Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (surfsider1)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-01-2014, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hello, I'm new to the site and wanted input from the wake boarding community. I have shaped and glassed surf boards, and want to take my skills to my DIY wake board design for personal use. I have been a "seasonal/summer" wake boarder for over 20 years and started on the old school plastic scurfer. Im thinking of using a wood core, but have not ruled out foam. I know how many layers and what weight glass to use on a surfboard, but don't know how many layers or weight to use on a wakeboard. If anyone has any info on class E glass, Kevlar, and carbon fiber, please let know. Thanks
Old     (biomaster)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-01-2014, 4:13 PM Reply   
Maybe ask this bloke: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801477

Looks like a lot of work, and probably costs a lot more than getting an off the shelf board, but hey, if you enjoy it, then why not.
Old    nehamohsan            04-02-2014, 12:42 AM Reply   
How you can hold on to your goal and Raspberry Ultra Drops be flexible in how you can sing she had a pathological fracture and we’re told she couldn't go home she said well what do I have to do to go home it that way then have to go to rehab and you're going to have to be able to transfer into chair into a current it sounded very big and she did said book me into rehab and that would be and that and question was able to manage and in the end it is family that is most important and it definitely spirits carry the physical that's the big example there when I was 48 I was diagnosed with on breast cancer I had regular mammograms since at least 40 I and always believed breast cancer we parted my script but Castlewood no crime but we had moved to text scorn 19 being diagnosed and at that point there would eighty percent of women had a five-year survival rate I had a goal I wanted survival .
http://raspberryultradropsfacts.com/
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-02-2014, 2:52 AM Reply   
Hi, because the board is a lot thinner than a surfboard you need to think about the flex of the board a bit more so the layups tend to be a bit heavier than a surfboard. I've gone for a 6mm core with a heavy all carbon layup top and bottom (375gsm twill carbon, 300gsm bi-axial carbon plus a few other bits and bobs - for mine the layup varies along the length of the board) and the core has quite a good crushing strength and high elongation to break so hopefully won't delam.

Whatever you use, you will need some sort of mould/pattern to get the shape/bottom profile or if you form the profiles from foam it will need to be supported during the cure so it doesn't deform
Old     (surfsider1)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-02-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
Hi, because the board is a lot thinner than a surfboard you need to think about the flex of the board a bit more so the layups tend to be a bit heavier than a surfboard. I've gone for a 6mm core with a heavy all carbon layup top and bottom (375gsm twill carbon, 300gsm bi-axial carbon plus a few other bits and bobs - for mine the layup varies along the length of the board) and the core has quite a good crushing strength and high elongation to break so hopefully won't delam.

Whatever you use, you will need some sort of mould/pattern to get the shape/bottom profile or if you form the profiles from foam it will need to be supported during the cure so it doesn't deform
Are you using two layers for top and bottom? How well has it held up? The cf cloth your using is about 11oz? I thought about using a foam core, but thought I could make it stronger with a light weight tight grain wood and use less fiber glass cloth than a foam core. What size is your board and how much does it weigh. Thanks for the info.
Old     (chrislandy)      Join Date: Mar 2014       04-03-2014, 9:14 AM Reply   
The layup changes along the board length, between 2 and 7 layers on the top and bottom depending on what it's doing (2 at the tips btw), 300 = 10.5oz 375 = 13.2oz

Not ridden yet as it's not quite finished (see the link above to "my homebrew wakeboard") The board is 142x44 approx, weighs in at just under 3.5kg (7lb 11oz) but it is definately heavier than it needs to be, the next ones (already!) target weight is sub 3kg / 6lb, I'll likely be using 200gsm (7oz) in place of the 375