Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
I just got back from the Gekko dealer meeting in Minneapolis and the future for Gekko is very bright.
As some of you already know, Gekko is now being built by IMAR in Fargo who also builds Sugar Sand jet boats. Let me tell you that these guys and gals are very professional and organized in what they do. It was good to see how committed they are to building the best ski boats humanly possible and to take the Gekko line to a whole new level.
There are going to be huge changes in fit and finish, promotion of the brand, new concepts and ideas that already sets Gekko apart from the other traditional builders. Thicker vinyl, thicker foam on motor boxes and new hull graphics are now on the 2005 models.
They have Bob Carlson on the team whom if you don't already know, took the once small Crestliner company into the huge organization it is today. He is also one of the reasons why Sugar Sand is the biggest seller of jet boats in the world.
Gekko is going to become a major player in the towboat market so make sure you check them out at your next boatshows.
And don't forget to look at the GTS 20. A rocket of a ski boat that you get buy for under $21000 including trailer.

Old    dholio            09-23-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
I like how gekko has a similar bottom half of the tower that looks like the 04 FCT from Correct Craft
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
That's just one of the things other manufacturers have borrowed from Gekko and put into their line. Gekko has used that tower for two years now.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-23-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
I haven't heard of anyone who has a gekko and used it for wakeboarding and not had water come over the front or the back because the hull is so low
Old    aircox            09-23-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
How many dealers are there? Also is that windshield on that red boat plastic? Are you sure Sugar Sand is the largest jet boat manufacter? Have you heard of Seadoo or Yamaha? Good luck Gekko....Watch out Mastercraft!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-23-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
boo. on the built in platform. booooooooooooo
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-23-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
No offense but, those are some of the ugliest boats I've ever seen. The V-Drive looks better than the rest but......
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2004, 2:05 PM Reply   
There is a dealership down the street from me and its also right across the street from a Nautique and Tige dealer. I have never seen one on any of the local lakes. I have never heard of anyone owing one either...
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
skibum69:
Almost all direct drives, no matter what the brand, you have to be aware of keeping the nose up when going through rollers at slow speeds. The Revos have much higher gunnels and you can plow through almost anything.

aircox:
You can go to Gekko's website and view where the dealers are and how many. www.gekkosports.com

882001:
Some people don't like the built in swim platform but once you use it, you will probably like it. Kids love it for jumping off of, there is no maintenance and it finishes off the back end of the boat. Yes it does make fitting it into a garage more difficult.

wakestar8878:
It's all personal preference.
Old    bigj            09-23-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
"Gekko is going to be a major player in the towboat market."

In what country? Because like many others, I've yet to see an actual owner of one of these boats.
God luck.
Old    bigj            09-23-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
"Gekko is going to be a major player in the towboat market."

In what country? Because like many others, I've yet to see an actual owner of one of these boats.
Good luck.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-23-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
About a decade ago the same thing was said of a small company called Malibu...and Tige...and MB Sports.

It takes a while to build a company up. Even MasterCraft took a while to build up.

I own a Gekko and am a dealer as well. It is not the right boat all people, but the right boat for some.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hey Karl. You should have been at the meeting. It was a good time. Would have been good to meet you.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention to aircox.
The windshield is plexiglass on the GTS 20. To put a regular glass windshield on that boat would mean redesigning the top deck. They want the price to stay low.
I wasn't talking about personal watercraft. I was referring to actual boats like the larger ones Seadoo and Yamaha build. Sorry for the confusion.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-23-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
The one thing I find comical about this board is how quick everyone bashes a new or unfamiliar product...
I pulled along side a v-drive Gekko this summer. While the boat was not the nicest in fit and finish, I did like the lines and especially
the built in platform - one of the reasons we bought our current boat.
Regardless, I'll check them out at the show this winter - just for kicks.
Other than the v-drive... man would I be freaked in any rough water. The directs have a scary low bow and gunnel.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-23-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
Alright. So maybe not everyone...}
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-23-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
you definately could not weight that direct drive like I weight mine. We add like 2000#s on a response. That thing would have like 2 inches of free board if we did that. Which is wierd, because don't the wakeboard models have like huge ballast systems??? like 1200lbs and up?
Old    bigd            09-23-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
There's a Gekko dealer by me. No sure how much business they do. Don't see a lot of Gekkos on the water. The big issue I have with those boats is the extremely low freeboard. looks like 1 foot of chop and you gotta pack it in.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-23-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
If you park a Gekko beside a Response, the gunnels are maybe 2 inches lower at the most. If you have no problems with the Malibu, then there will be no problems with the Gekko. The Gekkos are a sleaker looking boat which is probably why most of you that have never driven one think this way.
I can defend this low freeboard thing all day long but until you've actually driven one, there's no point. The biggest thrill I have is taking customers out on demos when the water is rough and seeing their reaction to how great these boats drive and handle in 2 foot waves. Yes when you stop, you have to either take the waves from the side or the rear when the water is like that. But who wakeboards in those conditions anyway? It sure is nice that you can run across the lake at full throttle in rough conditions and not have your teeth rattling loose.

