Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-16-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I am averaging 5-6 ft of air behind my SAN 210 using only the stock ballast system. I would like to continue using only the stock ballast because of the ease of use but I would like to get a little more air. I currently ride a '04 Hyperlite Era and I ride at either 75 or 80 feet. I am considering getting a new board with a more agressive 3 stage rocker to see if I can squeeze a little more air out of my stock setup. I am looking at trying a Parks, LF substance, or LF subjekt. Do you guys think a board switch will help me eek out a little more air or are there some other boards I should try besides the ones listed. I can demo any hyperlite board but I do not have a Liquid Force dealer anywhere near me. I really want to try their boards though because I hear they are a lot lighter than the hyperlites. What do you guys think?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-16-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
the wieht of the boar will make almost no difference also you will do best on the board you feel most comfortable on almost 9 times out of 10 the board you are riding is a great one. The new premier 141 would probably compliment your riding the most.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2004, 10:11 AM Reply   
Chris you need to spend a few extra minutes and add some weight. Why not try lead it stays put & you don't have to remove anything. More weight is going to help you more than a new board will. If you want a sick board that is basically a supercharged Era with better landings & a little extra pop try the CWB Absolute. More weight is where its at!!
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
board switch might help somewhat...but you need to add more ballast man...the bigger you get that SAN's wake the bigger you will go...

i sure you have good reason to not want to load that boat down...but, Nautiques have more flotation then any other boat made...it takes more weight to load it...

i will not even ride if there isn't at least 2k of ballast in the boat...most riders i ride with would consider 2k light!
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-16-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
I knew this thread would take this turn. I do have twin 440's that I keep on each side of the engine (for surfing mainly). I also have a couple of 280 lb fat sacks and a 550 lb fat sack. I was thinking that when I really wanted to go huge, I could fill the 440's about half way on each side and put the 550 under the playpen and fill it as much as possible. I really just don't like ballast bags all over the boat, my wife and kids come out pretty regular plus all the other people I see when I am out that change boats and ride, bags all over the boat just get in the way. I was thinking about buying some lead to use in lieu of the fat sacks (I hate filling them manually) but I haven't found a good (cheap) source. I am also concerned about keeping lead in the boat. I only trailer about a block to ramp, but I usually go ahead a pull to a local gas station about 7 miles away before I drop her in. Would this be okay with lead? If so, how much lead and where can I get it? Thanks for all the replies guys and keep them coming. Especially in terms of the new board. I am going to Ambush boarding company tomorrow and would like to come home with a new one (can't help it, I am jonesing for a new board). Thanks again.
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
i really like the Liquid Force Substance 141! it has alot of pop...

i use to travel hundreds of miles with lead in the boat or in the back of my truck... a few miles would be fine...

it takes its toll on the trialer more so than anything else...

i've heard of some pretty cheap ways to add lead...check some of the archive threads on this site...

i use 65pound lead ingets wrapped in duck tape...which is the most expensive way to go...90cents a pound!!!

and 40 pound nylon bags filled with metal waste...
which isn't as bad at 29 dollars a bag...but still rediculous...

lead is the way to go for sure! you keep your seating and you don't have to fill and drain..

its also a great workout before and after you ride!
Old    byerly137pro            09-16-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
Can you tell me why is it that you have to take the lead out, is it strenous on the hull and trailer to leave it like that, or what?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
i know Jeff Frew (socalwakepunk) on here keeps a steel slab hidden somewhere in his boat. I know a few guys who went to a tire shop & asked for their old tire balance weights. They got a bunch and made a mold & milted them in to 25 lb bricks. 20-40 of those & you are in business. you can either wrap them in duct tape or dunk em in that rubberizing stuff which stacks very well. As for the sacks just fill the 440's all the way up & then the 550 as well then you should be money.
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
its hard on the hull of the boat and its harsh on the trailer...most trailers and designed to handel the weight of the boat and not much more....
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       09-16-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
My suggestion is don't waste your money on a new board if the only reason you are buying it is to get more air. You can get just as much air with an Era as you can with any other board as long as you have good technique.

If you want to go the lead route, go to some local tire shops and ask them for their old wheel weights that they use to balance tires with. The place around where I live gave me a couple hundred pounds for free.

Your best bet though is to add more weight with the sacs. Your trailer is only designed to hold so much weight, so if you go overboard with the lead, you are just asking for trouble.

Again though, it's not the board. Heck, Harf, Ruck, Bonifay, Webb, etc. have all ridden the Era shape at some time in the past few years and I don't think they have any trouble getting pop with it.
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
its hard on the hull of the boat and its harsh on the trailer...most trailers are designed to handel the weight of the boat and not much more....
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
Pete, where did you pick up your nylon bags for the lead weights? I've got some that I need to contain somehow so I can put em' in the boat and that sounds like a plan.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-16-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
Chris:
The easiest way to find out if more weight is going to help you or not is to simply get a few friends to ride along! Self propelled ballast is easy to work with......

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-16-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think I am convinced. Maybe I will use all of these sacks and give it a go with more weight. I knew, all though I would not admit it, that a new board probably would not help. 5-6 ft probably isn't bad for riding with only the stock ballast. If I sack it up, maybe I can get a couple more feet. Thanks again.
Old    martini            09-16-2004, 3:18 PM Reply   
david,

the bags are loaded all ready???you can get them at California Correct Craft or wakesports unlimited...
Old     (h20diva)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
I have read alot of the remarks and here is my take on it. I have alot of experience with boats and there hulls. Lead is good weight and easy to place and stays out of the way. If you trailer your boat don't use it. The trailer is the least of your worries. The hull itself will have stress applied where it sits on the trailers runners. It is not designed to bounce down the road with more weighted pressure applied to specific area's. The hulls strenght is when it is displacing water. Stay with sacs if you trailer. As some one else said don't buy a new board expecting more air, technique is your best bet. If your looking for more stability, control, or speed change boards, demo as many as you can find. I ride a CWB absolute platinum (very popy/a little loose) and a Parks Biolite (also very poppy but supper smooth on landings). Its diffrent for every one. find your zone and go big.
Old    mstar            09-22-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
well i have this little old 94 sea ray 190 io with no tower, no extra weight, nothing and am riding a tfd. ive only ridden say about 5 times and im getting a little more than 3 feet. if some poeple are only getting four on a nautique, what could i get with a tower on my boat dyou think?. thanks
Old    wakeboardn4life            09-28-2004, 8:35 AM Reply   
get the substance 142 or 138 the 142 has softer landings i ride the 142 and love it tons of pop