Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sundoo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-15-2008, 11:11 PM Reply   
HI guys. Just bought an 07 VLX and I am busy accessorising. I am going to splice a rope an knot it slightly, but not sure of a good length. Also anyone's opinion on a extra sac. I am thinking just to get a 750 fly high for the rear locker and be done with, or do you think that's overboard. Big waves are alot of fun;)
Thanks and cheers!

Dave
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-16-2008, 5:01 AM Reply   
What kind of factory ballast does your boat have? You will most likely need more than that 750 in ballast for surfing . You'll want to have some bow weight, as well as the port or starboard side and the rear port or starboard corner. Play with it and see, it may take a few sessions to get it all dialed in. There are at least one or two guys in here riding the newer VLX's, hopefully they can give you some advice as far as ballast setups.

A rope around 20 feet in length would be ideal, but I would go out and test first. Once you get you wake dialed, then you can know the rope size you are looking for. Its always nice to have something that you can shorten or lengthen up if you have to.

Have fun!
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-16-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
hey sundoo,
I have a 07 vlx and if you like big waves your going to need big ballast baggs. what is your current setup and how big is your normal crew? lets start with that and then i can give you some weight`s. I personaly run well over 3k in ballast.20` rope length is good just attach it to your ski pylon not the tower. the people in the boat will thank you.Upload
Old     (rb23lsv)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-16-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
I think you're going to need a lot more than a 750 bag in the rear. On my 23LSV I plumbed in a Pro X bag, played around with stock ballast/wedge and was embarrassed with the lame surf wake I had. I bought a pair of 580lb Launch Pad bags so I put one on the side seat and one up front on the side. The difference is unbelievable! I now have the surf wake I've always wanted but I'm still getting used to the way all that weight on one side makes the boat handle. I would rather not have bags on my seats and have to mess around filling and emptying, but if you want a real surf wake it's something that you have to put up with. Your VLX might not require quite as much weight as my LSV, but I can't imagine there would be too much difference. I also upgraded to an Acme 1235 prop which helps compensate for all that ballast. You also have the fortune of the power wedge so you can tweak your wake even more once you throw some more weight in.
Old     (sundoo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys. I have 250lb hard tanks in rear plus 500# center and 250 bow. Usually have 3-5 adults and 3 kids under ten. I ordered the 750 to get me thru the holiday that is quickly approaching. Hopefully I will make do with it.

Dave
Old     (sundoo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Hey Who cares......that wake is awesome....the kids would be terrified

Dave
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-16-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
funny you say that. that pic is from last year and since then I have added another K in ballast. wanna talk about scaring people tube twenty feet off my bow and wait a half hour I`ll scare the @#% out ya. or at least the wave headed for you will..lol

(Message edited by liljohn on June 16, 2008)
Old     (shoe4hire)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
I just bought a 05 LSV and am having a hard time with the suf wake also. I am currently using a 500 pound bag in the rear locker and front and middle tank empty. Also the wedge is down. What do I need to change? I normally do not ride with a big crew.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
I rode behind an LSV with 3,000 pounds of ballast. Pretty good wake.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
travis run the center and front tank full run the wedge all the way down and put your bag in the locker. i would have to say your going to need more weight the lsv is a 3k in ballast boat minimum. id grab a 75o fo thr locker and 2 more 500 bags to for the surf side seats and one for the bow.
Old     (whistler)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-08-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
I have an LSV, 750lbs of ballast in one rear locker, 500lbs in the front locker and ~ 350lbs of crew in the corner and the wedge about 3/4 down throws a nice wake.