Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dantampa)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-08-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
Hello All,
Its my first time posting. First let me say that i appreciate all the knowledge that is shared on this board. It really helped me and my friends in the beginning and still does throughout my progression in this sport. So here goes:

I have been wakesurfing for about a year now behind my SANTE 220. I use both wakeskim and wakesurf boards. I am decent on both. I have never surfed in the ocean and am headed to Costa Rica in december for two weeks to learn. Will my wakesurfing experience help ease the transition from behind boat to ocean surfing? Also i have a few months left to prepare, i plan on riding at least three days a week from here on out. Is there any thing i should be working on to help make the transition easier. Thanks Again.
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-08-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
i wakesurf a ton, and snowboard all winter long, after taking a two hour surf lesson in sandiego a couple of years ago, i caught three waves, and rode straight down the wave face. So no wakesurfing you are crossing the wave face which is the same as surfing but i would assume it comes later in your surf career, your first few times will be figuring out timing of your drop in, then when and where to pop up and then finding your balance.Then you will probally start going across the wave, more like wakesurfing. I couldn't drive a car for three days, from all the paddleing i did. Start swimming in a pool now!!!!. Ocean surfing should be called, paddling with occasional standups! have fun

(Message edited by nwrider on September 08, 2009)
Old     (dbh_brad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
Paddle the lake to get in shape. When you fall behind the boat, paddle to the boat. Start on your belly and after the wave/wake is formed behind the boat pop up to your feet.

As NWRIDER said, surfing is more paddling and reading the line up then actually riding waves.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-09-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
I don't know if it will help or not. I took a surf lesson in Hawaii a few years ago and got up on my first try and loved it. Like these guys are saying, it's more paddling than anything and if you aren't in top shape, you will be hurting after awhile. What I found to be the hardest part of ocean surfing was catching the wave, standing up and riding the board wasn't nearly as hard as all of the paddling and getting the timing right. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-09-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I'm so glad these guys all basically echoed exactly what I wanted to say.... Start working out your upper body..... surfing in the ocean is basically swimming for hours and hours and getting your ass kicked while you try to figure out the right timing to catch a wave.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-09-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
The 3rd time I did ocean surfing (a day after a lesson) I decided to rent a board and go at it myself since I had the concept of catching the wave down and could ride the wave pretty good once I caught it...that was a bad idea that day. We were in Maui and the waves were 6'-12' that day, I got my azz kicked sooo bad! I took the board back after a half hour and the guy laughed at me but it was better that I returned the board than drown!
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
99,99% of paddeling, duck diving, wipe outs, swimming, reading ocean waves, tides, currents, catching waves, exhaustion ... and then if you are lucky few seconds of riding
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-09-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
These guys are telling you like it is, you might want to watch the www.SurfStronger.com video. Get your shoulders and back in shape before you go.

I would highly recommend you hook up with one of the surf camps down there, it's much easier to learn if you get good coaching from someone who knows what they are doing. Also local knowledge will help you find the right conditions.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
Also watch other surfers how they do it, and choose right waves for you... surfing videos are great inspiration. Watching pro contests in real is also very helpful.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-12-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
I'm transitioning to the ocean this fall... fight your way through the shore break...
Paddle, paddle, paddle, wait, wait, watch the dolphins play, wait, wait, wait, enjoy the gulls playing in the wind, wait, wait, good wave comes, PADDLE,PADDLE,PADDLE, POP-UP, wave closes abruptly, get crushed, fight your way back out, rinse, repeat.
Doesn't sound like it but it is a lot of fun.
Old     (ericlassiter)      Join Date: May 2007       09-21-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
hahaha...I too recently got to do some surfing in the Ocean for the first time. And as everyone has said, it's MUCH different than wakesurfing. A TON of paddling and waiting!!

Biggest thing I'd recommend is to start paddling in a lake now and get your shoulders strong as well as your neck. My neck was getting sore from having to look up on my belly. It also didn't help that I didn't take a break for about 4 hours.

You want to also make sure your board has plenty of wax on it and wear a rash guard. I was surfing the hurricane that ran up the east coast a few weeks back and got my stomach and chest so raw one afternoon that I couldn't stand to lay on the board the next day when the waves were REALLY going off. Hopefully I won't make that mistake again. I was pretty pissed watching beautiful waves all day long and not being able to at least try and surf them.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-21-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
+ 1 on the shoulders and back!
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-21-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Question: Do any of you who started out wakesurfing think you would have even tried ocean surfing if you had only wakeboarded or whatever? Do you think wakesurfing inspired you to try oceansurfing? Just try to figure out if Wakesurfing is inspiring more oceansurfing.
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-21-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
+ 1 on the rash protection. Rash guards are great for sun protection, but I've found the only thing that really stops rash is a 1 or 2 mm vest. O'Neill makes a good one.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-21-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
@Clay - trying Ocean surfing is what made me want to do Wakesurfing! I realized that I couldn't move to a coast/island right now but I wanted to surf. I discovered wakesurfing, had never tried it and sold my I/O and bought my Tige right after seeing it for the first time and the sole reason was to wakesurf! Wakesurfing for me isn't as cool as ocean surfing but it's as close as I can get. There's just something about "conquering" the ocean that makes it more rewarding for me and I've only ocean surfed 3 times!

(Message edited by timmyb on September 21, 2009)
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
I always dreamed about surfing at first.