Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-03-2012, 9:31 PM Reply   
Spent this past weekend looking at boats. I think we've narrowed it down to the Malibu MXZ and the Mastercraft X25. We loved the build and interior of the MC, but I've heard it's not necessarily the best wakeboard boat. Still a fantastic boat, but more of an overall boat versus wake specific like the X-Star. Doesn't track as well, not as clean of a wake as the Malibu, etc. Honestly, we loved them both and I am not trying to start a MC vs. Malibu thread again. Just curious what your experience is with either boat. Looking for all good advice to help with our decision. Thanks!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-03-2012, 11:22 PM Reply   
LOL @ anyone who says the x25 wake isnt clean or wakeboard specific. The 25 produces the best stock wakeboard wake out of any boat that MC has produced in years. After being in a family that owns a malibu, I will never get one again. People will have their bias this way and that, but IMO malibu builds a pretty ****ty boat compared to MC, and the 25 stock wake for boarding is great, and with some weight makes a pretty decent surf wake. It comes down to opinion and blah blah blah the MC bashers will have their hayday with this thread but in my experience there is no comparison. I'll be in a 25 for life before I end up in a ****box like malibu again.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-04-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
I'm not sure who told you about the x25, but they are flat out wrong.

X25 is my favorite wake in the lineup and a top 3 wake for me in general. Factory ballast plus people (or 6-800 lbs in the cockpit) and its better than the pre 2013 xstar in my intermediate riding opinion.

And I rode both this past weekend.

Surf wave is great on the 25 and easier to dial in than the star and it's a joy to drive.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-04-2012, 6:30 AM Reply   
Instead of "looking" at them both, go out and ride behind both of them. You can't go wrong with either boat, and to spend that kind of money you would be foolish not to spend a couple hours in each boat on the water.

Any newer mastercraft or malibu wake will be awesome.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-04-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
No question! We have test rides set up next week already. I wouldn't think to buy without spending some time on the water. Good advice.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-04-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
The MXZs out of the box wake is fantastic. With the power wedge and 1250lbs of ballast the wake is a very good size. My buddy and I rode behind the MXZ with stock ballast and he was throwing down all the same tricks on the stock MXZ wake that he throws down behind his 23LSV with 3200lbs of ballast. He had no issues sticking backrolls to blind, 540s, raileys etc.

Its an awesome boat.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-04-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
i have ridden boath boats, and you really couldnt go wrong with either

personally i liked the x 25 wake better than the mxz

the x25 had a few sacs and 2 people and the mxz was stock plus wedge plus 10 people

the x25 definitely had more kick than the mxz and planed out much easier.
the small engine on the mxz just wasnt pushing it, definitely needed a good prop!

with a engine upgrade and a prop on the mxz the wake could definitely build up to be gigantic like the xstar (2004-2011)

if both boats were propped well and sacked to the max the mxz would probably come out a tad bit better, but if your going to run stock plus plug n play or something i would go with the x 25

both boats= sickness
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-04-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
I'll pile on here. Whoever said the X-25 doesn't have a good wakeboard wake is on crack . OK, it doesn't have a good wakeboard wake, it has a great one.

I can't speak to the MXZ. I've heard good things about it but no direct experience and can't say how it compares to the X-25.

I own an X-25 which I decided on after trying it, VLX, and 210.

The stock X-25 wake is killer. Big, meaty, very firm, and friendly shape. Add the PnP and it's amazing. Yes, it's a fantastic all-around boat too.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-04-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
I'll add to the debacle.
I regularly ride a 2010, 2011, and 2012 mastercraft x-25 though I have never ridden a malibu wake setter.
the 2010 and 2011 have sub par fit and finish for being "held to a higher standard" , the 2010 with significant warranty issues. The 2012 is VERY different and that's a good thing.
This said the wake on each boat is DIFFERENT. The wake on the 2010 is washy( a la nauti 230) and flat in comparison to the 2011 and 2012 with massive clean wakes that can send you to the moon. Why is this? I don't know. Personally the wake isn't my taste and i prefer something with more lip but the 2011 and 2012 wakes are good to great while the 2010 is flat and simply has nothing in it.