One of my customers uses 1500lbs of ballast in his GTR 22. He has no problems with water coming in the front or rear.

The GT series boats do not have factory ballast. There is not big enough storage areas to hide tanks or large bags. Just have to put weight on the floor like in the Response.
The Revos have an optional twin 550lbs bags in the rear storage lockers.

Gekko is still a small company which is why you won't see one on every lake you go to and they've only been around since 1995.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-23-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
For those that own or have been behind one, what is the wake like?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
We had a Gekko GTS 20 for a year.
Very fast lots of fun to drive!
WOuld not recomend for big rough water but we did enjoy it!

(Message edited by krbaugh on September 23, 2004)
Old    jlm            09-23-2004, 9:08 PM Reply   
as stated earlier..."individual preference".

I prefer not for me.
Old    merty            09-23-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
I own a 03 gtr22 have used it for 2 seasons. well the only month a have not used it was January of 04. I have 340 hours on it and have had not a problem one. I belong to a ski club with all diffent boat owners, were all good friends and when we go out guess which boat they all prefer to ski behind?... mine. It has the smallist 22 bumb of them all. All though I can't say anything about nautiques because no one has one. Some have commented on the swim platform. but once the tried it out they liked. there is a pic of it in one of the old post of slalom boats. I can out run them all in rough water.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-23-2004, 11:20 PM Reply   
I like the look of the V-drive, but doesn't it still have the Gekko tunnel hull design, making it hard to weigh down? Do you have any more pics of the new 22, and is there a dealer in SoCal?
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2004, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yes the Revo is an enlarged version of the GT's. That and because it is so wide, it does take more weight to squat it down lower in the water. Gekko wanted to build a boat that was good at doing everything when they made this model. Skiing, wakeboarding and cruising around the lake.

There is a dealer in Anaheim, Modesto, Lakeport, and Arcata. Not sure which one would be the closest to you.

Here's a few more pictures of the GTO 22 and no, Shorelander trailers are not going to be used.

Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-24-2004, 10:05 AM Reply   
I am on a lake with 99 miles of shore line and thousands of acres. It gets rough a lot of the time. I do occasionally take a roller over the bow - like any low slung ski boat. I have only 2-3 times taken a roller over the rear. Only once with over 1,600 lbs ballast.

I have friends with Moombas, MasterCrafts, Correct Crafts. When the lake is rough, my GTO-22 rides the best and keeps up with the IO deep Vs over the chop. I do not, however, take it out on Lake Michigan. That would simply be a dumb move.

All boats are a result of decisions made by the designer. The GT series were designed for maximum slalom performance. Mark is a slalom nut. Given the forward keel and overall boat balance, it does the job for board sports as well. Not as well as a dedicated V-drive, but very well. Personally, I get to ride behind about everything because I compete in many sports including wakeboard, wakeskate, kneeboard, and slalom. I also dabble with barefoot. For me, the GTO-22 is a good all-around boat. My next Gekko will likely be the Revo 6.7 with the ZR-6 and Wired package. It still is skiable to about 28 off, which gets me where I need to be.

