Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
So a month ago i was flipping on my snowboard (nothing really big), i was about 8 feet up and i had that 1 in a million were the rotation wouldnt happen and i landed on my shoulders.but not arched backwards, more in the tucked position. 3 days after or so my middle back on my spine started hurting me. its only when i bend backwards and its in the same place. It doesnt hurt when i bend forward orwalk around for that matter. Now its not the kind of a pain were you break something... Any ideas?? Im just concerned because wakeboard season is coming and i am just a big fan of flips.
Old    SamIngram            02-01-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
See a doctor! There could be all sorts of things wrong with you from a pulled muscle all the way up to a crack vertebrae. Don't be stupid.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Sam for telling me how you really feel, i always liked people that are blunt and honest. I'll be making an appointment today.
Old    SamIngram            02-01-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Yup, that's my MO.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-01-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
What kind of pain is it? Is it a sharp pain that radiates down one of your legs? If so you may have a slipped disc.

I slipped one disc and tore a second in a motocross injury over a year ago. Had the max of 3 spine injections, and now my life has been hell ever since.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Ouch. If it's on the spine you have probably slipped or herniated a disc. Some people have disc problems for life once one gets messed up, and some people will be lucky enough to get over it. I still have a crushed vertebrae in my neck. Luckily, it doesn't mess with me very often.

But I would see a doctor. You need xrays to determine the extent of the problem.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
I got a injury last spring and my back has never been the same. Last week bought a back2life and I feel a ton better. Not saying that will fix it, but it is greatly helping me.

Start by Rest & ice 2-3 times per day. Add stretching every day., than SEE A DOCTOR.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
The pain does not shoot down my legs or feel as ifi broke anything, its an odd pain, its getting better, slowly. It has the sensation like its brused. But is this possible on your spine and for this long of a period?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
its weird because im not in pain at all during the day, only if i were to do a backflip would i get some slight pain.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2011, 10:53 AM Reply   
You should probably postpone any back flipping until you get an xray. :-)

Like I said, I broke my neck and didn't even know it for weeks. You should have it looked at.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-01-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
michael, not to be a dick, but it's ridiculous for you to get the right answer for your problem on a message board, as proper diagnosing is impossible over a forum. it doesn't matter if someone experiences the same symptoms. please do yourself a favor; go see a doctor (an m.d.).
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Michael, you've gotten some good advice and all say the same thing: Go to a physician. Don't mess with a general prac either. Save time and possibly more injury and prolonged agony and go straight to a orthopedic. If you have to get a referral so be it. Back injuries can take weeks to heal - with proper care.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 11:02 AM Reply   
Joe,

I am going to see a doctor, id rather not have to worrie about this.

J-rod,

No riding for me until i get this checked out, and no flips.lol
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-01-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
Appointment made for thursday. Cross your fingers.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-02-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Good luck Buddy, keep us posted

Back injures suck as mentioned from all of the above. Ive noticed a big difference now with dailly stretching after workouts. As long as Im doing my workouts I feel good, but after a couple weeks....its hit and miss.
Old    bigdtx            02-02-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
Does your face hurt?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-02-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
Back injuries can take weeks to heal - with proper care.
Or never....like mine.

Forgive me God for I have sinned, I hit a 3rd gear jump in 4th gear pinned.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-03-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
ok the results are in... i just bruised the tissue around one of my vertibre. the doc said it is like that if you get severe wiplash. Maybe i should take it easy on the snowboarding for a while? (retorical question)

Thank you guys for getting me to go in. Sign of releif.
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-03-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
I did almost exact same thing hung up in between couldnt get board under me or over shoulders.
only had pain when I was hitting fly balls to my son
Could ride , not pain free But was able to ride
Trip to dr. X-rays cracked T-7 T-8 ( compression fracture) herniated disc
MRI two days later
10 days after that was having surgery
Procedure was called Kyphoplasty(sp)
was relesed to full activity in 24 hrs
Surgery was at 8:00 am and I was at sons bball practice same night
at 6:00pm
Dr told me if I let it heal without surgery I would shrink and not to be able to stand up straight

Still have herniated disc , small pain here and there but much better than it was

Let me know if you have any questions about procedure
Takes them like 20 mins start to finish
I was lucky any they read MRI wrong and had extra holes punched
In back and extra time on Table

Just seen you posted results Michael good to hear you will be fine
Plenty of time to heal before summer

Last edited by lav; 02-03-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
Greg - Check out Back2Life for every day relief. I am a big fan now.
Old     (lav)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-03-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Thanks Jason
I will deff check that out
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2011, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendow View Post
Or never....like mine.

Forgive me God for I have sinned, I hit a 3rd gear jump in 4th gear pinned.
Ouch Ben. I ride, but not like that! I hope your pain is manageable.

I have had my share of back injuries, but never permanent. Until you have it, you can never understand how it effects everything you do or while doing nothing. My co-worker has to continuously change his meds and wears a pain blocker shock thingy about 50% of the time.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-15-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I think this is the slowest healing injury ever.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Yhea it sucks. Mine was great since I got that machine. Than last night played Volleyball and could barely get out of the gym on my own two feet. Warmed up, stretched and wore warm clothes until the 3rd game. Stretched between games, stayed warm and felt great till the end. This sucks! Spent 2 cycles on the machines last night and once this morning so much better, but still pretty tight and sore.