Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
I am going to go look at this boat and do a water test with it tomorrow. The guy will take $2800 for it. comes withe the tower and a cover. He said he replaced the stringers three years ago. Says it runs good. what do you guys thing for 2800

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1852197419.html
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-28-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I would just really check out the floor on that thing. It looks like original carpet and interior. If he redid the stringers it definately wouldn't have original carpet and most likely would have a new interior. other than that it looks like a great deal. the trailer makes me a bit nervous just because it looks like the rudder and prop seem to be pretty close to the ground.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
If it runs good and the stringers/floor are solid it is a great deal. I bet you could have a ton of fun on that thing. Even if you buy it and thrash the crap out of it for a couple years you are only out 2800 or so.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Whats the easiest way to tell if the stringers and floor are good?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1012 View Post
Whats the easiest way to tell if the stringers and floor are good?
The floor will be soft. To check the stringers take a socket set with you. Just try and tighten the motor mount bolts. If they spin without tightening the stringers are mush. If they bite down they should be ok.
Old     (wake1012)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-28-2010, 3:21 PM Reply   
We are doing a water test on it tomorrow. Any other opinions on the boat?
Old     (mywakeisbiggerr)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-28-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
^^ yeah its a piece
Old     (cpizzle2)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Mannnnn..... that's gangsta! I like it!

I hope you realize that you will almost immediately start dumping money into it. From the trailer to steering cables, shift cables, electronics...... If you're handy and realize that you are willing to pump in $2000+ over the next year then go for it. I just see too many people that get a deal on a boat and it just sits cause it's broken.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-29-2010, 5:25 AM Reply   
Its blue.........

The price sounds right, if the motor is strong (do a compression test) and the stringers are new like he says (did he do them himself? quality of resto?) It should last a few years at least. The interior looks shot, Check the controls for play, check the fluid in the transmission. Any big ticket item thats on its last leg can easily put you into it for more than its worth.

and its blue.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-29-2010, 5:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
The floor will be soft. To check the stringers take a socket set with you. Just try and tighten the motor mount bolts. If they spin without tightening the stringers are mush. If they bite down they should be ok.

Unfortunately, this only tells you about a small portion of the stringer. Pull up any section of flooring you can, tap on it with a hammer and listen if it feels solid in addition to turning the lag bolts.

Thats about all you can do thats non-invasive in a boat you dont own yet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-29-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I agree. If stringers were replaced (major job) how did original carpet and int get back in there??