Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2010, 9:49 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I just took all of the original stickers off of my boat (they had been there a while) and I am trying to figure out the best way to make the boat look good again. I was able to get all of the goo/crap off with goo-gone but the color is faded where the original stickers were and vice-versa. Do you think wax/polish/buffing would do the trick? I really just want to make the entire boat look better...not just the areas where I took the stickers and designs off. Can you recommend any products that you use? Any help is appreciated
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-04-2010, 5:23 AM Reply   
your going to need ot wetsand it.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-04-2010, 6:30 AM Reply   
I was in the same situation, badly oxidized around the previous decal, like new under the decal.... I used 3m super duty rubbing compound with a wooly pad on a circular polisher. No one can even tell where the previous decals were. Not sure how bad yours is... but this worked for me.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-04-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Clean it.... get a polisher (not a standard buffer) and hit it with this stuff http://www.properautocare.com/bowtos...te=google_base
Be careful not to dig in too hard or get it too hot with your polisher. When you have it all polished up you will need to wax it, use your standard orbital for that.

I just did this on a few areas on my x2 that I removed decals on, worked great.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. So if I do this to the entire boat it should make it look a lot better right? Not just the areas where the decals were
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
One of my previous boats, an old Tigé, was that way when i got and i did the same all over and it looked like new. Just remember that oxidation is actually thousands of micro pits in the gel so you have to get past those with the polisher to get a smooth surface. Once you do you'll be amazed at how much better it looks. While I don't have a before pic it was chalky black/gray with pink stripes before i started, here's the after shot after a marathon polishing buffing session and before wax.
Attached Images

Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
That's awesome, that pics gives me some hope. Mine is the same way, chalky black/gray with pink stripes. Do you know if those smaller hand polishers that they sell at home depot or somethig would do the trick? Like this one
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Or do you think I need something a little better to get the job done?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
I honestly can't say for the small units. But i got mine at Harbor Freight, i wasn't so much worries adbout the quality as the features mainly variable speed. If i was using it all the time i would have boaught a Porter-Cable but as i really only need it for this job i bought cheap. That was five years ago and it still works great as i use it to wax/polish up the Moomba every spring and fall.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the help
Old     (gravity)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
This is gonna sound crazy to most but, when the surface is really chaulky you can wash it with comet. it will take off all the chaulk. helps keep your pad cleaner, and then go with the 3m compound them swirl remover then top it with you polish/wax of choice
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Actually that doesn't sound all that crazy. Comet is pretty abrasive so i could see where it would work to an extent, kinda like using Diamond Cut or something. Lotta elbow grease though!
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 3:25 PM Reply   
Just curious, how did you remove the stickers/decals off the boat?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
I used a heat gun and a plastic putty scraper, the type for mixing resin and stuff. It was a beatch for sure. Just don't get the heat to close to the gel or for to long.
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Yeah, I did the same thing with a blow dryer and it sucked, bad
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-04-2010, 7:00 PM Reply   
i just finished doing my boat. It was hard work but WELL worth it!!! Alot of wet sanding and buffing!
Old     (chasenm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-04-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
Awesome man. Anyone have any before and after pics?
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Go to the 'finally joined the inboard club thread