Buying a boat is a personal decision. I decided on Gekko bacause of the design and value. I became a dealer later after I found out that I did not have a dealer here. I won't trash talk anybody's brand. One of our family friends has the largest MasterCraft dealership in the Midwest. Great guy selling great boats. Buy what you really like and want. These are toys.

My choice was to avoid seeing my boat 10 times a day on the lake. I wanted something affordable and distinctive. Your boat, your choice.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-24-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Karl, I assume with your mention of the ZR-6 that these boats are powered by PCM powerplants.

Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-24-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
One thing is for sure... as an avid internet user, I rely on websites for a lot of information.
Gekko really needs to update and modernize their website, www.gekkosports.com
"designs for 2003"??
I feel like they should be offering free hypercolor t-shirts or something.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Has anyone mentioned specific prices? Is this brand in line with Moomba/Mobius, for example? Obviously, it matters what options you get, but can we get some comparisons with the big-name brands? The wakeboard specific boat market is a luxury category. As long as the premier companies have prices starting in the $40s and $50s, we are going to see more entries into this market. More choices & competition..., that's good.
Old     (healing)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-24-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
This optional automatic flag girl drives the price up to around the big 3 pricing!!

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-24-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
wow the boats are all ready looking better.
Old    spoon            09-24-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
Since the platforms are built in, is Gekko doing what the I/O boat companies do and include it in the published length of the boat?

If so, wouldn't that make the Gekko 22' boat a 19' or 20' by comparison to a Bu or SAN or Moomba for that matter, as the platforms are not measured?

(Message edited by spoon on September 24, 2004)
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Here's some pricing that Karl posted on Wakeboarder.com. PCM & Merc. are offered for Gekko.

The Gekko website is in the design stages right now and you will be able to pick color schemes, etc. Should be way better than it was before.

GTS - 20 $20,995
GTO-22 $29,997
GTR-22 $29,997
GTX-22 $29,997
Revo 6.7i(DD) $37,394
Revo 6.7 (V-drive) $40,488
Revo 7.1 (V-drive) $43,473

All are MSRP base - no options, no discounts, no shipping.

Most popular options: Revo Series Wired II - $10,000 Has just about everything except the cover.

Popular engine upgrades:

Merc 315 - $1,600
PCM ZR6 - $6,000

All said and done, you end up with a very well equipped boat with great wakes about $10-$15k less than the big 3.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes the swim platform is included in the length of the boat. Allow about 16" - 18" for it.
Old    spoon            09-24-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
I checked the 'Bazooka' model on Gekko's site: fugly, IMO.

I saw a Gekko on Boulder reservoir about 3 years ago. It has about the same freeboard as the old FlightCrafts. Not a rough-water rider.

(Message edited by spoon on September 24, 2004)
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
The Bazooka model is discontinued and I should mention that the GTO/GTR 22 is the same length as the Malibu Response if you're making comparisons on boat lengths.
Old    spoon            09-24-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
For comparison:

At $29k the Malibu Response is the same price. And..... (wait for it)... it's a Bu!

I noticed WaterSki mag claimed the Gekko can carry 12, while the Bu claims 6. Is that right?
Old    aircox            09-24-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Goodtimes, Show me the proof that Sugar Sand sells more Jetboats than Seadoo or Yamaha, and I will promise to go down to the local Gekko dealer and put them into the running of my new boat that I am purchasing before Feb.
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-24-2004, 4:06 PM Reply   
Both the Response and the GT's are rated for 8 people on Waterski Mag. website. Revo v-drive is 12.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-24-2004, 10:51 PM Reply   
I saw them up close at a dealer in Wa. a while back. They were comparable to a Centurion in build quality. Their design was a very extreme V bow and some huge reverse chines to make the absolute best ski wake, which I believe that boat will do, and that it is a good value, good boat, good company, etc. What I wonder about is if they realize that there are ten wakeboarders for every skier out on the lake these days. Their wakeboard boats don't have a wake, the ones I saw had the same hull as the ski boats, but with wakeboard stuff bolted on.

