Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
not sure if this has been posted, but this may (or may not) answer a lot of the questions in here.

http://bit.ly/q2nqx1

at this point, i think we should all move on and quit prying for more info from justin. let's just thank him for his tremendous contributions to the sport we all love.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-07-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
Agreed Joe. Pure class demonstrated by Justin and his associates with Company. Let's allow that update to put this all to rest. Best of luck to the former Company team.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2011, 7:18 PM Reply   
Very professionally done. Said what needed to be said, didnt name any names or throw anyone under the bus. I really do hope to see the rise of another brand like Company, or some very obvious signs of their involvement in the wake industry in the years to come.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-07-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
A much better man than I. That was an impressive statement for many reasons, that should be in the front of business school's textbooks- both as a lesson on what to watch out for and what to say when things fall apart. So sorry it didn't work out. Infinite respect to Justin.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2011, 8:39 PM Reply   
Classy. Very classy statement. All the best to the employees who worked their ass off to launch this business. Unfortunately, the timing couldn't have been worse.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Justin seems like a nice guy, and I bought a company board almost as soon as they were first available, but I disagree with this being a 'classy' statement. It is a neutral statement, and if you all think that is classy then so be it. However, in my own personal opinion it does nothing to clear the air about what actually happened, and it seems to be clear (at least to me) that most people will never hear about what really went down and why. To me, that's pretty irritating. I'm glad he can post a feel-good apology to the people involved and maintain a positive attitude, but it doesn't clear anything up.

What is not very professional is something he mentioned in the first few sentences: the company never issued a statement that they were closing up, they left customers and investors hanging with no information whatsoever. Regardless of the legal troubles involved, that seems pretty not classy to me. Again, I'm not slamming Justin since he seems like a good guy and I loved the company he created, it just feels odd that the real story behind most of this won't ever be known.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-07-2011, 9:44 PM Reply   
this^^^
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-07-2011, 10:27 PM Reply   
3rd sentence:

Quote:
There are technical and legal reasons why this never happened
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-08-2011, 5:10 AM Reply   
Why does everyone on wakeworld feel like they deserve an answer into what happened with Company? Do you hold stock in the company? Are you some sort of investor? Maybe they owe you money? I doubt all of those for most of us. Just move on.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-08-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_x15 View Post
Why does everyone on wakeworld feel like they deserve an answer into what happened with Company? Do you hold stock in the company? Are you some sort of investor? Maybe they owe you money? I doubt all of those for most of us. Just move on.
I never even rode a Company board or followed them that closely. I'm just curious. Others who were loyal fans of Company and stuck with them through the tough times certainly deserve an answer. That doesn't mean Justin's a terrible person if he doesn't give one. Maybe there are legitimate reasons why he can't, although his statement didn't convince me that this is the case. It looks pretty weak and not very classy to an outsider like me, but I'm not in Justin's shoes and I don't know what he's going through.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 07-08-2011 at 5:49 AM.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2011, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_x15 View Post
x2

It's a privilege to ride a company's wakeboards not a right. Company doesn't owe you anything. Even a loyal fan they don't.

They made a great product that so many people enjoyed, don't be arrogant and expect answers. Be thankful and appreciative for the opportunity to ride their gear while you could.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Company doesn't owe you anything.
What about a two week old broken boat that I can't warranty now?

I think the statement was great on the grounds that it was actually a statement. I think it is weak on Company's end to have it come through anyone but "Company's" name. Instead closing up shop with heads held high, this seems like a tail between the legs exit (not Justin, he stepped up and said something).... You can tell a lot more about a person/a company when the chips are down rather than up. Justin showed poise and class, Company showed they would rather try and slide out without people knowing anything at all.

