Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (wakeboardchamp43)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-02-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
I know most of this process is proprietary for each company, but for the basics of creating a wakeboard, does anybody know the process? I am asking this because I would like to make one at my school and I am looking for different manufacturing methods.

From watching "The Truth" I get how it is pressed (most likely hot pressed) layer by layer and then a CNC machine or like a 3-5 axis router shapes the edges.

I am thinking of making a mold by rapid prototyping it from a CAD file and then using that to do a resin transfer process or maybe even using pre-preg and putting it into an autoclave or a oven. But I guess it depends on what material it is made out of.

What do you guys think?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-02-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
If boeing would allow I would imagine they have some really large injecetion molders... if you could get the molds cut, I'm sure you could just injection mold a board, if you had it where the core was like a honeycomb/cross section of supports it would prob. flex and be really light, and durrable... I have been thinking about trying to get my school to let me run with it... injection molded boards would be cheap, tough, lite, and flexy
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-02-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Keebler Elves make em, in between making cookies.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-03-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
you should send it in to "how its made" they did an episode on how snowboards are made, pretty cool

kal
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       12-03-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
Check out this video on the new CWB site. Click on the video "Made in USA". It shows you how CWB's are made. Its a cool little video.

http://www.cwbwakeboards.com/?mod=video

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on December 03, 2007)
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
shameless plug?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-03-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Just making an injection mold is not going to happen, That’s like a half a million dollar mold, if you do it right. If you wanted to Insert injection an insert such as honeycomb has a slew of problems also. It would be hard but a flex pattern could be formed into a board via injection molding but the flow pattern wouldn't allow the flex pattern to work properly.

If I had a rapid proto-typer I would make a vacuum mold and do it that way.

Buying one is way cheaper, If you want to try your own shape find an old board that is not very dynamic and add what you want to the bottom, make sure you don't use a lot of catalyst with whatever material you decide to use so it stays flexible.
al
Old     (jcstudebaker)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-03-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
See, when a mommy wakeboard and a daddy wakeboard love eachother.....
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-03-2007, 3:34 PM Reply   
BG-

Post a video of how boards are broken!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-03-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Doug he just looks at them and they break. BG is a HARD CORE wakeboarder. Unless he has been drinking Morgan then he is a Teddy Bear.

(Message edited by twakess on December 03, 2007)
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       12-03-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHA Doug and Squid, I have no idea what you guys are talking about!! I have never seen a broken board in my life!

Ohio, You better watch yourself!! Coming on here talking all this mess! I know were you live!
Old     (tpj)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-03-2007, 5:49 PM Reply   
type it in on youtube...there was something i saw a while back in the cwb factory
Old     (shaggystud06)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-04-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
you can make a wakeskate http://www.wakeskating.com/showarticle.php?a=6
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
They are made with sugar and spice and everything nice.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
watch the truth.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
your an engineer. you probably have a better idea of how to make it than most people on these boards. wakeboard companies make hundreds of boards, modeling their manufacturing process probably isnt gonna be the best way for you to produce one or two boards. there isnt a right way. dont be afraid to do something different.
Old     (wakeboardchamp43)      Join Date: Nov 2007       12-04-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
What if I said I had access to a rapid prototyper and all of the vacuum bagging materials available. I also have access to a autoclave. I want to know about the basics becaquse through my school I have access to alot of cool things that have probably never been used for making wakeboards.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-04-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
Given what you have, the best process would be a PVC foam blank, milled to design spec. Cover with pre-preg carbon and bake. High speed router the edges and seal with resin. The edges will be very sharp, so use several layers. You can also use fiberglass and vacuum bag, but the finish will be lacking due to folds in the plastic. The CF board will be very light and very stiff, so a 3-stage would be the best play. An old Blindside Blade (Wolf) model would be my first choice for a stiff board.
Old     (tpj)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-04-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
heres one that students at michigan tech made...don't know if this is what youre looking for but, http://www.enterprise.mtu.edu/boardsports/Wake%20Team/Wake%20Team.htm
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       12-04-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
could i make something like a roam out of what austin said about the wakeskate? how would i make binding holes?