Nothing at all against Gekko or any other small company trying to make a buck making boats and serve their market. Just constructive feedback!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-24-2004, 10:58 PM Reply   
Oh, and most of us figured out that you guys just got out of your dealer meeting and must have had a powerpoint bullet titled "Post messages to ourselves on Wakeworld pushing our boats"

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-25-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Goodtimes,
Since I don't have any measurements on the Revo, I find it hard to believe you could carry 12 on that boat. Assuming the Revo is 22ft long (however, that includes the builtin swimstep - it may effect safe load, but it sure doesn't add seating capacity), based on the safe load equation, that would mean for a 12 passenger rating the width has to be right around 98.18 inches. Even if it did meet these dimensions, I highly doubt, based on the pictures, that you could fit 12 people in the boat. Most of the 21ft boats specify 10 passenger capacity. What gives? Can you please confirm the dimensions and give us dimensions including and not including the built-in swimstep. BTW, I think the boats look fantastic and I know they are great ski boats, but I have my doubts about their wakeboard performance.

(Message edited by wakeshoe on September 25, 2004)
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-25-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
The Revo is Coast Guard rated for 12 people. It is 102" x 22'2" long with the swim platform. Subtract about 16" for the platform. I'm not sure whether the Coast Guard includes the swim platform or not since it is part of the hull.

The boat is big enough to carry 12 people. Not sure why you doubt Coast Guard numbers. It's not like companies can just make up their own numbers but there are other boats in similar size that have the same or similar seating rating.
XLV 23ft overall = 16
Cyclone 20ft6" overall = 10
Enzo 23ft overall = 12
Launch SSV 21ft8" overall = 11
Svfara 696 23ft overall = 12
Sanger V215 21ft8" overall = 11
Wakesetter 23LSV 23ft overall = 14
Wakesetter 23 XTi 23ft overall = 14
Old    aircox            09-25-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
I thought that the coast guard rates boats on floatation and depth not size of boat.
Goodtimes, you never answered my question....

(Message edited by aircox on September 25, 2004)
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-25-2004, 9:54 AM Reply   
goodtimes,
Are you really a dealer? The Coast Guard safe load is based purely on flotation - it has absolutely nothing to do with how many people you can fit in a boat. The formula is: boat length in feet x boat width in feet divided by 15. If you subtract the swim platform, you get 11.81 people; if you don't subtract the swim platform, you get 12.47 people. I would think that because the Revo's swim platform is actually part of the hull, the calculation would include it, rounded down to 12 people. Also, the Coast Guard numbers assume a "person" is 150lbs, so max weight on the sticker should likewise show 1,800lbs. I guess I would have assumed a dealer would know this.

As far as 12 people fitting in your boat, your comparisons to the 23ft boats is invalid. All the boats you compare to have a separate length for the swim platform. A more appropriate comparison would be for example to the Mobious LSV which is the same 22'2" with swim platform, 20'8" without and is rated at 10 passengers. Your integrated swim platform adds absolutely no seating room. From the pictures, I really don't see how 12 adults would fit in that boat. The key point is seating rating as per Coast Guard safe load numbers has absolutely no relationship to how many people will actually fit in the boat.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2004, 10:12 AM Reply   
I have never heard of Sugar Sand. I would think that residing in SoCal, home of Eliminator, HTM, Warlock, ShockWave, and almost every other "Hot Boat" manufacturer, we might have heard a thing or two about Sugar Sand if they are truly that big of a manufacturer.

As far as the freeboard comparisons to the Response, that is the single biggest factor in my decision to sell my '99 Response LX and get a larger boat. Always had to keep on top of the rollers, water coming in everywhere.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 25, 2004)
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-25-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
I'm sorry this 12 person thing is stressing you out so badly. If you see a Revo in real life, there is no harm in looking to see how big the interior actually is. I'm not going to argue your opinion. It is what it is. I'm not trying to sell you a boat. Enjoy your new Moomba and have a good weekend.
Old    dusty            10-24-2004, 10:57 PM Reply   
Wakeshoe:
I know this thread is old, but I know goodtimes and I just thought I'd clarify for you. His name is Darren and yes he is a Gekko dealer. He sells for Saskatchewan. And the Gekkos look like deadly rides, I saw the Revo in his showroom.
Oh and Darren, this is Dustin and you probably don't remember me, but I am sean stevensons friend if that helps any!

Peace