Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
I've been battleing a superly sprained ankle this season, and am looking to find the most support, yet easy to enter and exit boot. It's sprained enough to the point that I can't get it into the normal boot (Harley's, Cell's, etc.), so I'm looking to get either the new System Marek or the SS RAD. Does anyone have experience with either of this? If so how supportive/stiff are they?

I've been riding one foot in my 08 D2's (the other in my 2011 Harely), but they are pretty worn out and are flexing too much for me.
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-26-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
I've been battleing a superly sprained ankle this season, and am looking to find the most support, yet easy to enter and exit boot. It's sprained enough to the point that I can't get it into the normal boot (Harley's, Cell's, etc.), so I'm looking to get either the new System Marek or the SS RAD. Does anyone have experience with either of this? If so how supportive/stiff are they?

I've been riding one foot in my 08 D2's (the other in my 2011 Harely), but they are pretty worn out and are flexing too much for me.
Hi Jay,

I can only speak for the RAD... I can tell you that they are significantly stiffer then the D2 and they should offer good support for your ankle.

ST
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
same as serge
Rads are stiffer, easier and faster to lace and unlace, (especially after adding a loop of material around the central laces to help pull them). when fully loosened the tongue hinges so far open that you can nearly touch the top of the tongue to the tip of the toe box of the boot.

i have tried the mareks in a store setting though... from memmory i would say the mareks did not open quite as wide as the RADs, but the system binding of course opens wider than anything out there, just got to get the boot on first. being able to put boots on without a board attached might be helpful to you, or maybe not?
the mareks have a little bit more defined heel kidneys and the marek boots themselves (without) the system binding are surprisingly soft and flexible, just a tad more stiff than the murrays. the RAD boots have a more rounded toe box and not quite as pointed as previous SS boots (some are liking this [i do] and some don't) the marrek felt tight across my foot where the toes start... the metatarsal region i guess (but this should break in)

check these threads
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787989
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785821
there are several other system binding threads too.

and here is a links that you would find eventually in the RAD boot thread that has a overly in-depth review on the RAD... but i have time and topic references in the vid description so you can jump around and use your viewing time positively
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wINYWjk7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8YC8dxowh4
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-27-2011, 3:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've been battleing a superly sprained ankle this season
Here's a wild idea: Go to the hospital!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2011, 4:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the fabulous recommendation Brian. Yea, some people think I'm crazy, but they get over it. For the very limited time that we get to ride up here I'm just fine with takin ibuprofen and sucking it up.

Jeremy and Serge, thanks for the good info. Do the RADs break-in and get soft after a while, or do they keep their supportiveness?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
I have the Mareks, and whi,le slkipping them off and on while dry is easy, once they are wet they are a pain to do either. Love the system, think it makes edging so much better, but if I had a bad ankle and needed to get out of a boot easily I don't hink the marek would be a good fit. In the other hand you could just keep them on and sit around the boat
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
Chris - How are they as far as support/stiffness goes?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden a binding that has a better heel cup. It really sucks down on your heel and the addition of water seems to create suction, hence why getting out of them wet is a pain. They are pretty stiff back and forth in the binding, has some decent movement side to side. The system itself really changes how you ride though
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-27-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
I can tell you from experience that "taking ibprofen and sucking it up" is a really terrible idea, unless you just really want to have problems with that ankle forever!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-27-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
i'm aware of the potential outcomes.