Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Right now weve been using some sea spot gone stuff for the outside which works good. Ive hear using vinegar and water works good to. What do you guys recommend. THe spot cleaner is expensive so im looking for an alternative.
Old     (movinfr8)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-14-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
I have been having problems with water spots but had not been doing much more than using a rag and water to rinse off the boat.

This weekend I tried using the 50/50 vineger and water mix and gave it a good wash and rinse, did not dry or anything and came back a couple of hours later and it had a shine that I had not seen since the beginning of the summer.

Try it, its cheap.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-14-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
I usually take a shower with soap. She uses vinegar though.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-14-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
50/50 Vinegar water.

Add some Pledge at the end if you really want it to shine.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Pledge? Have not heard of this before. How is it applied?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2007, 6:05 AM Reply   
Which vinegar is best? I'm assuming it's clear as opposed to brown, but wanted to make sure.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-15-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
does the vinegar strip the wax?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
We have used the brown as well, doesn't seem to matter, though the apple flavor leaves a little nicer smell.

Trevor, the Pledge is a cheaper alternative to 303'ing the hull for a good shine. I heard about it on some other site and have done it a couple of times. I just sprayed it on, rubbed and wiped the excess clean. Does really make the hull look good and to me was easier to get an even coat than 303.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-15-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Eagle One Whipe and Shine is awesome stuff! If I'm feeling cheaper then I go the vinegar and water route.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
water and vinegar with a good wash at least once a summer. I'll 303 it occasionally if I'm not in a rush, but we water/vinegar wipe it down at least once a weekend.

Just bought two of those cheap spray bottles (or use an old one that you rinse well) and mist it on...wipe it off. It takes less than 5 min and keeps it looking nice
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Ducky!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
So... as someone else asked, I thought the water/vinegar combo removed some wax. Sounds like it doesn't if you all are doing it every weekend.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
It will remove some was. Back when I was skiing a lot we would ski all 5 weekdays, then have our boat at a tournament on the weekends. It would probably get hit with vinegar/water no less than 14 times a week and we waxed it probably 4 times a year. My parents still have their '03 promo boat and it shines like the day it was new.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
A-dub - Distilled White Vinegar...50/50 with water....you could dilute more than that and it would still work fine....
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
Someone on this board turned me on to Babes Boat brite and I gotta tell you this stuff is great. I makes your boat smell good, it gets the spots off, and puts a protective coat on her gel. My 16 oz bottle has lasted me 50 hrs of boating so far this summer. I just got a gallon of the stuff. The way I look at it, if you can afford to spend $30-$80K on a boat, plus $3.00 gallon to fill it up, then you can afford the $.50 to $1 per application to treat her nice!
Old     (oldschoolmalibu)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-15-2007, 11:01 AM Reply   
50/50 vinegar water. I Pledge mine weekly. Pledge really sets off the shine and makes it slick.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-15-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
Treat her nice boys! Otherwise she will act up on ya and give you all kinds of problems. I swear sometimes I think that hunk of fiberglass is alive. Boats are like women, they need to be pampered!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-15-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Some werid suguestions IMO. I would like to see some of these boats that people use pledge and vinegar on

vinegar water, Pledge, Distilled White Vinegar, 303.

Vineger and water and Disted water and Vinegar same thing. If I had Nothing else I still wound use this I dont know why so may people keep taking about it. Is it a price thing?????

A bottle of car was soap costs a few dollars and will last you all year. Take a cap full of that car was soap and put it in a bottle of water and Whalla Magic Boat spray.

Dosent 303 leave a film on the fiberglass? I have found it to. Would you spray pledge or 303 on the surface of your car??? I have found that Gelcoat and Paint like to be treated much the same way when it come to care products. I.E Wash and Wax.

Babe's, McGuyers Quick clean marine, Ect all work great, Car wash soap and water is the cheepest and best solution if your not gonna buy a specific boat after use cleaner, my 2c
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-15-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
I too often wondered why people use vinegar to wash there boats. Until this summer when I went to Bull Shoals with the boat. Must be hard water down there or something? I washed and scrubbed the boat with Gold Class car wash and the water spots didn't seem to budge. Never have this problem on the lakes I usually ride in Central WI. I took some vinegar and water and diluted it about 75 percent water, 25 percent vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. It took the water spots off pretty easily then. I just re-washed the boat as it smelled like a pickle afterward!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       08-15-2007, 12:51 PM Reply   
that smell doesn't last long at all and people also use it on hardwood floors because other cleaners are too rough on them! Works great for both.
Old    redneckonaboard06            08-15-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
I just wipe mine down with an "absorber" shammy and use it on the exterior and the interior while at the ramp. I also use "spray away" glass cleaner on the exterior if the lake I'm on is really dirty and it freakin works great.

I also use magic erasers on the vinyl and couldn't be happier, especially with having white and yellow seats.