Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-15-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Okay I was wondering if you could just tap into or replace my interior lights that I already have in my VLX and put LED lights in? The power source is 12v power right. I would think this would be easier then rewire the boat. Plus I would already have a switch on the dash to turn it all on. It may be a fuse problem I don't know.

This would be instead of buying the Spydr harness kit.

Brannon
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       04-15-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
You need to wire them up with resistors. Otherwise they will burn out VERY quickly. Mine are wired with 3 leds and 1 resistor. There are about 30 in a row down the gunnels, but all in little sets of 3 with a resistor.

Check out this site for info calculating resistors to use with your LED's-

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_info.htm

Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-15-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
Hey thanks Luke.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-15-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
I bought mine from owllighting.com. Very nice and helpful.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-15-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
ef3529
I was looking at Owllighting. They have their harness kit as well and it is only $129.00. I really like the step LED and Cluster LED set ups. They look nice crome. 4 steps and 4 cluster in their kit.

Anybody buy this kit yet from www.owllighting.com ?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-15-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
www.wakespecialty.com

great support and products
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-15-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
You can buy LED replacement bulbs for your stock lighting system, I did that along with putting in a lot more LEDs. I don't remember the URL but you can google LED replacement bulbs and find them. They have the resistor built in, and are a direct swap, any color you want.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-15-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Psyclone, I looked all through google and can't find it. Do you have any idea what the company name was you bought it from?

Brannon
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Try http://www.autolumination.com/. They have LED replacement blubs for you fixtures or LED tubes that you can wire in place of the stock lights.

Upload
Upload
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-16-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Larry thanks for the info and the pictures too. Your boat looks great.
Brannon
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-16-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
Hey Larry,
Looking at the website and then looking back at your pictures. Did you go with the 3 LED or 8 LED dome in the bow and what did you do for your cabin area? Looks good what ever you did.
Brannon
Old     (onamission)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
I used the light tubes for the gunnels and engine cover. 15" for the front, 36" for the back and 6" for the engine cover. The smaller tube are form http://www.varad.com/index.phpI think the tubes look better then putting in 4 or 5 step lights in the same area. Total cost for the tubes and changing all of the storage area, running and anchor light blubs to LED bulbs, about $125 with shippping.

(Message edited by onamission on April 16, 2006)

(Message edited by onamission on April 16, 2006)
Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
Guys,
I'm about as dumb as they come when dealing with LED's. What gauge wire is everyone using to connect single LEDs in a series of say 5 on 12V circuit? Do they need a fuse? Does it matter if the resistor goes on the positive side of the LEDS or the negative side, I have been seeing both on different websites?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-22-2006, 3:33 PM Reply   
Doesn't matter where the resistor goes.

the smallest wire you can find. 22 or 24 gage would be fine.

A fuse is always a good idea. a 5 amp fuse would be way-way-way sufficent. If you could find a 1amp fuse - that'd probably work. I don't think your LEDs would be over 200milliamp each.

Old     (schackdaddy)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks Craig
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-26-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
Brannon
They were great to deal with and I ordered the chrome. I just replaced the existing led's and replaced the white courtesy lights with the led clusters. I did have to do a little work on the courtesy lights but it worked out great.Upload
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-26-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
ef3529,
I recently bought some LED dome utility lights from www.autolumination.com . They are okay, they were cheap and I just wanted to try some out before I went for the high dollar stuff. Kinda want to see the effect before I jumped in. Larry hooked me up on the website. I also replaced the bulbs only in the bow and walk through area with the replacement red 9LED bulbs. That was quick and super easy, that looks great. The 8 LED domes on that same site are a lot brighter than the 3 LED domes and are water proof as well. I put some Red led domes on back transom behind the stainless steel grill (VLX). It turned out good. The domes are rated 10 to 15v power. I didn't put a restrictor as of yet, but like I said I plan on buy the better product now and will do it right.

Brannon