Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Before designing or even getting the mice running on their wheel, I figured I'd see if someone could give some advice on using LED's. My intentions are to put LED's in the cupholders, under each side of the dash, & a couple strips under the side panels. What's the best plan of attack? Should I buy pre-assembled lights or buy the parts separately? Also, are any transformers needed or are they as easy as running to a switch? Thanks for anyone's assistance!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-14-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
Jory,

Are you trying to do something like this:
Upload
Upload
Upload

You can get this effect two ways. The ones in the picture are done with tape LEDs under a clear plex ring with a sanded finish. The other way is done by bending clear plastic rod with cuts every 1/2" or so, it's described on a webpage, search for BMW angel eyes do it yourself.

You do not need any transformers with the tape, they run on 8-13.5 volts. The individual LEDs used in the angel eyes require resistors.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-15-2007, 4:31 AM Reply   
This is the angle eyes Mikeski mentioned. They don't come close to the quality of Mikeski's but if you are on a budget and dont mind a little DIY work, angel eyes are not to hard to do.
Upload
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-16-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
really even just the ones in the bottom would probably do me just fine. I don't necessarily want to glow on the water, just a little accent lighting under the drinks & under the dash.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-17-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
I do LEDS all the time on boats if you want to go really cheap and still look good drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the cup holder that are just bigger than the LED Bulb. Epoxy resin the bulb assembly to the bottom with only the bulb coming thru the hole. As far as the rest buy sticks and a switch
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
I'm not necessarily worried about the product cost as long as it will be of good quality & I'll be proud to say that I am the installer.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-17-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
I've been looking on superbrightleds & some pictures of leds. Is it as easy as just wiring the leds together & them attaching them to a fused switch?

Is there any literature that you guys have used for your research, or just piecing together all the good info?
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-17-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
it is that easy
Old     (polkaking27)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-19-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
It is not quite that easy. PM sent, feel free to pm me any other questions
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-20-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Got the message Cody. Thanks! I'm going to get started on this thing as soon as the weather gets nice again. I at least got my board rack for the garage done.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Looky what I remembered I had:

Upload

I forgot I had a broken LED taillight in the garage. Now all I have to do is see if I can waterproof the circuitry boards. Any ideas?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2007, 10:20 AM Reply   
Zip Lock Baggies...
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Any special coatings available?
Old     (wakeprodigy)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-22-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
you could conformal coat them, but that will only give you water resistance at best. Or, you could use a clear potting epoxy. check out www.mgchemcials.com

Also read the pdf at the following link for more information on conformal coating and potting epoxy.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads/appguide/appguide0405.pdf
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-27-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
I'm looking at upgrading the stock lights in my Malibu VLX to the LED's on superbrightleds.com as well. I'm looking at buying 8 of the ALM-x6's to replace the factory positioned lights. Are these going to draw more current than the stock lights on the VLX? Not sure if these would be too bright and should go with the ALM-OB Accent Light that only have 4 LED's vs. 6..?

So as I read on this thread, it's as easy as removing the stock lights and mounting the new LED's in the factory locations? Should I not be concerned with buying the recommended resistors on this site? Is the switch on my dash pretty much the same thing?
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-11-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
these are the LED strips i bought for under the dash and side panels of my boat. you can choose the size you want and they are waterproof (to the best of my knowledge).
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/G...61954-1-3.html