Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (roadkill475)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-10-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
I need to find out what type of video cameras the pro filmers are using!!! It's been bugging me for the longest time....I know Sean Kilgus films with 16mm....So I'm trying to figure out:

1. What kind of camera is he using??

2. What kind of cameras do they use that have that 16mm look?? I've heard they are Sony DVCam PD-170s but I'm not sure. A good example is the film from Viva La Bam....It has the 16mm look to it...(The newer seasons use it more).

I just hate that home video look....I have a Sony MiniDV and its great...But I need to upgrade because filters only go so far....Anything will help!!
Old     (roadkill475)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-10-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
Oh..By the way...Here's a promo I made one night...The wakeboard shots are from the PWT this year in portland...It's pretty short but its still worth a look!

http://www.zippyvideos.com/8773676211190286/work/
Old                01-11-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
mostly big tv shows are shot on 2/3" ccd cameras. big heave cameras like you see news people using. now they have several different formats and all that as well (betacam, dvcam, dvcam pro, pro 50, etc...).

for film cameras for shooting movies/wakeboarding and what not, they use 35mm, 16mm, and sometimes 8mm film. some brands are arriflex, bolex, panavision, and konvas just to name a few.

when using smaller ccd camcorders that "we" can afford, like the dvx100a or canon xl2 for SD, or the jvc hd100u or sony z1u HDV camcorders, there DOF is more limited because of the size of the ccd.

and by film look, usually that means alot of things... lighting, camera exposure, depth of field, camera movements, and post production (color grading for the most part). without all of those you only get one piece of the film look.

there are solutions to not being able to achieve a shallow depth of field by using a 35mm adapter. www.redrockmicro.com makes them and so do other companies/people on dvinfo.net. its "basically" an adapter you put in front of your camcorder and allows you to use 35mm cinema or SLR lenses. theres more info and clips on those on the websites mentioned.

for wakeboarding its hard to get the right exposure for shooting because the sun is always around to pester you, except at sunrise. thats the best time to shoot because the sun isnt extremely harsh.

does this help at all?}
Old     (roadkill475)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-11-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Yeah that helps a lot....If you have any sample shots or if anyone else does let me know! Especially if anyone has any shots with the Sony z1u HDV....I wanna know what kind of look that gives when you shoot....

What do you think of the Sony PD-170??

If you ever find out the exact camera they use in Viva La Bam....Let me know...I will be eternally greatful!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-11-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
focus MORE on your craft and LESS on your equipment.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-11-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
aren't most "film looks" done in post?
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Viva la Bam still looks like video. If your talking about the intro to the show? It was all done in post by www.shilodesign.com
They use many different cameras on that show. including a dvx100a, pd170, all 3 ccd cameras. Just watch the show very close and you can see a couple of the cameras they use.

(Message edited by brinks on January 11, 2006)
Old                01-12-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
alex, go here and just start browsing the forums until you exhaust yourself with tons of information about everything DV... www.dvinfo.net/conf
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-12-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
brinks your underlying link is bad.. This works:
http://www.shilodesign.com/

Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Thanks Kung Fu
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-13-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
Doesnt Bam use those "HD" sony cameras?

Also Alex does have a point about the equipment quote.

If your just making films for fun, dont worry about your camera, because to get one that actually looks good is $$$. ANd plus you have to know how to use it as well. Like Exposing it correctly, and Color Correcting in post is key. But if all your going to do with it is post it, then the qualty goes way down any way.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-13-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   

Sorry, also just had to say that there is no real way to get that "film" look unless you shoot film. The depth of field and information is just not there in DV. Not raging on DV because its awsome for what it is, but its not film.
Old     (roadkill475)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-13-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
I've been using editing programs for a while and I've noticed that even in post production and with the proper exposure its just not how "I" want it to look...Making films is fun don't get me wrong...But there is just something that my sony doesn't give me that another camera can...I don't want new equipment because I think it will change everything....Scott is right...It's about the craft, which is one of the best parts of making a film, I just want to try something new in the "craft" of filming...That's all...

Thanks for posting everyone! It has helped me out...
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   

Super 8mm is super fun and pretty cheap, might want to try that.

Check out pro8mm.com

You can probably buy and transfer your film by just sending it to them.