock other than a tune - i believe its hypertech. regardless its need to go.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-23-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
Those look great, 4 of them are going to be insanely loud, nice set-up!
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
Just got back from the lake and got to play around with Rev' 10's - as always Wet Sounds never disappoints. So far I can tell these speakers are much warmer and enjoyable/tolerable while listening up close at high volumes. Unlike to the Pro 80's which would rip your head off at high volumes while up close. They also had quite a bit of mid bass punch, I could actually feel it, i never experienced this the Pro 80's. Im still a fan of the Pro 80's but these just sound so much smoother up close and are a much more well rounded speaker that can not only sound great up close at all volumes but as absolutely rip while riding 80ft back. Im very happy I made the switch as we do a lot of partying in the boat and the 80's will down right tear your head off unless turned down quite a bit. At the of the day it depends what you are looking to get out of a speaker. If you just ride and only want to hear the music back at 80 ft, the Pro 80 will do the job damn good. If you want a speaker than can do it all - buy the Rev 10's. No regrets here.

One question for Tim - When are we going to see a updated Pro 485 with 10'' mid bass drivers? Can wait to hear those!

Enjoy the pics...

Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-23-2011, 11:33 PM Reply   
Wow! Great photos of your setup. Now I'm really looking forward to the upgraded 485s when they come out ...
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2011, 12:00 AM Reply   
Looks amazing!!!!!! How did you get the LEDs around the windshield? That may just be my next project....................Good job to all who worked on this.... Truely an inspiration boat!
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-24-2011, 3:54 AM Reply   
Brian,

Those speaker rings look great, I especially like how they can be seen both inside & outside the speaker.
The light is really even, not easy to see the individual lights.
Is that due to the high-density LED's, or are the molded rings more frosted?

[threadjack]
You are probably the best person to ask this question, it has been on other threads:
Do your red LED's attract insects? How bad?
I consensus seems to be that white/blue is the worst for attracting bugs, and red/green attracts the least amount.
I am asking this after installing my blue LED's ;-( .
[/threadjack]
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-24-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
pma
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-24-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
windshield LED's are extremely difficult try at your own risk!
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-24-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
my boat is very blue and i've never had a bug issue
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-24-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisz View Post
Looks amazing!!!!!! How did you get the LEDs around the windshield? That may just be my next project....................Good job to all who worked on this.... Truely an inspiration boat!
Same concept as the seat base along the floor. It raises the windshield up 1/2". A peice a lexan was cut and shaved to match the angles of the winshield perfectly. The lexan was then tinted the color as the windshield. During the day you would never know the windshield was modified. All i can say is dont try this at home, I think Tom has a solid week into this windshield alone. When you raise the windshield you change the geometery of everything else and several others things need to modified and lifted.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-24-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
I had a bug issue on my previous boat with blue leds I think it was caused from the 4 white leds on the underside of the Illusion tower than shot down at the floor. To answer your question, I dont have issue bugs with red.
Old     (txstereo)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-24-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Brian, Turn it down! I can hear your new REV10s all the way over here!
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-24-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
The bar has been raised once again!!

Great job Brian, Tom, and Wetsounds
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
Thanks Murphy. So far I have a few hours on the Rev 10's. I will say they definitely need the full 10-15 hrs of break in on them. The drivers are finally starting to losen up and damn do they sound good. However, even as stiff as they are right now they blow the doors off the Pro 80's. I dont mean to sound to repetitive but you can actually listen to the speakers.
Old     (ckdollar)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-26-2011, 8:08 PM Reply   
Is that a champagne bottle holder?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2011, 8:22 PM Reply   
Of course it is, don't be ridiculous. Brian your boat keeps getting more and more ugly.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-26-2011, 8:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdollar View Post
Is that a champagne bottle holder?
No, stainless steel trash can
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-26-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Of course it is, don't be ridiculous. Brian your boat keeps getting more and more ugly.
the worst
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-27-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
brain- looks awesome man! you think they will do the Rev 10 LED rings in RGBs or only single colors?

ryan- how did that excursion do pulling up to Bull Shoals? we took a 2011 Nautique 230 behind a 2011 F250 FX4 with a programmer and intake and WOW was i impressed at the mileage! i have a lifed Duramax crew cab that is chipped, exhaust and intake and pulling my 210 i usually get around 15, but the FX4 got that pulling the 230 up into the Arkansas hills! if i had to guess... i'd go with 7ish?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-27-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
I highly doubt Wet Sounds will be offering RGB strips. Maybe Tim will chime in?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
brain- looks awesome man! you think they will do the Rev 10 LED rings in RGBs or only single colors?

ryan- how did that excursion do pulling up to Bull Shoals? we took a 2011 Nautique 230 behind a 2011 F250 FX4 with a programmer and intake and WOW was i impressed at the mileage! i have a lifed Duramax crew cab that is chipped, exhaust and intake and pulling my 210 i usually get around 15, but the FX4 got that pulling the 230 up into the Arkansas hills! if i had to guess... i'd go with 7ish?

I towed a little over 500 miles, and ended up at 8.1 MPG average.... both on the way up and back we stopped for over an hour and left the truck running with the puppy in it! it did a great job considering we had 8 people in the truck, and probably 1,000lbs extra in the boat

I've got a 2011 Duramax crewcab 4x4 that i normally tow with, we normally get 10-11 mostly interstate
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-27-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
I am told that they will offer RGB rings for the Rev8s for sure
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-27-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
its not the ring its the strip. if they will be offering RGB for Rev 8 they will offer it for Rev 10...
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-27-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
We will have RGB and single color! We designed our own LED strip that provides more LED's per inch than many of the others and also a really cool RGB. Both have 3 LED's per inch and on the RGB each LED is a 3 in 1 chip with RGB all on one. Meaning that when it is a solid color it’s almost as bright as a single color. Most of the RGB LED’s the chip’s are spaced far apart and some even have a separate red, blue and green led so when in red, you get one third the light etc. Our single colors are still brighter than the RGB as they have the same spacing but the entire chip is one larger LED. However both these strips are BRIGHT. Plus i made them on a black pcb and not a copper color so they look better behind the rings and when in use. We will have red, blue, green and white and RGB.

We will be offering a full line of LED's in both rolls of single color and rolls of RGB as well as controllers too. We will have our custom cut LED rings with pre wired strips to fit the 60,80/485 and XS-650 as well as the opaque injection molded rings like what Kitted is beta testing for us for the REV speakers.

So to answer your question frosty. Since we are injection molding the rings, we have developed a material that is more opaque yet in a smooth ring. So the way the light is distributed is different than a regular acrylic ring. That combined with the tighter spacing on the led's gives it the really nice glow and not the hot spot single led localization.

The LED's will be ready in a short time.

Tim
Wet Sounds