Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (pri3st)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-30-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
I had a tower mirror, looks cool....but I'm over it. It just shook all over the place, moved on the tower & I can't see squat when the bimini is up...which is 99.99% of the time. I want a windshield mount for the walkthrough window. Was thinking about a Cipa comp II #5121. http://skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1086 anyone used one? I still have the mirror that was on the tower arm http://www.diywake.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=555 will #5198 from the skidim link work with that mirror.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-02-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
I hear ya Kevin. I bought a boat that has a nice articulated Fusion tower mirror. It looks sweet. But I have a tough time mounting it inward enough that people don't clip it with their arm everytime they walk into the bow. And the fact that the boat sits on my dock with the mirror outside the boat cover.... well, I just wonder how long it will stay mine.

I had my old 205 setup with dual mirrors mounted on the windshield using a pair of stock Calabria brackets. I was able to easily fold them down under the boat cover. I could run the boat at speed with the windshield wide open & the mirrors never moved. And people could walk thru to the bow without hitting them. I've posted this pic here 100 times so I'll just include a link.

So I'd like to set this up on the Vride too. But the thickness of the Malibu windshield is too much for the stock Calabria brackets. I understand that CorrectCraft has a similar bracket, possibly for a thicker windshield. So I'm on the hunt for a pair of them. And I have a Fusion tower bracket, and two DIY tower brackets I'll be unloading to make it all come together.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-02-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Bill,
I used to have 2 Monster Tower mounts with the standard CIPA mirrors, got the idea from Geof K. I switched to the CIPA Extreme when Monster came out with the mount for them, and gave my extra one to Grumpy. With the Extreme set up right I can see everything but really wide gainers, and there is a quick release to take the mirror arm off of the clamp when the boat is covered. The Monster Tower arm isn't very fancy, but it doesn't move at all even with the big mirror.

As for the bimini issue, the bracket for the mirror hangs down when the bimini is up, and I flip it up when the bimini isn't up. We ride in the late afternoon so my mirror is also my sun visor during the fall and winter when the bimini is stored.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2009, 8:35 AM Reply   
Hey D,
Hope all is well in Big D.
I've used the Cipa Extreme quite a few times & it is definitely better than just a single Comp. But I found the smaller mirrors on either end were pretty small & distorted. That would be my second choice if running 2 Comps proved to be a problem. Having already owned a boat with 2 Comps, I liked it. Less hassle (just fold the mirrors down rather than removing them or leaving them out), balances the look of the boat out, stable, great view of the rider, easy to use even with a bimini, etc.
I found a pair of the Nautique brackets at my local Nautique dealer for about $50 each. There has to be a few Nautique owners here that upgraded to tower mounts & want to unload their old mount for less than that though.