Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
Well not really but I just wanted to tell my story of hangin out on the Delta. Im a passenger on Judes X9, We roll by ski beach just as we get there our friend Harold and crew rolls up. We decide to tie up together around the corner from ski beach in the 5mph zone. Just as we get setteld we notice that theirs like 5 diffrent water cops floating around like sharks looking 4 somthing to eat. The only thing cool about sitting there is watching the cop's pull over Jack A$$'s on jet ski's throwing wakes in the 5mph zone. We decide that we would feel more comfortable if we moved away from the law. So we chill around the corner. After chilling for a few we decide to roll out and on our way home we get pulled over by the exact same cops we were trying to aviod. Nothing dramatic it was the Cast Gaurd. They were cool no power trippin they did the normal check everything and let us go.
As soon as we pull away we see a stranded boat, We pull over to them,they say they are out of gas and we throw them a rope for a pull back to disco bay. Then the drama starts, We do the rookie move and run over our rope Woop's. So now we are no help to our out of gas friends.
I dive under the boat and start the job of untangling the rope from the prop. Not realy as bad as I thought it would be except for the fact that we drifted in to the tully's and the mud So now im woring in the 3 1/2 feet of Black water and mud between the boat, as boats are throwing wake and the boat is bobbing up and down and the rudder is working like a jack hammer. As I was under the boat working away all I could think about is this is one of thoes stupid things that happens that turns way worse. So to say I had my gaurd up was a understatment. lol The cost gaurd pulls up and offers a knife to cut the rope away. By this time the rope was all most free. So one more dive under the boat and we were free. When we were finished for some reason we didnt feel like towing anyone. And we flagged down the cops and had them tow the people back. We were like hey lets get the cops to work. The cops pulled up and got them hooked up. Our friends were pulled over by the Coast Gaurd in the same aera as well. I guess they are cracking down. Make sure you have all your stuff in line.
jackets extingusher ect. Have fun and be safe
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
hmmm

another interesting story
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
and btw don't ya love it when the only time you run over your rope is when you're pulling someone out of danger or what not..

it just figures to be a little too ironic sometimes..
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
They've been hammering ski beach since the fight/roit earlier in the year. seems like everytime I've been by the are on the prowl.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2005, 6:09 AM Reply   
On a side note: I carry a mask and snorkel for just such occassions.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
Chris, that is a smart thing to carry. I helped wrap Aaron's prop in Bel Marin Keys, it was a team effort While they were eating dinner I carefully removed the rope sitting in the dingy, with the boat on the lift, that made it much easier.

We had the Sheriff pull up to us yesterday, because we were teaching a new boarder right at the swim platform and did not have a flag up yet. No driver in the drivers seat. We put the flag up when we saw them coming, and received a few deserved comments regarding that. I just said "You are 100% correct and that we knew better". Another comment from them about "Fines" and they politely let us go about teaching our rider. No complaints from us as we were in the wrong and they were professional about it, although it was a grey area as the rider was touching the platform. Thanks to the Sheriff's and Coast Guard for trying to keep our water ways safe! I just wish I could have people pulled over at will, with how many idiots there are on the water, especially the drunks.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-15-2005, 3:18 PM Reply   
yup...there was a coast guard camping out in front of ski beach on sunday as well. when we were there we got a phone call from our friends saying that their boat was having problems. so we go to union point where they were stranded and pulled them all the way to disco bay yacht harbor. along the way myself and another lady were chillin out on the teak platform and up on the back engine cover (knowing it is illegal). we figured that since were only going 5 and were towing another boat back to the dock we'd be given only a warning. sure enough as we passed twins on old river a coast guard came up to us and warned us that its a $500 fine per person to do that. oh yeah, and a word of caution: if you are ever towing another boat YOU are liable for anything THEY are doing. so if they are doing something stupid then YOU get the ticket even if you dont know them.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-15-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Scott said : if you are ever towing another boat YOU are liable for anything THEY are doing. so if they are doing something stupid then YOU get the ticket even if you dont know them, WTF who told you this. This seems way lame if its true! Im guessin the Coast Gaurd told you this while you were towing the people????. Over all it seems the Coast Gaurd has been pretty cool with all of us with just warning us. The Coast Gaurd guy's that pulled us over seemd young with no additude. I left out a little fact in my orignal story that we were short a life jacket and told the Coast Gaurd that we left the extra jacket on a friends boat when we were tied up. He said ok no problem and let us go. Pretty cool IMO
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-15-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
grant- from what i understand (my dad reads boating forums for yachts and sailboats and other bigger boats, many people there have captain's liscences and what not) you are responsible for the people that you are towing. also if your rope breaks and their boat hits the rocks its your bad and they can sue. welcome to california...it'll make you think twice about being a good samaritan, right? not sure if this is a coast guard regulation or just a state law.

anyways if someone knows for sure that im wrong feel free to post. i'll see if i can post some links to the forums my dad has been telling me about. lately there have been quite a few stories of people towing others so it would be great to know for sure if this is true or not.

but yeah, the coast guard was way chill and just poked his head out the window to warn us. then he left. im guessing the beefed up presence was in response to the boating accidents/deaths that have happened recently.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-15-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
Does the coast guard have the right to pull you over just because they want to check you out (see your vests; smell your breath)? Or, do they need to have probable cause?
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
YUP YUP!

I went out with Jude on Sunday, and we headed back over to Ski beach. I must say I have never felt so out of place!

Things I need to do before going back-

1- Invest in Red Hat (or black but not as popular)
2- Get multiple tattoos. The more random design the better!
3- Get a lot of Bud Light cans stocked into the cooler!

Actually it was pretty cool, Jude was in rare form! These breezies named him Mister Tequila!!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
Dane, the Coast Guard can search your entire boat at anytime, with no probable cause. If they find drugs they can confiscate said vessel onsite never to be returned to it's owner. How about them apples? They have tons of power, but usually are not out to flex it. Most people do not join the Coast Guard to police people, instead they join to help and rescue people. At least all the ones I have known, including many officers here in the Bay Area.
Old     (jdrcrew8)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
As a response to the above question: It is a firm part of marine law that if you take another boat under tow you become responsible for the other vessel.

Shouldn't stop you from becoming a good samaritan unless they are in real danger, in that case save the people and call the Coast Guard regarding the vessel, but something every boater should know.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-16-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
This is all really good to hear. I love how they didn't go nuts about a lack of lifejackets, which I figured would be a big deal. Coast Guard seems to be very reasonable from what I'm hearing, and although I have not run into them (yet), it seems like they won't ruin your day :-)