Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-16-2011, 9:11 PM Reply   
First time on the post. Been trying to read as much as possible, but I'm looking for some feedback on what I'm doing wrong not getting the high pop. I've read about progressive edge throught the wake, and straightening the legs at the wake, but any other pointers would be good.
I just turned 36 and started wakeboarding last October, so about 3-4 months experience. Wish I would have started a little sooner, as I love it!

Here's the vid.

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...somerville.mp4

Last edited by matt75; 05-16-2011 at 9:13 PM.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2011, 9:30 PM Reply   
Great to see someone else who's got the stoke level up!

As I see it you are starting off the edge correct and carrying a LOT of speed. More than needed to go w2w. You are popping at the wake, however it is early. What happens when you straighten out early is the handle gets high and actually ends up bringing you down.

Focus on these things:

1. carry no more speed than what you have in the video
2. straighten out a little bit later. Feel out that wake right to the top.

Hope you experience some more success in your riding.
Old     (sdgarfield)      Join Date: May 2011       05-16-2011, 11:42 PM Reply   
it looks to me like you might be edging out a little bit to far and when you cut into the wake it doesnt look very progressive. When I first started to wake to wake jumps i had the same problem. Id go out as far as I could and then scream in towards to wake... just my .02
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2011, 12:05 AM Reply   
I post this every time, but i don't think anyone could get tired of it.
check this out. super helpful
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/featur...ariations.html
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2011, 1:05 AM Reply   
Hey I have the same issues, can't se the video (at work ) but I go wake to wake easy but I just carry a lot of speed, not extending at the wake. I can look at a video of myself and tell you what I'm doing wrong but I'm not sure how to correct it out on the water.

Any tips on how to get timing etc right?

Last edited by Kane; 05-17-2011 at 1:08 AM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2011, 1:23 AM Reply   
There are two drills you can use to dial the "pro style" wake to wake pop.
1. Label how hard you are cutting in your head with a number, 1 easy - 5 hardest. 1 should be at the turn in, 5 at the crest of the wake.
Currently you are 34555554321 pop, you can tell by watching the spray you are putting up as you cut in.
2. Once you have a true progressive edge practice your shortest possible approach and still go wake to wake. ie short and sharp cuts.
If you can start 15 ft out and still go wake to wake then try 14ft, 13ft etc etc
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-17-2011, 5:49 AM Reply   
If you go to 6 seconds in your video and look at what you do with the handle you'll see you bring it up to shoulder height. Try to push it down and keep it at waist height, while looking at the horizon. This will make you much more stable in the air and make it easier to control yourself when you start going bigger
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Where I Still struggle is timing my standing tall, I either do it too early and kill the jump, or I do it too late and absorb
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-17-2011, 10:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. Currently my speed is at 19.4. I'm probably going to drop it down to 18.5 so I can work on sharper cuts all the way through, and the timing of standing tall.

Last edited by matt75; 05-17-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-17-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
James, I totally agree with you. Among the other things I'm not doing- it does feel like I lose the edge at the wake
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-17-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
Bring the handle to your hip... zombie arms = front edge catch
Old    readyaimfire            05-17-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
You don't want to really straighten your legs and lock out your knees. All you want to do is hold the same hard carve all the way through the wake. Never try to pop. If you hold a hard carve all the way through the top of the wake, the pop will be there.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-17-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
I agree with the majority of the above. I'll add that I think your approach is too perpendicular to the boats line. An approach with less angle will put pressure on the rope later in your cut. You're building pressure early in the flats, the getting slingshotted across the wake. Take an easier cut that builds progressively as you approach the wake.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-17-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Darren Yearsley's post above is right on. A tip that has worked for others is to only go out slightly past the wash then cut back in by leaning onto your heels and looking away from the boat toward the opposite shore. Carrying your edge all the way to the top of the wake is the key- you DON'T need to "pop" or Ollie at the wake if you carry the edge all the way up the wake- the wake will punt you up if done correctly. So many people make the mistake of carrying too much speed and cutting WAY too hard- this inevitabley results in losing the edge. The ONLY time you need to go way out and carry a ton of speed is for Tantrums or Scarecrows. You can do Flips, and spins all day with cuts just past the wash.

Getting this down is CRITICAL to advancing your skills- Flips, Raleys, and even spins will not be doable without enough height. Remember Wakeboarders- especially the really good ones- are basically lazy -LOL! It's the old addage- "less is more" .
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-18-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
Darren Yearsley's post above is right on. A tip that has worked for others is to only go out slightly past the wash then cut back in by leaning onto your heels and looking away from the boat toward the opposite shore. Carrying your edge all the way to the top of the wake is the key- you DON'T need to "pop" or Ollie at the wake if you carry the edge all the way up the wake- the wake will punt you up if done correctly. So many people make the mistake of carrying too much speed and cutting WAY too hard- this inevitabley results in losing the edge. The ONLY time you need to go way out and carry a ton of speed is for Tantrums or Scarecrows. You can do Flips, and spins all day with cuts just past the wash.

Getting this down is CRITICAL to advancing your skills- Flips, Raleys, and even spins will not be doable without enough height. Remember Wakeboarders- especially the really good ones- are basically lazy -LOL! It's the old addage- "less is more" .
Thanks! So about 5-6ft outside wake, lean back on heelside looking to the left??? side horizon where I'm going to be landing?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-18-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
yup- just hold your edge all the way up and keep the handle in around your waist- as someone said- Zombie arms ( love the term) = front edge to face plant!