Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-28-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
socks or no socks....thanks in advance.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-28-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
no socks, for your own dignity please
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-28-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
I didnt even know there was an option..... no socks
Old     (hyperboarder05)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-28-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
I really have no clue, but i have read somewhere that Murray wears socks with his bindings. i really don't understand what the point would be or why you would do it?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
hold out til CIE comes out with their 09 sock line.
Upload

(Message edited by wakemitch on January 28, 2009)
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-28-2009, 11:05 PM Reply   
Hahaha great looking toe socks. I've heard of people wearing socks in 08 Murray's. That's about it though. I vote no to socks as well.
Old    dperizzolo            01-28-2009, 11:08 PM Reply   
It might just be my opinion, but wouldn't socks slip out of the binding with more ease?
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-29-2009, 2:24 AM Reply   
This is wakeboarding not snowboarding. We're in the water. No socks!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
Socks are a must with the 2008 Murray bindings! For some reason they made the foot bed very slick so without socks your foot will slide all over the place.

I assume no socks with other bindings though. I hear they fixed this problem with the 2009 Murray bindings.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-29-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
I will prob never go without socks again......its hard to explain you just have to try it. I also have the 08 murray.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-29-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Michael...don't the socks get sopping wet/heavy/cold/irritating? If they were neoprene booties that would be one thing...but booty and bindings used in the same sentence don't make me think of wakeboarding ;)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Loren - I agree with Michael. The socks feel great on your feet! The only downside is putting them back on for your 2nd set in the winter when they are freezing cold. Now I've learned my lesson though and just bring along two pairs!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Here they are in action.
Upload
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-29-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
Loren......no the socks only feel like that once your out of the boot....lol!

The boots fit so firm....there is none of which you speak.

Truly it just feels like you are wearing the best fitting running shoes......you have no feeling of being seperated from the binding in any way shape or form...everything just molds together. While some may say thats how it feels without socks....there is a difference.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
My friends all wear socks now. They swear by it. I haven't tried...my Faction boots fit absolutely perfect. I also am the only one still rocking open toe boots. I hate closed toe.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-29-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
So what does everybody do with their socks after they ride? I normally just leave them in the floor of the boat and try to get some sun on them.

Maybe this year I need to hook up a clothes line from the tower for them to dry!
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
I wear socks too. I have the 07 shanes and it just makes them feel way more comfortable. Better fit in my opinion.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       01-29-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
I tried it, and will never ride without again.

A way to explain it is the difference between wearing your shoes with socks and then without. Your shoes feel loose and your feet move around. With socks they are snug and don't have as much movement. In words from the Karate Kid "become one with the shoe". And yes getting your shoe on and off is easier, its the same with your bindings.

Rock the Socks
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-29-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
^^^hahahha..."rock the socks"...love it.

Haven't tried it yet, maybe next winter.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-29-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure this stigma will wear off soon and other sports will start to give us the respect we deserve now.
First came the pants, then everyone said you gotta wear a jacket, and now this? Why not wear a turtleneck under the vest, I'm sure that feels superb and aids in protection as well. Socks are supposed to keep your feet dry, not this perverted act. I barely wear them with shoes, let alone on the boat. What do you do with them after you ride, just throw em on the deck, wad em up in your backpack, place them in a cupholder perhaps? Hell to the NO. Socks are something that should be worn with two consenting adults. Never, just willy-nilly, "hey check out my new sockbindings."
The only time socks should ever-ever be permitted on your person, is if your going for the 1440 or a similar trick. If you need that extra FEEL to pull off something historic, then by all means, do what you need to get over the hump and land it. Other than that, never should this be spoken about again-in public. This act, this display of footwear, takes away from what we do. Please take a stand, remain sockfree, not for yourself, for the grooms, the next generation that will ultimately live with this. We're better than this, we are sockless riders till we die. Sockout.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-29-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
like 4 years ago i got the original reef byerly shoes. When id wakeskate with them they felt funny. So one day i wore socks and all issues were solved. Its kind of funny that the people who swear by socks are the people that dont have heat moldable bindings. When i got my slingshots i got them a half size small (its what the rep recommended) They were so tight when they came in there was no way they were going to work. I thought about just sending them back when i said...hell i might as well try molding them first and see if it changes anything. Much to my suprise the entire boot molded because everywere was pinching, and not i have boots that dont have any play at al in them. Thus eliminating the need for socks (yeah i know my booties come out and you can wear them like socks :-) ) People often ask on here why the need to heat mold...people that wear socks have just answered that. Oh and the other sweet thing is the SS boots really do mold in your kitchen oven, unlike others that you have to take to a dealer.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-29-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
Chris