People run their mouths but the Mxz and x25 have both the same build processes. The x25 doesnt track or drive well compared to other boats in the segment and handles like a stern drive and is a major pig on gas

You will Get a decent surf wake from the 25 but it's nothing special and will take 4k in weight
Flame away but I have 350 hours or so on 3 different 25's. I have not ridden an Mxz nor have I seen one on the water. ride and drive both and make the choice that's best for you

Last edited by simplej; 07-04-2012 at 2:07 PM.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2012, 3:37 PM Reply   
I have spent some time "inside" both boats. I can't comment on the wakes, but here are some thoughts on creature comforts and usability.

My preference is the MXZ. The interior is plusher and more comfortable. That's not a quality statement. MC makes a high quality interior as well. It's just a style thing... Malibu is soft, cushy, and comfortable whereas MC is firm, angular, and edgy.

The other creature comfort I like better in the MXZ is the transom. I love love love hanging out on the transom. Sitting back there after a set with a beverage in my hand is one of life's pure joys. Both these boats offer seating back there, which is sweet. MC was somewhat revolutionary in putting two flip up seats back there. The problem is they are not comfortable because when you flip them up, your butt is sitting on hard fiberglass. Also, having high seatbacks there is overkill, imho. The big downside is that those seats totally kill the opening to the lockers... the lockers are huge in the X-25, but the hatches to get in there are tiny because of those seatbacks. On the MXZ, they went with more of a "couch" concept (similar to 247 LSV). As a result more than two can enjoy the seating and the locker openings are still big enough for boards, etc. Also the MXZ has extra storage compartments under that "couch." I just think it looks better and is a much simpler, cleaner design. This difference alone would be enough for me to pick the MXZ

A few other things to consider...
  • Tower - Which do you like better? Most folks I know rave about the Malibu G3 tower, but general consensus on the MC towers has not been great. The MC power towers look great, but they are very buggy. MC's manual towers look... interesting.
  • Maliview vs. BIG - Play with each dash system to see which you like better. I haven't tried the 2012 BIG, but the 2011 was hard to use. Not sure if they've updated it for 2012. I have no complaints with Maliview... very straightforward.
  • Pylon - How come every MC I see has a fixed pylon (e.g. pic above)? Is a retractable pylon available yet on MC (all the boats at my local dealer have fixed pylons)? Retractable pylons have been standard on Bu for at least 10 years. I never understand this... something so simple. I hate fixed pylons... ankle busters!
  • Racks - MC clamp racks are money. Bu racks are probably the best bungee racks I've used, but the clamps on MC are tops.
  • Bimini- Malibu bimini is big and offers lots of coverage. It also looks great and complients the G3 tower nicely. The only issue is that's it not very easy to put up (maybe I just haven't had enough practice). On the other hand, MC biminis looks tiny by comparison. Not sure how easy it is to get up and down.
  • Platform - Malibu platforms are removable like all others, but MC has a platform that just drops down and hangs on hinged brackets (one person can do it). I kind of wish my Bu had this... but it never will cuz of the power wedge. I wonder how this works on MC if you have the suft tabs. The newer MC platforms are also rounded on the back edge, which looks pretty user friendly.

I'm sure there are more creature comforts to evaluate.

Like I said before, I like the MXZ better and my perception is that it's a little cheaper (at least where I live). If my garage had another foot of depth, I'd have one in there instead of the VLX.

Here's a little vid for you to judget the MXZ wake...

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

Old     (jfd)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-04-2012, 5:44 PM Reply   
I think both boats are great, i've ridden an x25 last year and the stock wake is better (imo) than the stock xstar wake. I haven't tried the mxz.

When you'll go do the tests drives, tell them about your ridding ability so they can set up the boat so that you can have a real good try at it!

Dash-About the maliview vs big, I think the maliview is better, the big isn't user friendly and you still need a lot of switches (ballasts, lights, etc) when you can control almost anything with the maliview.

Pylon-you can order any MC x series boat with a removable pylon. It's not as good as the malibu one but it's still better than the stock one.

Bimini- I currently own a MC and the Bimini is nice and big, but the one on the Malibu is a lot nicer. The only problem with the Bu's bimini is it's a real pita to fold (at least it was on my 07 vtx). Both provide good sun coverage. So for bimini, if you lime to have it open at all time= malibu, if you want to be able to have it open or closed whenever you want= MC

Tower- both tower are real solid, the Bu is really nice looking, i think the new MC is as well, in the end it's just a matter of taste. The only thing that I didn't lime about the Bu's tower (07) Is that it was quite low, I was always hitting my head on the tower speakers.. While the MC is really tall, even with the speakers, i can walk around freely under it, without being too cautious about hitting my all over the place.