Quote:
Do you hold stock in the company? Are you some sort of investor?
Odds are 99.9% of us aren't owed anything, but I think in such a small tight nit community like wakeboarding, when once of the board providers just drops off the map, you would think they would let those in the sport know. Really there is/was the following board companies: CWB - Hype - Slingshot - Ronix - LF - Obrien - Byerly - COMPANY (Jstar Gator still around?!. So pretty much 8 companies provided 99% of the boards to people in the sport, Company just drops out which means 12% of the board companies are gone just like that. They were large enough where I feel some level of respect was owed back to the wakeboard community.

... but thats just my $.02
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-08-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
"What about a two week old broken boat that I can't warranty now?" {I think you meant to say board and I will assume so}

Big deal. So you broke a wakeboard and you may have to pony up some cash and buy another one? There are guys that are associated with this that lost almost everything, and someone is going to cry and wine about a broken board? I am sure that there are several that are associated with this that wish their only worries was a broken board or binding. All of this garbage you guys preach about a small community, sheet man, have some sympathy for some people that have fallen on difficult times and quit playing armchair qb on what Company should or should not have done.
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-08-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
its a personal statement, idiot.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-08-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
"What about a two week old broken boat that I can't warranty now?" {I think you meant to say board and I will assume so}

Big deal. So you broke a wakeboard and you may have to pony up some cash and buy another one? There are guys that are associated with this that lost almost everything, and someone is going to cry and wine about a broken board? I am sure that there are several that are associated with this that wish their only worries was a broken board or binding. All of this garbage you guys preach about a small community, sheet man, have some sympathy for some people that have fallen on difficult times and quit playing armchair qb on what Company should or should not have done.
Jeez man ease up. No need to bash him for wanting his warranty claim honored.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2011, 3:01 PM Reply   
I really dug company and respect the heck out of justin for more than one reason. I'm also really bummed that justin and company are no longer producing their goods, and I seriously wish them all the best of luck because it was so cool seeing a new brand like company on the scene to shake things up. but I can't help but respond to two things on here (while not saying that company's methods were good or bad--I'm just saying I can see where some upset people might be coming from in certain situations):

1) It's a privilege to ride a company's wakeboards not a right. Company doesn't owe you anything. Even a loyal fan they don't.

That's crazy. So are you saying it's a brand's "right" that a consumer supports them with their hard earned money, especially in a competitive industry? I'd say it's the opposite, because they are fighting for your eye and dollar. and similarly, if a consumer is supporting a brand, they (that brand) do owe the consumer some trust in their methods and products. I'd want to know that if a product I purchase failed in an unusual circumstance that they're going to take care of me, and that they believe in their product. That's customer service, and maintaining that bond and possibly any loyalty the brand has managed to create with the customer. If they don't have this (at the very least) then then a brand really doesn't deserve to be in business. it's not their "privilege" to be in business if they can't back up their product and take care of the customer.

Finally, if someone told me to just pony up and buy another 500.00 board (or whatever) after having just bought a new one, I'd be pissed. I know for sure I wouldn't be able to do that and I'd be upset if I didn't have another board to ride. That's the reality for some people, and it's just not that simple.

Last edited by electricsnow; 07-08-2011 at 3:09 PM. Reason: west side story inspiration
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Big deal. So you broke a wakeboard and you may have to pony up some cash and buy another one? There are guys that are associated with this that lost almost everything,
I would be willing to bet they knew the risks of starting a company... random kid who mows lawns and saves lunch money to ride and now is SOL. I am not affected by this directly - never ridden Company gear or have any connections - but do think it sucks they're out of the game... its the downside of the American dream. You take what you've got, hope to god it blows up the right way, but if it doesn't start over. I have no doubts that some of the guys behind the project will land on their feet.

I'm posting my take, just like you are posting yours. My fiance' is in PR and showed her this and was surprised it took one individual to make a statement... that was my thought too.... it sucks for "Company" to put Justin in the **** storm and not declare their status under a generic company name.

