Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-31-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I've searched it and still not sure what to do. Just ordered an mtx amp along with 6 mtx 7.7's for the interior of my boat. I bought a clarion cmd4 from Grant on here a couple years ago and thought it's about time to install it. the boat is a 2007 centurion enzo. which tower speakers out there will fit the evolution tower the best?? My wife get's pi$$ed when I have the stereo too loud, so that's why I'm not sure if I want to put the coin into wetsounds or nvs speakers. are there some decent tower speakers out there that i won't bang my head on(evolution tower is quite low) and put out some decent sound? I thought about just getting a pair of pro 60's and be done with it. next issue is I leave my boat on the water and live about a 5 minute walk away. security is a big must. do all speaker setups have quick disconnect.

Like I said, I've done the research and am kind of leaning towards the wetsounds but hesitant on spending the coin. do I need another amp, and a 2nd battery. thanx for any input.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-31-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Ryan, We just got 4 of these. Check out the website.
http://www.exileaudio.com/marine/

Here are a few pics of our setup.
http://www.pdxwakesnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=139&start=30
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-31-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
Ryan - I love your quote!

Have you looked at the Bullet 7.7hlcd's? They are on sale right now and people say they hang out of the way compared to others (more head room).

Another amp is probably a must with any of the HLCD's as they all require a "real" 200 watts (each) at 4 ohms to really move.

At least that is what I've found, and I have been looking into doing this also.

Good luck with the search - and keep us posted.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-31-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
How 'bout the new Wet Sounds XST-650's or the SST-65's, Should be able to get the adaptors for that tower just like the Pro60's. Wet Sounds hopes to be shipping by mid Sept.

(Message edited by chpthril on August 31, 2009)
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-31-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
Ryan you are for sure going to need to run another amp with most tower speaker setups. All three options are great options. We went with the xm7's mostly because of the quick release option.
We also store the boat outside during most of the summer and I sleep better knowing that the speakers arent hanging from the tower.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
I'd recommend the Bullets HlCD too especially at their new sale price which is a steal but you'd need to throw some serious watts at them to get much. Even the 650's will take 150 watts to get em going. You can get some of their non HLCD's right now at special pricing that may suit your amp now. The hang height on them is awesome but they don't have quick disconnects. I will say its tough for thieves to get them off a tower as you have to take them apart to access the bolt that attaches to the tower. That combined with some black speaker sox and they'll blend right in with the tower.

TM's, recommendation is probably strong too but I know nothing of those other than Wetsounds is making them which says a lot.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-31-2009, 5:35 PM Reply   
Hate N Pain, where are the bullets on sale at?? I dont' have a problem purchasing another amp, just want to make sure i do it right. appreciate all the info so far.Upload

here's a pic of the boat
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-31-2009, 5:47 PM Reply   
That boat is pretty sick. I love the color selection. Nice choice.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
I'll second the Bullet Hollowpoints. They are by far the best sounding HLCD speaker I've ever heard.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 6:21 PM Reply   
Right here scroll down to where it says 650 BULLET HLCD SYSTEM for the 6 1/2" and 770 HP HLCD SYSTEM for the 7.7"
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-31-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
here is a crazy deal on the bullet 7.7 all black would look sick on that tower 40% off $540/pair!!!!!

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16401&cat=273&page=1
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-31-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
just had a little boo boo. measured where centurion places the speakers in the boat, and i dont' think the 7.7's are going to fit. typical buy first and measure after. is it worth putting the speakers down around where your feet are to stick with the 7.7's, or buddy who is installing them at his shop said he would swap me out for some kenwood 6.5's. I might not have a choice.lol

Hate N Pain and whiskey, should I just get the combo of a pair of speakers and the amp, or should I go for a couple sets of speakers. would one suffice?? thanx for your patience

also have a boat wrap being drawn up right now. had the naked look the last couple years and looking at a wrap(alot cheaper then buying a new boat) to spice it up.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-31-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
so is that amp that is recommended going to run 2 set's of the 770's?? wasn't going to spend any coin just yet, but with a deal like that it's hard to pass up. lay it on me, what do I need??
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-31-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
don't swap for the kenwoods...you want HLCD's

If 7.7's don't fit buy the 6.5's only $479 free shipping

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart/product.php?productid=16388&cat=273&page=1
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
In all this talk, someone should ask the obvious. Is he looking for car speakers to slam on his tower like most run of the mill people? Or is he looking for HLCD speakers to project out onto the water. They both have different sounds... Narrow it down and the options get very easy from that point.

peace

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
Ryan, Don't put them around your feet or any where in the boat they are way to loud and not designed for that application. These actually sound best a little back of the boat. How tall is your tower? The hang height on these is excellent. I'm 6'1" and mine don't come close to my head? You're looking at between 8-9" of hang probably closer to 8, less on the 650's. Where do speakers mount to that tower? I know Metcraft is the tower maker as they are the Illusion (Malibu) which mount more towards the side. I've seen these on Mali's and they are out of the way.

For an Amp look for Boston Acoustic GT-28 (Ebay, Soniceltronix, Woofers etc.) I use this amp and its what was recommended for them before BA changed their model line up. It'll show them 225x4 watts at 2 ohms.

you can but them for the same price at either the website I listed or earmark. You can check with Ben (soundbox) at Acme tops and tunes too. He took great care of me when I bought mine. http://www.acmetopsandtunes.com/
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-01-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
sorry, I should have verified. I bought the mtx 7.7's to put in the bow and cockpit area. I ordered the boat without a stereo system so I could install what I wanted. the UploadUpload
first pic is interior of my boat. 2nd pic is interior with speakers of a different boat. this is where they have 6.5's, and I bought 7.7's. I still want to get the bullets for the tower at that price.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-01-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
ryan,

Just a little application info. I believe that if you're running only one pair of tower speakers, like the WetSounds Pro60x or Bullet HollowPoint 770 HLCD, that you won't need the Centurion Evolution extending mounting brackets. These definitely come into play for two pair to a.) provide clearance and b.) to correct for the different mounting angles of the interior and exterior speakers so both hang at the indentical angle. In the case of two pair of the HollowPoint 650s, whether coaxials or HLCDs, only one set of simple polymer wedges are required to correct the angle. The pods clear all obstacles in any case and they fit very snugly against the arch with only around 7 1/4 inch hang height.

David
Earmark Marine

(Message edited by David_e_m on September 01, 2009)
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-02-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
think I am going with the bullet's. almost get 2 sets for the price of one.

I read on another post that it's important to have a 2nd battery to run the stereo through so you don't get engine noise. is this better. I only have one battery at the moment.