Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    el3ctro            08-02-2004, 11:03 PM Reply   
Hey every one!
Im starting to get into wake boarding and am probably 1y/o to the sport.When im wakeboarding i usually stop due to either a sore back, knee, or hands and arms, i was just wondering if there are any exercises to loose a bit of fat, gain a bit of muscle in my whole body but mainly forearms and abs and legs and back (higher and lower back, i had a herniated disc 2 years ago in my lower back L5S1)
oh and some stretches or training i can do for wake boarding (i dont have a trampoline because there re alot of trees near me

Thanx everyone
EL3CTRO
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 12:51 AM Reply   
Scott,

Couldn't agree more. I took a good spill this weekend and tore/stretched my abs. Man! This HURTS! This was a wake-up call for me that I need to be in much better shape. I have not been doing sit-ups. That is why my abs took a beating.

I feel a good overall workout would be the first line of defense. You should be be doing this anyway, even if you were not into boarding. Many parts of the body take a beating either riding, or falling. I would focus on the lower and upper back, legs, and abs. Stretching is critical, and probably more important than overall strength. You do not want your first stretch of the day to be during a good crash.

Like I said, I found out the hard way that I had an area that was not up to par. Once I heal up, I will be changing my ways and getting into better shape in several areas. At least I have always stretched prior to riding.

This is also more important for old farts like me (46). You young whippersnappers can take much more of a beating and get away with it. At least I am out there hitting it!! Wouldn't have it any other way!!

Old    el3ctro            08-03-2004, 4:53 AM Reply   
thanks for the reply buzz
when you do recover do you think you might be able to help me make a program, before i suggested arme because i also play baseball and really want to get serious for it
thanks buzz
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
"i was just wondering if there are any exercises to loose a bit of fat, gain a bit of muscle in my whole body but mainly forearms and abs and legs and back"

You've listed most of your main muscle groups. If I were just getting into this sport, I'd spend a lot of time getting in great shape. Resistance training all of your major muscle groups, stretching, etc......Take it from someone who's currently laid up with a broken leg and blown out knee. I was in damn good shape too, but there is always room for improvement.

First thing is first, how/where are you gonna be working out? Do you have a gym membership or are you going to make do with some home equipment and/or weights. I got tired of paying monthly membership fees to a gym and purchased all of my own equipment. For about $300 you can have all the free weights / bench / rack you need to work every last muscle in your body.

If you're going to a gym, pay for a session with a trainer and let them work out a routine for you. If you're gonna do this on your own, there are more than enough resources online to help you come up with a workout routine.

It's been my experience that knees and shoulders are the two most common injuries in wakeboarding. I'd spend a lot of time building up the muscles in your legs to help prevent a blown knee. Same goes for your shoulders.
Old    el3ctro            08-03-2004, 10:56 PM Reply   
i got a bench press and a pull down and some free weights.
how do i prevent knee and back injuries
what are some good stomach execises w/o straining your back?
thanx