Has anyone tried just sock with a foam top wakeskate?
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       01-29-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
i wear socks in my bindings, makes them more comfortable.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-29-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
if your closed toe bindings are too big, socks will help make them fit better
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-29-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
please no...no.... they look so goofy. Even more so than socks with shorts normally look. Think of what the other boardsports will say.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-29-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
are you guys serious. have you no dignity? this is worse than some video i saw of a kid wearing a fullsuit with a t-shirt and no boardshorts. The only thing that goes over a fullsuit is your vest, the only thing that goes in your bindings are your feet. Dammit have some self respect people.
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-30-2009, 12:25 AM Reply   
In winter I will wear a pair of snowboardsocks and a pair of latexsocks above these. But the latexsocks will be attached to my drysuit which will keep me going unless the water is freezing.
That I think is a good reason for socks but it might be the only one.

(Message edited by waketac on January 30, 2009)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2009, 12:58 AM Reply   
wakemark, oneill has 3mm neoprene booties that keep your feet so warm. they are $25 i think. so worth it for winter riding.
http://oneill.com/mens-products.php?sport=surf&categoryID=1&typeID=7&seri esID=12&id=104
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-30-2009, 5:45 AM Reply   
Just ordered a pair, good call Mitch.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-30-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
the oneill neoprene booties are the best for cold water riding. especially when you where them inside of a closed toe boot!
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-30-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I think I'm gonna run out now and buy sick ass knee high tub socks to wear over my wetsuit. Maybe rock a tank top over my wetsuit too!

For Christ sake people, like Luke said, get a hold of yourselves!! Snap out of it! Sheeze! Dump the socks and never mention this again. Can a WW moderator just delete this whole thread? Hey, fanny packs are sooo useful, everyone should try them. Don't knock it till you try it! Good grief!! Hey, that neoprene headgear that covers your ears too and has a handy little visor thingy that surfers wear keeps your dome nice and warm. Lets all wear those in the winter. NOT!!

Again I second "have some self respect people."

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-30-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
I think this whole thread has its roots in a bet somewhere.

"Bet I can get the entire WW community to start wearing socks while riding."

Really, Socks? Remember the thread about how other board sports make fun of us.....socks are not going to help out.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-30-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
What's next matching gloves and the revival of the "baseball grip"? Good for a laugh none the less.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
OMG hahahah this is a joke right?
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-30-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
......no we are dead serious!!
Old     (popfarrier)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
I'm suggesting a nice wool scarf if you guys can wakeboard without socks
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-31-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
lol, alright guys thanks for all the advice, although it is pretty split. The only reason i asked was becuase i am buying my first pair of closed toe bindings and someone told me that a lot of riders do this with the murrays, so i just thought i would find out from the WW community.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-31-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
No way... Socks? SOCKS!?! NOOOOO WAYYYY! POR FAVOR!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
well i too think wearing socks may sound rediculous but after reading some that do maybe if they serve a real function and make tje rider comfortable and ride better and lessen their chance for injury than to each their own IMO.

I mean have you seen the attire of some other sports like skating there are some that dress straight punk,straight edge,rasta,gangstar,tats no tats,some where hats sidewys,some front,some back,some go baggy ,some go tight,some go full of color,some go black,some ride helmetless,some shirtless ,others the complete opposite

so on and so forth there are examples all over the action sport world and this is an individual expressive type sports and they have there own style or the way some see it.a lack there of of stlye..

so dont knock others for their choices,just simply state thats something your not into but being an ass about it isnt cool.

also dont knock it until you try it,maybe theres something to it in that particular boot or foot shape.

I mean i like the rifding jersey and an approved vest during the summer and i wear shorts over my wetsuit because i like it and i also wear a helment when working on new tricks or if im riding a tad off that day,so what maybe others perfer no helmet and a non approved vest..

I dont care what they want to wear,im not married or dating this person,we are riding because we love it so who cares what we are wearing while dong so?

get over it people..
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-31-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
I wear socks with my Answers. They just fit a little more snug, which I prefer. And I don't know why people are worried about looking stupid. Mine done come out the top of the boot.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-31-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
Having had a really serious foot injury in a closed toe binding that kept me from walking for 6 months, if a sock is going to make someones foot fit better in a situation where going down a size just wouldn't work, by all means they should be wearing it. I don't think any of you would go play basketball in sneakers without socks.