Here is another opinion - Jeremy (wake77) ... you're an idiot. Doesn't mean much, does it?... because you don't know me and it can be deleted in 5 minutes.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
hey peeps, it's july, which means it's summer in the northern hemisphere. go ride plz thx.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
it's july, which means it's summer in the northern hemisphere. go ride plz thx.
What about 8-4 Monday - Friday?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
joe, not all of us live on a lake or an immediate body of water. you posted the link, of course people are going to have opinions.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
of course i expected opinions, but the name calling and such (not you), this thread could do without.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
I don't think I'm owed anything, I was just stating my opinion. thanks

and technical and legal reasons is awfully vague. I work in a heavily regulated industry and from personal experience, that phrase can mean just about anything
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jealous_soul View Post
and technical and legal reasons is awfully vague. I work in a heavily regulated industry and from personal experience, that phrase can mean just about anything
but you know what it means when one can't say anything due to legal reasons, right?
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
That's crazy. So are you saying it's a brand's "right" that a consumer supports them with their hard earned money, especially in a competitive industry?
nope it's not the brand's right either. It's a privilege to be in either position. Buyer or seller.

I could see if you bought a board that broke you'd be upset. However, if you bought it from a local pro shop I'm sure they would work with you on getting you a new setup in this circumstance.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2011, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
but you know what it means when one can't say anything due to legal reasons, right?
doesn't mean that I don't like that response, and I think it's ok for me to not like it.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I think it's comical that a bunch of people are on the internet complaing that they didn't get a more detailed explanation of what happenned behind the scenes to company and feel they deserve it. Why? Because you like wakeboarding or bought a board for a few hundred dollars at some point? I believe Justin and Company's goal was to make great boards and boots and support the industry and riders, and make a living doing this. Due to legal troubles (which a seperate debate in itself), these guys lost the company and almost everything. They tried their best to save it. I had some company boards and when I had a problem Justin emailed me back personally and ALWAYS made it right. Always. I've never dealt with a company that tried that hard to help out someone who bought a $400 board off the internet (there were no local dealers selling their gear).
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-09-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
"Finally, if someone told me to just pony up and buy another 500.00 board (or whatever) after having just bought a new one, I'd be pissed. I know for sure I wouldn't be able to do that and I'd be upset if I didn't have another board to ride. That's the reality for some people, and it's just not that simple."

When you ride, are you just cruising behind the boat, holding the line, no wake jumps? If your board breaks in that scenario, then by all means, the board should be warrantied. But if you are hitting wakes, especially double ups, boards are going to break, it's just how things are. How many threads are started about ACL's torn, bones broken, rotator cuffs torn? I don't see the mentality that in a sport where you are one fall away from being laid up for months, that boards are supposed to be indestructible. I broke a board two weeks ago and do you know where it is? It's laying on the table with the other boards I have broken, along with a few pairs of bindings that are toast, not one have I tried to warranty.

"Here is another opinion - Jeremy (wake77) ... you're an idiot. Doesn't mean much, does it?... because you don't know me and it can be deleted in 5 minutes."

Stay classy my friend.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-09-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
When you ride, are you just cruising behind the boat, holding the line, no wake jumps? If your board breaks in that scenario, then by all means, the board should be warrantied. But if you are hitting wakes, especially double ups, boards are going to break, it's just how things are. How many threads are started about ACL's torn, bones broken, rotator cuffs torn? I don't see the mentality that in a sport where you are one fall away from being laid up for months, that boards are supposed to be indestructible. I broke a board two weeks ago and do you know where it is? It's laying on the table with the other boards I have broken, along with a few pairs of bindings that are toast, not one have I tried to warranty.
Sorry mate, but I can't take you seriously when you're trying to act like you're a hardass because you don't care about breaking boards

When I buy **** that has a warranty and it breaks, I take advantage of that warranty. Makes sense, no? But we're getting off topic...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
I'm just still trying to figure out exactly what they did that was so innovative, since that's continuing to be claimed even by themselves. Gotta agree with JD, this left more questions than gave answers, which usually means one thing.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-09-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
"but I can't take you seriously when you're trying to act like you're a hardass because you don't care about breaking boards"

