Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

I know the title is pretty vague, and ive done some research aswell but i always like to hear the trustworthy opinions this great community usually has to offer.

The reason I ask (and this coming from a guy who was a hair away from signing for a brand new V RIDE this summer) was because a local one came up at almost too good of a deal to pass, under $5000 CDN that is.

Now why would i go from a brand new V RIDE to a junky old supra?? well because even though having several boats and seadoo's in my family my whole life, and driving and launching etc i've never had my OWN, and i didnt think it would hurt to have a nice inexspensive boat as a learning experience for maybe a summer or two (unless its a lemon i wouldn't be suprised if i couldn't sell it for what I paid for it.)

The owner is a boat wholesaler and moves boats fairly quickly, he says its runs and shifts great and has a trailer and mooring cover.

the bad, he said there is wood/fiberglass around the engine cover that is either cracked or rotten?? not exactly sure, but ensures the floors are hard and the interior is actually pretty nice for an 86. the glass on the HOUR gauge is broken so he has not answer for exact hours on it, and the back corner is kinda dented like someone dropped something on it, but its well above the waterline and besides looking kinda ugly shouldnt be any harm

thanks for taking the time to read all my rambling, and hope someone will have some good input for me.

thanks again

Chase
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
low freeboard, so they get tricky to drive with weight. i've always liked the lines of them, something about the sloped bow that looks good. can't comment on the wake, but I'm sure it could work with weight. not sure if they're drivable loaded or not.

so is that like $5000 US basically?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Basically, maybe a few hundred bucks more tops.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I feel the same about the look, the sloped bow does look pretty sharp on the boat and the cockpit it pretty decent as well.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-17-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
well, if he floors really are good then that's a good deal for a '86.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
here is some pics
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 8:25 AM Reply   
pics are too large, here is link to the damage pic and a few others

http://northernboatwholesalers.com/images/boats/58/p7.JPG
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
You have to remember this is a SKi boat going from a V-ride wake to a ski boat is two different beast. Even with a ton of weight the factory ballast on the V-ride will blow it away! I'm saying this from experience 80s ski boats were designed to ski. The only exception seems to be the nautique 2001, so if you are hardcore into boarding I would pass.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
ah i see, i thought this would hopefully throw something in or around what a Naughty 2001 would, im not hardcore im just a heelside hero and working on 180's and what not, so having it huge is not a big concern.

but again, i wouldnt be buying this for any comparison to the V RIDE, just more of a learning experience boat before i sign myself up for 50k boat. :-)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Very low free board. If you spend any time just hangin out with the tunes up, you will spend a lot of time watching all around you for rogue waves about to swamp you, especially with any weight (passengers) on board.

I went from a MC 205 to a Vride. The Malibu has MUCH higher sides, which makes it a LOT easier on me as the driver. I didn't really notice it at the time, but I spent a lot of time making sure I wasn't about to be swamped in the 205.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-17-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
Our 88 Comp works fine for us... Plus you will learn how to load the line & not rely on the wake to get air...
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
I think the Supra is even more prone to taking water over the nose due to the lines of the boat. They look good just not very functional just like the late 2000 centurions.
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-17-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Are guys in the ocean or something......taking water over the bow of a Supra Comp??? I've been in many comps over the years and I wouldn't be worried about water over the bow....or the stern unless you just had it loaded to within a few inches of the rub rail. The old comps were in my opinion the best boats back in their day. You should be fine.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
did anyone get a chance to look at the damage in the link, any opinions?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-17-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
It looks ok for 5k. Its had a bit of a knock at the rear but it wouldn't worry me. The rest of the boat looks clean enough.

As has been said the wake on the comp isn't great but its perfectly usueable and a good into into boat owning. The supra has a few extra storage and features that weren't avalable on nautiques and mastercrafts from the same year.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Chase - The Comp is Supra's best ski boat and the least wake-oriented. It will throw a big wake with about 1500lbs in it, but it'll be nothing on the vRide. I just got my first inboard a 87 Supra SunSport and it's a totally different boat. Deep v and ready to wake. I haven't had any issues with moving from I/O to inboard yet.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
id be lookin for a 2001 if i were you. then you can load it up and beat half the v drives out there with stock or you can keep it small and still perfectly shaped until you are ready for the a bigger wake. thats whats cool about the 2001, it has a perfect wake no matter how much weight, and you can tailor it to what you want
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-18-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
i just sold my 92 comp. It was my first boat and was good for that. Overall it was to small, needed to be almost sunk for any wake. Also i payed 6200. so 5k seems a little high.