Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-17-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hay guys i was just wondering if any of you guys trailer your boat around with an RV?? I know they did it at the beginning of Relentless but im not sure if it is advisable or not??? Looking to do some big road trips with the boat and would like to do it as part as one package, as apposed to towing the boat with a different truck!! What do you guys think???

thanks
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-17-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
We have done it for years and have no problems doing so. The only thing that's a pain in the rear is launching on some ramps but usually we can find somebody to give us a hand rather than tying up the ramp with the motor home.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-17-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
I've towed many times with a 26 ft motorhome, boat was a MC prostar and also a 23 ft. I/O.
No problems, but like Norco said be careful at some ramps (steep ones are tricky). We always knew what the ramps were like ahead of time, so that def helps.
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-17-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
We have been doing it for a few years also love it 28ft C class 04 VLX and 3 KIDS
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-17-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
We started with a slide in camper and got tired of the loading and unloading so we went with the Condo.
Tows perfect
Quick set up and still have a vehicle to drive around
easy launch + cheep boat gas at the off water station
More room
Only one motor (its my daily driver to)
Upload
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
I thought towing doubles in CA was illegal?
Old     (rob_c)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-17-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
It's legal in CA as long as it's a fith wheel and not a trailor.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2008, 10:46 PM Reply   
cool thanks. Seems way more practical. Especially once you get where your going
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-17-2008, 11:07 PM Reply   
That is a awsome set up. Is that truck a diesel or a gas, I dont see a duramax emblem on it?
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 3:20 AM Reply   
Ok so if i was going to get an RV what sort of engine should i be looking for?? Many of the European RVs have small 2.5 diesel engines but if i was to go with an american RV, they have the big 6 or 7 liter turbo diesel!! Also how many miles to you cover on a singel road trip?? Im looking to cover about 2000 miles, over 3 months!! what do you think???
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
We tow our boat with an RV. The thing you have to be looking for is what each RV can tow. Most, and I repeat most Class C motorhomes are only rated to pull 3500 lbs. This is based upon the tow hitch and the GCW rating. Most Class A motorhomes tow 5000lbs and up. This is also based on the tow hitch and the GCW. If it is a Diesel you can tow even more typically. Here is what you need to do
-Check the tow rating on the hitch. You will need 5000lbs or better if you are towing that Malibu in your profile
-Check the GW of the vehicle
-Check the GCW of the vehicle
(these will be listed on a sheet of paper in one of your cupboards or closets probably)
Take the GW of the vehicle + all of your people weight, water weight, fuel weight, supplies, etc = x weight.
-Subtract that weight from the GCW and that tells you what that motorhome can safely tow...

For example our motorhome weighs 14,000lbs and the GCW is 21,500.
I take the 14,000 + all the weight we have on board and lets say it is 2000 lbs. So I have to take 21,500 - 16,000 and that leaves me with 5,500 lbs. My hitch is rated for 5,000 lbs.

Hopefully this makes sense
Upload
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Duramax and Ally the only way to go.

You can build both to fit your needs with a lot of HP and strong TC

Here is the new truck - I cant wait for summer
Upload
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Ok all this is really helping and thanks to everybody!! final question, How difficult at they to drive when towing the boat?? I mean some of your set ups look HUGE!!!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
If you can tow your boat then its no problem to tow with a larger rig. Just take more time and be cautious because you have more weight to stop and control in an emergency situation.
I am right at 75' which is the legal limit in Calif. I can still see the guide poles on the boat and it tracks perfectly, I think because of the wheels being centered on both trailers it helps in having a better turning radius than an 18 wheeler. I upgraded my fuel tank to a 65 gallon size just to prevent having to pull into a small fuel station, stick to truck stops and your good.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
Bryan,
I think you took our buddy sam out on your boat with you. He probably told you about his second family up here in Portland that spoils him... Nice set up. Wish we could pull triples in Oregon.
Danny,
It is pretty easy. I can't even tell the boat is back there except for the back up cam. It tracks pretty well. You don't want to get locked into any small lots, but it is all pretty routine... takes a bit to learn, but it is nice. I can launch at most ramps too since our motorhome is 32'. The bigger the motorhome I could see that being an issue. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have a back up cam on the motorhome...
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Guys thanks so much you have been amazing!! Ha anybody else got any pictures of their set up??? i would love to see some more RVs towing their boats!!
Old     (175xt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
Mine
Upload
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Diggs yep Sam rode the wave

I am trying to get him to come out on Friday for another surf session.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-18-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
Bryan,
Take care of sosa. We are trying to teach him to be a responsible young adult. He is learning.... Sam told us about your trip to Shasta and we will not be able to make that, but we will be down in October for Havasu with boats in tow so might be interested in Perris or Shasta then.
Sam you watching?
Old     (millerda31)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-19-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
I have a Lance Max 981 camper with a slide out. I tow my MB B52V23 behind it with no problems. The truck is a Ford 7.3 diesel.

I did upgrade my wheels and tires to 19.5" F load range for their extra weight capacity. I also installed air bags and Rancho adjustable shocks.

My setup is heavy but I believe I have taken the appropriate measures and it does fine.

No pictures of the complete setup yet but you can see my camper and boat in my profile picture.

Good luck!