Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ERPMANOR)      Join Date: May 2010       05-10-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
Hello, i have a canon gl-1 and recently got a GoPro HD. i use final cut express and am wondering if it is possible to use clips from both cameras in the same sequence and produce a quality video? if so what format do i need to use for each etc.. i am sort of a noob at this. Thank you
Old    Chaserwaser            05-11-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
u wont notice unless you have HD monitor or HD tv and even then i mean i wouldnt plan on anyone going Ooo OOooo he is using HD wait now he isnt ? lol
Old     (Steve_Bates)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
As long as you are shooting 720 with both, you'll be fine. Use MPEG Streamclip (free online) to match codecs.
Both can me .mov files, but completely different "coding". GoProHD shoots mp4....I think. Not sure about the GL1. Run them through MPEG Streamclip and make them both .mov and Pro Res 422. That should work....with the limited info you gave. If you don't match the codecs you'll spend hours rendering after every change.

You can mix and match sizes too, but then the quality will suffer. Dumping regular GoPro footage into a 720 timeline looks horrible.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       05-20-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
Steve, pretty sure go pro only shoots 720...? don't think they shoot 1080. Could be wrong tho. even if they aren't both 720, you should be fine as long as its relatively close quality. Make sure your aspect ratio is the same for both too. Don't want it switchin between 4:3 and 16:9. Like Steve said, big thing is makin sure u have the same codecs. Mpg streamclip is a good tool to have for sure. Maybe umali, weiland, or some of them will post with more advice.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-20-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
Canon GL1 shoots 480i.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-20-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
One or the other is going to need to be letterboxed, how are you going to get 16:9 out of a cam designed to shoot only 4:3. (or vice versa)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-21-2010, 4:43 AM Reply   
bonus that the gl1 shoots in 720p
Old     (Steve_Bates)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-23-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Wow.
If the GL1 shoots 480i, I would use it to sit on when you shoot everything with your new GoPro. No need to even use it. Trouble with a GoPro is to get anything close you will have to be riding on the shoulders of the wakeboarder.

Good luck.

Pretty sure the GoProHD shoots mp4. You'll need to convert that to ProRes in MPEG Streamclip or editing will suck.
Expect the file sizes to triple.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Steve- would you also use a DVX100 to sit on? That shoots 480i as well. So does the XL-1.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-24-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Oh Boy.