For the interior, both are great, the Bu is more plushy, the MC is firmer, but will probably stay firm longer while the Bu's seat become really soft with the years (mine had 600 hours when we sold it)

The only thing that will make me say no to a malibu in the future is the power wedge. Every year we had the boat, from 07 to 2011, we have had problems with it, even if we used it as the owner manual was saying (under 25 mph) and we weren't adjusting it's height unless we were at idle speed.

Here is my review about these brands, it's my opinion, you can disaproove it but that's what I think is good and bad with these boats.
Old     (jfd)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-04-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
And by the way, I wonder who stacks a ****load of apple in the rear of their wakeboard boat... It's quite funny!
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-04-2012, 10:43 PM Reply   
Apples...haha....so true!! "Hey homie...nice set, why don't you chill out now and chomp on this apple!"
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-04-2012, 11:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd View Post
The only thing that I didn't lime about the Bu's tower (07) Is that it was quite low, I was always hitting my head on the tower speakers.. While the MC is really tall, even with the speakers, i can walk around freely under it, without being too cautious about hitting my all over the place.
Yes, the Illusion tower on the older Malibus was too short. I'm 5'10 and I could not walk under that tower without scraping my head.

In 2010 Malibu switched to the G3 tower which is much taller. I just measured mine in the VLX... it's 74" tall. And with the speaker mounts on the side of the tower there's nothing to bang your head on.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-05-2012, 10:57 PM Reply   
Of the two I would go with the X25. You will love it. I've had two brand new X Stars, 08 and 09 and I have a brand new 2012 X25 and the X25 has a better wake than the X-Stars. The surf wake is AWESOME and on par with the best surf wakes I've seen and been on. The X25 also has a huge amount of interior room over other boats of the same length. It's also 6in shorter than the X-Stars up to 2010/11 and it has WAY more interior room. If anyone wants to see the surf wake on a properly setup X25 I started a thread here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794303

Old     (9645glazier)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-05-2012, 11:36 PM Reply   
^God, I love your boat.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-06-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
Any surf wake comments have not surfed a TIGE or a centurion
Old     (jfd)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-06-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Any surf wake comments have not surfed a TIGE or a centurion
Surfed a sacked enzo 230... Great port side wake, ****ty starboard one...
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2012, 12:57 PM Reply   
simplej- not true, its just most boat owners don't like their boat to be a ****box that throws a mediocre to poor wakeboarding wake. The 25 is built better than those 2 brands and is better for all watersports while having more interior room for its size.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-06-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
simplej- not true, its just most boat owners don't like their boat to be a ****box that throws a mediocre to poor wakeboarding wake. The 25 is built better than those 2 brands and is better for all watersports while having more interior room for its size.
Wow, someone isnt' biased at all. What a joke.
Old    TN22            08-06-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
Not to compound the debate but you might want to check out the new Supra SA as well if you havent already since you seem to be looking at that type of boat. Might as well see what all of your options are at least before making a decision.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       08-06-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
While I won't speak for Centurion, as I have no serious experience with them, when it comes to buid quality, you sell Tige far too short. If we wanted to talk about Tige from 7 years ago, then yeah, you may have a point. Tige's these days are built incredibly well. Far better than you clearly know. Your comments about their mediocre to poor wakeboarding wake shows that you have very little, to no experience actually being behind one. Instead of worrying about a name, try letting bias go, and realizing damn well built boats when you see one (Once you finally ride behind on). Not to mention that the comment that simplej made was in reference to the surf wake, and the surf wake only.

That being said, I am a big fan of the X25, and the wake it puts out. I've never ridden behind an MXZ, but I've heard great things. I do agree with DBC on the transom set up. I've never understood why MC went with that flip up seat thing at the back (just doesn't feel right), and while I know they have upgraded the BIG system, it's still the worst touch screen in the industry IMO. The overall build quality of MC is one of the best though. I would take MCs build process over most boat companies. That's not to say that a Malibu would fall apart, but I just feel MC makes a more solid product. I like the lines and tower of Malibu a lot better than MC though. All in all, it's a super tough decision between those 2, and for me, it would come down to dealer, and price. You'll be happy with either one.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-06-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Yup, you nailed it, never been on, behind, or in a Tige recently.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slax303 View Post
While I won't speak for Centurion, as I have no serious experience with them, when it comes to buid quality, you sell Tige far too short. If we wanted to talk about Tige from 7 years ago, then yeah, you may have a point. Tige's these days are built incredibly well. Far better than you clearly know. Your comments about their mediocre to poor wakeboarding wake shows that you have very little, to no experience actually being behind one. Instead of worrying about a name, try letting bias go, and realizing damn well built boats when you see one (Once you finally ride behind on). Not to mention that the comment that simplej made was in reference to the surf wake, and the surf wake only.