Not saying it's for everyone, I wear open toe bindings without socks, but if I had to go back to closed toe, I have a narrow foot and sizing down doesn't always get me a snug fit, I'd probably be rocking socks.
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-31-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
what happened in your closed toe bindings?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Probably jammed it
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-31-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
My foot twisted inside the binding and I had a joint dislocation fracture and torn ligaments (lisfranc - there was an article about a pro on here a while back with the same injury, but his was misdiagnosed from the start). I'm not blaming it on the bindings. I came down wrong from a trick I had landed many times, but the bindings certainly didn't help. When I purchased them they were so snug I couldn't get my foot in wihtout lube (purchased a size small). But once they broke in, they stretched and the lower area of my foot had more wiggle room than it probably should have which certainly didn't help matters. Personally, I think if I would've been wearing socks or an open toe binding the injury wouldn't have been as bad, but the injury wasn't the bindings fault, it was mine.
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
I couldnt resist Upload
Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       02-05-2009, 10:55 AM Reply   
Mike, snowboarders where socks... I been rockin socks in my pb's lately and its siiiick! tall black ones too..
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-05-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
There's the problem. Snowboarders wear socks because snowboard boots are boots. They were designed to be paired with socks and they keep socks dry.

Wakeboard boots fall into a couple of categories, those with liners, like Slingshot boots, and those without, like CWB boots.

Slingshot style boots are so similar to snowboard boots that I could understand there may be some advantages to wearing socks with them. That being said though, socks in a lake just doesn't sit right with me because they'd get soaking wet and be gross.

I think a more accurate comparison than snowboarders would be waterskiers... and they don't wear socks.
Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       02-05-2009, 9:23 PM Reply   
ewww gross wet socks! waterskiers dude? what!! ha waterskiing is so 1999
Old     (michaelb)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-07-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
i agree no socks with most bindings.but my 2008
Hyperlite Murray closed toes need socks because they rub your cafs somethen fierce.and it also gives you easy entry and exit plus they keep you from sliding forward on hard landings.
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-08-2009, 12:52 AM Reply   
i was loving what bill montanye was saying people are diffrent do what u want! get over it! who cares what other board sports think? im pretty fed up with stuff not being "legitimate" becuse it doesnt roll with surfing, skating snowboarding! do what you want if it works it works this is the best sport in the world ever and we dont need to fight for respect of anybody else! we are inovators not sheep.........altough socks do look retarded. hahahahaha.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Mitch... Those CIE socks are ill. Ha, ha, ha.

First off.... Who cares what other people from other sports think about us. I don't care what a snowboarder or a surfer thinks about me. If they want to call us pussies, then invite them out on the boat, tell them to go upside down at 27mph off a 2.5' tall wake and catch an edge on the landing. Let them see stars for a while. Call me a pussie, then. Do your own thing. How long did snow skiers make fun of snowboarders when they first came out? Not only that, but most of the ones that would make fun of wakeboarding suck on the mountain anyway. Almost all my friends that wakeboard, snowboard too.

Anywho, that said: I rock socks now. I got the idea watching Shaun Murray ride at Spring Ride. This wasn't my first choice. When all the companies went closed toe the bindings also got a lot stiffer. The socks do two things for me 1)they make the bindings fit better and 2)they allow me to release from the bindings on a really hard crash. I like having my bindings tight, but on a really hard edge crash I want to be able to come out. The socks help that.

Like I said, I couldn't care less what other people think about my socks. I rock what works and I think it works fine.

Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-08-2009, 8:26 AM Reply   
Murray pretty much started a sock revolution...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
they'd keep your feet from getting sun burned

honestly i tried it once, mainly 'cause i had a cut on my foot and the sock was helping to hold the band-aid in place. it was interesting, and i think i liked it, but i never tried it again to be sure... i also wouldn't give anyone any flak about it unless i saw someone with loose socks flipping and flopping out the opening of open-toed-boots.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-08-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
i used to laugh about the socks thing too. then i got my new bindings for '09 a couple weeks ago. i mounted them up on the board and went couch jibbing. they fit great. then one night i was a little under the influence and threw my shoes off without takin my socks off and realized how much easier it was to get in and out of the boots and how much more comfortable it was. socks will be in my riding bag everytime i go out this year
Old     (bwyatt74)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
the dignity of the sport comes down to whether we wear socks or not. now i've heard everything.

i've never worn socks but i've thought about it and now that people say its more comfortable, i probably will try it out. as for the sock "haters," im sorry to destroy the dignity of the sport