Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-29-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
I know there are a couple of ways to attach the rope to the tower. Is there a preferred way to attach the rope? I bring the handle side of the rope through the eye and slip that over the point of attachment. I have seen a few other ways to do it. How do you do it?
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-29-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
thats how ive always tied mine and anybody else i go with. its the least amount of stress on the rope
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-29-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
Rod I noticed on your profile your occupation is lineman-power,telco?? just curious
Old    sk8joe01            09-30-2004, 5:51 AM Reply   
i have a homemade pylon (see profile), i've fixed it up since that picture with steel cable instead of the yellow tie-down strap... the attachment surface is still prety rough tho, and when i noticed that it was wearing at my line i took a short length of everyday utility rope, tied it in a loop, tripled it up and threw it over my pylon. i attach my mainline to that. keeps down wear on my good rope, and since theres only like three inches and its tripled over it dosn't do anything noticable to line stiffness.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2004, 5:59 AM Reply   
Here's how I shorten mine without leaving a knot:

http://www.kneeboardplanet.com/news/tie_rope.htm
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-30-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
The reason I posted is: I have some spectra ropes that I sell and one of them ends up broken. The guy that bought it told me he attachs by double looping the loop and sliding that over the tower attachment. I have seen it done that way in the past and was wondering if anyone else uses that method.
Paul, PG&E
Tuneman, I read your post in the past and have used your shortening method. Came in handy.
Old    anim8or            09-30-2004, 10:07 AM Reply   
" he attachs by double looping the loop and sliding that over the tower attachment"

yeah, thats what we do with our spectra line on my pylon.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-30-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
Rod:

You said "I bring the handle side of the rope through the eye"

You don't really pass the handle through the eye and thread 70 feet of rope through, do you?

You do know you can accomplish the same thing by simply folding the loop back on itself?

Thats how we attach our rope. The rope we use has several shortening loops so we just grap the loop we want, fold it back onto itself and loop the "slip loop" over the tower post.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-30-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
We just wrap the loop twice on the pylon.

Old    vern            09-30-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Wait. You actually have to attatch the rope to the tower in order to take off? Man, no wonder I couldn't get up. J/K
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
Rod Hess,

I think if the ropes have braided loops, you can do it either way but I've heard of the "double loop" method causing the stitching to rip on ropes with sewn loops, including the popular Accurate jacket series.
Old    anim8or            09-30-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
Kinda surprising nobody makes a 'rope hook' or something like that to attach the rope to a tower/pylon. at least, i've never heard of such a thing.
Old    kbsmith88            09-30-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
I pull the rope back through the eye and then place that on the pylon.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-01-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
For what it's worth, a recent edition of Waterski Magazine (it was delivered to my house by accident, I swear) stated that the double loop is easier on the rope and causes less wear.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2004, 1:14 PM Reply   
do you guys have a problem with rope wear? we have been using the same spectra rope since 1997 with no problems, at all. changed the handle a couple of times but see no need to swap ropes.
oh yeah i just run the rope through itself to make a choaker.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-01-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
Rod McInnis, No, not the handle, just wanted to make it clear that it is the handle side and not the side to the end of the rope that I make the loop with.Seems as if we still have a difference of opinion as how to attach.