That being said, I am a big fan of the X25, and the wake it puts out. I've never ridden behind an MXZ, but I've heard great things. I do agree with DBC on the transom set up. I've never understood why MC went with that flip up seat thing at the back (just doesn't feel right), and while I know they have upgraded the BIG system, it's still the worst touch screen in the industry IMO. The overall build quality of MC is one of the best though. I would take MCs build process over most boat companies. That's not to say that a Malibu would fall apart, but I just feel MC makes a more solid product. I like the lines and tower of Malibu a lot better than MC though. All in all, it's a super tough decision between those 2, and for me, it would come down to dealer, and price. You'll be happy with either one.
This made me laugh since I took my 2006 Mastercraft 205V to have the main seal replaced this year. Yes on a 6 year old boat the seal was already leaking and letting water into the tranny. After lots of research this is apparently a common issue with Mastercrafts.

When the shop was done I was told by the mechanic 'I have never in my life seen an engine installed so poorly from the factory'. He couldn't believe the boat wasn't driving in circles with how misaligned Mastercraft mounted the engine.

Love the wake but just about everything that can get loose on my boat, has. Windshield, all panels, tower, V-drive deck, etc..everything. Hopefully things have changed over the past few years, or maybe mine is just a lemon (or a hastily built price-point boat)
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-07-2012, 9:54 PM Reply   
Brendan's mechanics are probably experts and have tons of marine experience from multiple lines of boats. The engine was so misaligned the boat almost drove itself in circles! Oh man, our boat that gets pounded in waves over and over again had stuff get loose! Must be poorly built.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-08-2012, 3:01 AM Reply   
I have only sat in both, but prefered the layout and looks of the MXZ better. MC's towers are the ugliest in the business for sure. MXZ also gets Surfgate for 2013. The MC didn't feel quite as comfortable to lounge in either but felt put together well (though I don't like the looks of the glovebox door - minor gripe obviously). I also prefer the Malibu dash though the MC's is nice too.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-10-2012, 7:10 AM Reply   
Typical response id expect from the majority of the MC crowd. Your paid for the name and you have to defend it. I already explained my experiences with 25 's both positive and negative but what so i know? I have logged over 400 hours behind 3 different 25's. if you'd surfed a TIGE or a centurion you wouldn't claim the 25's surf wake as king. It gets very large but lacks the push or cleanliness of the other boats mentioned and that's with 3000lbs and surf tabs...

And in response build quality issues, my buddy's 25 has had more than quadruple the problems that my or his old TIGE combined had. and his dealer is leaving him out to dry... But that's neither here nor there.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Brendan speaks the truth. I personally towed his boat in after it broke down when it was only a couple years old. :-)

Sorry B! :-)
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-10-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, I paid for the name and now I have to live with it. Too bad I own a malibu. Not that seven years is a lifetime, but in 7 years of working at a marina I would say that I have learned alot about boats and different manufacturers. And yeah, 2012 was a disaster for MC, they really dropped the ball hard and a ton of boats seem to have never ending problems. I do believe in MC, but I cannot defend their QC issues and poor touchscreen problems this year, they dug their own grave with that one.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-10-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
And the 25 isn't a king surf wake, but we haven't had problems getting a 25 to create an awesome surf wake, as good as the centurions and Tiges I have ridden. Granted, the centurions and tiges were not my boats, and the guys surfing them were't surf pros by any means.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
When the shop was done I was told by the mechanic 'I have never in my life seen an engine installed so poorly from the factory'. He couldn't believe the boat wasn't driving in circles with how misaligned Mastercraft mounted the engine.
you know indmar recommends that you have a drivetrain alignment every year or 300 hours? Your 6 drivetrain alignments overdue.

http://www.indmar.com/service-suppor...ur-indmar.aspx

you should do this whatever badge you have on your boat. Wouldnt be surprised at all if the boat was driving in circles

Last edited by willyt; 08-10-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: link to service manual