Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
The Sundown Marine 2004 Polar Bear run was held Saturday 1/3 during the worst winter storm in the past 15 years. Riders braved 14 degree air temps and a driving snowstorm to make their first runs of the New Year.
Riders were able to ride behind 2 Malibu 23'WakeSetters. Free Hot drinks, warming hot tub, space heaters and give-aways were also available as well as a prize drawing for a Hyperlite Wakeboard package worth $600.
I would like to thank the new owners of Sundown for sponsoring a great event.

polarbear1
polarbear2
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
one more shot....

polar3
Old    tfdhyprider            01-05-2004, 3:04 PM Reply   
thats awesome!
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2004, 3:06 PM Reply   
Kirk, that is out of controllll!!!!!!

What kind of tower/bimini is that in the last photo? Is that THE Illusion?(or is it AN illusion) The posts look really close together and the bimini is over the tower.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
It's a new 2004 Illusion tower with bimini. Solid as a rock. I think it's made by Metcraft.
I didnt like the old design but this one is right on the money...
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-05-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
Cool,

I guess thats that new SNOWBRELLA bimini material!

And to think I was complaining about 52 degree air and water yesterday morning.
Old    bsoto            01-05-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
Kirk,

Yeah I almost made it down there but I was afraid of getting my car stuck in the snow. Did you strap on the air chair?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
I rode for about 20 minutes before I couldnt feel my fingers... It was pretty brutal. My hair was frozen solid and felt like a helmet on my head.
Old    wakesurge17            01-05-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
Hey kirk that was quite a ride. I live in pasco and I was there. It was sick. I was the young guy who tryed to pull a 360 at the end. I couldn't hold on to the rope anymore. My hands felt like bricks. Those boats were beautiful. It was great with the hot water for out hands. I am looking forward to next year baby.
Old    wakesurge17            01-05-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
dude you have a nice boat kirk I want to ride behind it!! how old is your son? You have a nice rig too. Did your son ride at the polar bear run? well I guess I'll see you next year!!!
Old    wakesurge17            01-05-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
oh yeah one more thing, do you have anymore pics?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
Hey Eric,
Thanks. My son had to work and couldnt make it.
If you ever see us on the river flag us down... we'll give you a pull.

Kirk
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-06-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
Nice to see the Northwest Hardcore mentality doesn't stop at the pass. Great pics.

We wanted to ride, but there was too much ice on the road to trailer the boat down to the lake.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
When they pulled the boats out there was 10" snow on the ramp...
Old    bsoto            01-06-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Kirk,

I thought your boat was winterized and put up for the year. Also we are planning another trip to Roosevelt in July the weekend before boat races if your interested. Check out my profile pic for a reminder of the water we got to ride on.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-06-2004, 12:14 PM Reply   
Ben,
We didnt use my boat. We were behind 2 dealer boats. I have bben wanting to do Roosevelt foe a while. Looks like a blast. Is it a one week trip? We usually do Crescent Bar the week before or after the races.
Can you believe this weather? It was -14 degrees Sunday night. It's a good thing they didnt have the Polar run two days later.
Old    bsoto            01-06-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Kirk,

Don't even get me started on this weather I can't believe how horrible it's been.

We are doing like a weekend thing for the Houseboat something like Thursday night thru Sunday afternoon or Friday night thru Monday afternoon. I might actually have my dates mixed up it's possible it's two weekends before the races, I'll have to double check. You should really consider coming up, you'd love the water there.
Old    wakesurge17            01-06-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
I'll hold you up on that tow!!!
Old    teenhack            01-06-2004, 8:51 PM Reply   
Man that was cold too... I thought those dry suits woulda made a difference but as soon as my head hit the water it hit my like a ton of bricks....
Actually I gotta give props to Eric because I was ready to chicken out after standing on that dock for about 20 mins waiting for my turn. Course waiting didnt exactly help to the fact that my hands were to numb to hold on to the ropes.
Great event guys, definetly something to remember.
Old    teenhack            01-06-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
Actually on the side note my dad walked away with the Wakeboard package. Lucky guy, I only had him enter his name with the idea that I would get two free shirts!!!
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       01-07-2004, 7:01 AM Reply   
Ben,
I will get the boat out on Feb.1st if the weather isnt like this...We were out riding on the 1st last year.
I forgot to add the following to the first post...
This event was held in the Tri-cities, Washington State on the Columbia River.
Here are a couple more shots...