Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    mobster            11-12-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showflat.php?Number=1482300
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Thats pretty sweet! Thats a heck of deal for the right person with the liquid assets to grab it all in one swoop! I wonder exactly what MDI boards are and how they ride. The info on their site is interesting for sure, sounds pretty cool. I think that would be a sweet job to have, but at the time, something wasn't right, as they offered a lott of different blanks in all shapes and sizes (ocean surf, big wave and longboards). However who knows, maybe poor marketing and a bad economy put them into the situation they're in. I'd never heard of them of the MDI foam they use, but then again, I'm stiil a noob to actually shaping myself

(Message edited by bac on November 12, 2008)
Old    surfdad            11-12-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
That's sick! 500 board a day capacity. What is that, 140,000 blank a year capacity? Now if you can just sell them all. MDI raw materials are freakin' expensive. That's a sweet little deal, though at 250K.

TXSurf - it's a polyu blank. Polyu comes in two flavors, basically TDI and MDI. The T in TDI is Toulene - a known carcenogen and prolonged exposure can cause death, I believe that Toulene is now considered toxic. The M in MDI is Methylene (methylene di-phenyl di-isocyanate :-) )
my understanding is that it's pretty safe, the only safety issue is the dust during demolding...not "green" but a bazillion times better than TDI.

JL finds ALL the good stuff! :-)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-12-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
Let's all go in on it.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-13-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
Bummer for these guys though. Met them at ASR last year. Bill Hamilton was working with them and I talked with him for quite a bit. I was really stoked cause I used to ride one of his longboards years ago when I was learning how to surf. Amazing board and really nice guy.

They were trying to keep things USA made by setting up production in cheap industrial area outside Vegas. Guess it didn't work out...
Old    surfdad            11-13-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
It's on ebay now, here.

AND! They'll accept Mastercard and Visa...my limits a little tight, or I'd charge it :-)
Old    surfdad            11-16-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
The blanks from that operation are starting to surface - as low as $20, but no delivery. Looks like some are in the LA area. Listing is here
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-16-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
Man at that price I would snag a few just to practice on with different shapes. Too bad they don't ship out. I'm sure they'll go pretty quick local though at those prices
Old    surfdad            11-17-2008, 4:33 AM Reply   
I hear you, I read further in the post and he has stringerless blanks that he'll sell at $15 a crack. I'm so tempted...even went so far as to mapquest it! :-)
Old    surfdad            12-02-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Swiped this picture from Sway's...I had an image of this guy setting up on an exit of a freeway with a sign - Roses $5, Blanks $3 :-)

Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-02-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
How about a sign that says:

Will shape for $$

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
^^^^^
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-07-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
SURFWAGON by Volvo