You're right we're off topic. I'm not acting like anything, I'm telling you how I feel. Breaking boards is just part of it. I have broken plenty of skateboards (I broke a Tommy Guerrero two days after I bought it back in the day, and I was like 12, so it wasn't like I had the cash just to immediately buy another one), if I had taken one back and asked for a new board, they would have laughed me out of the shop.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-09-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
joe, I totally agree with you on the respect part and that would have been my main point also. people will always have opinions and most want to express them. and those opinions will be better received if they're expressed with mutual respect. and for whatever it's worth, I did hit up a 2.0 for the first time today.

about the board durability thing: I don't expect a board to last forever--I wakeskate and still ride wood boards, and we know those won't last forever. What I think is streching that is if you break a board soon after you buy it, especially if it's a 400.00 or 500.00 board. breaking a board after two weeks (unless you're crashing into stuff or whatever); I don't think that's OK.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2011, 9:44 PM Reply   
What about a two week old broken boat that I can't warranty now?

You aren't serious are you? You must be just making a point? 2 weeks ago was mid-june and the news about Company has been out for months. If you were willing to spend $500 on something without doing ANY research into the company or product then you obviously have money to burn. If you have money to burn then you have money to go pay another $500 for another wakeboard. With your money, you could afford to buy another Company board knowing if it breaks it will not be warrantied.... no big deal, just pull some of that cash out of the fire and and buy another.

I loved how Company shot out into the market and shook it up and I am bummed that they are done, however, people on WW get hammered all the time for brand loyalty (both for boats and gear) and not trying something different. This goes to show that sometimes you stick with the company that has proved itself over and over, one that is more likely to still be around the next year.

With that said, I love trying new products and companies (bought a brand new 2007 Ronix set up when they first came out on the market, and currently have a 2011 Axis A22)
I really hope people in the industry learned a lot from Company and take that with them for the next project, and I hope to see more wakeboard companies in the near future.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2011, 10:26 PM Reply   
hearing this unfold was kinda like hearing about two good neighbors entering into a feud...

It is just a human tendency to be curious and want answers, even when we are not involved or affected by certain events. the majority of what is reported on the news and in other media does not involve most of its audience. But sometimes it causes us to take a step back and ask additional questions, broader questions. As bystanders we opened a lot of doors, some lead to answers, some did not. I think we learned a lot about the industry and its operation and interconnectedness. some found it surprising, some found it interesting, some disturbing, and some are indifferent

speaking of media, i am surprised i never noticed even a hint of it in any of the wake mags, but maybe it was for the better. the average wakeboarder probably does not know anything about all this. Although there was some pretty heavy coverage on Keith Lyman that even touched on some sensitive industry areas... but that is almost an entirely different subject

This year has been quite the year for controversy, surprises, and disappointments. this kind of thing finds ways of resurfacing, its unavoidable (for better or for worse) This won't be the last thread we see about these things.

i did not have a whole lot of personal experience with Company, but IMO the most innovative thing they produced was their method of mounting the bindings. solid awesomeness (from an in store perspective).
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-11-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
They were headed in the right direction with integrity producing their high end boards, but now we have phalanx lets hope they can fill the gap left by company
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-11-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
My only question (which may have been answered elsewhere), is what happens with their team riders? Were some of these riders also invested in company? Similar to how ronix is doing it?
I apologize if these are questions that have already been answered, but i have not been paying too much attention to industry stuff lately.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-11-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
You aren't serious are you? You must be just making a point?
Yes I was:
Quote:
I am not affected by this directly - never ridden Company gear or have any connections - but do think it sucks they're out of the game...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
That statement was a tease. I'm interested in what happened, but as an industry guy, you have to watch what you say I guess. I'm sure Justin will be looking for another job within the industry. He may have a hard time if he let the secrets out.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-11-2011, 7:16 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure Justin has been shooting photo/video since the end of Company. He's been shooting video sections in the wake industry since VHS.

Last edited by beretta5spd; 07-11-2011 at 7:17 PM. Reason: grammar