Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-08-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
Who likes what helmet?
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-08-2003, 2:39 PM Reply   
i wore one of those damn protec helmets to prevent another blown eardrum, did it help? HELL NO. still blew it up. So i tossed the helmet and save it for non moving obstacles.

Does it prevent concusions, i dunno, i've crashed pretty damn hard with them on and off, and sure i may feel a little dazed, but i'm always ready to ride when the boat pics me back up.

i use those docs pro plugs now, 8 bucks, and they are worth every penny.

unf unf.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-09-2003, 1:26 PM Reply   
I use docs also.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            11-10-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
Do the plugs ever get knowcked out of your ears when you crash? Where do you get them?
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-10-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
I also am joining this convo late I want to start wearing a helmet cuz last weekend my board flew off my feet on a w2w attempt when i didnt clear it and i crashed pretty hard and the board came up behind me and tapped me in the back of the head! just wondered what type/brand I should invest in..I just told my husband yesterday that I want one for christmas. My skill level is w2w's and practicing my ts air 180's. which helmet will be best for me? I don't mind paying more so i wont get too much 'bucketing' so any input would be greatly appreciated. also, i have a very tiny girl head!

Peter, how exactly did that happen? what kind of wreck? that is quite a gash!
Old    jetgofish            11-10-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
I ride the Pro-Tec Shapiro Helmet and love it. I've not experienced any bucketing when worn properly (adjusted snug against the chin). I'm sure every one has preference, I however love the Pro-Tec Shapiro and found the fit the best. I too have a small head!!! I fitted several helmets prior to the Pro-Tec purchase and found that the others were too loose! Matter of fact my snowboard helmet is a youth and my wakeboard helmet is a small with all the pads adjusted into the helmet! That's how small my head is! Any how I've found the Shapiro to be a good helmet and have had no problems. As I said I had a hard time getting other helmets to fit! Good luck. My suggestion Angi, go try them on, buy what works best for you!!!
Old    jakeman            11-10-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
I know nothing bout helmets
do they make ones that cover the ears?
Old    jetgofish            11-10-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Pro-Tec's helmets has removable ear protectors. I have yet to wear mine, but plan on putting them on when attempting 3's!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-10-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
"do they make ones that cover the ears?"

YES & NO - Some helmets come with ear flaps, some don't. The ear flap is just a piece of material that attaches to the straps.

Old    stormrider            11-10-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
Tip on the protecs: the earflaps snap on with metal snaps and come off pretty easy. Lost one set already. Kristain Coltman gave me his. I glued them on. I think we used JB Weld!

(Message edited by stormrider on November 10, 2003)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            11-10-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Steve - I have the video of T's crash and am trying to upload it now. Just haveing probs with wakepics right now.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-10-2003, 11:02 AM Reply   
THanks Teri..(yeah, my snowboard jacket and pants are youth sizes too!!)

I'll go to Watersports west and see what fits best! so, pro-tec and gath..I'll do some research on them both!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-10-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
jim - proplugs can be found at numerous surf/ski shops. you can find a distributor on their site:

http://www.proplugs.com/

now that im back riding i intend to get a pair also. i've only heard good things about them and as i already have a helmet that doesnt have ear flaps it seems the best way to go.

lizrd brings up so good points. with the rise of helmets available for biking, snow, skate and now wake, i had also wondered about testing, standards, re-use, etc. and not least about design (are these just models imported from snow or has someone done some research into what works best for crashing in liquid?).

what surprises me is the lack of response from the one area that i know of that might give us the benefit of experience - skiing. i know there are skiers here - especially speed skiers and ski-jumpers. those folks must take high-speed, high-impact crashes when they fall, and they all wear helmets (at least in comps), and those sports have been around for much longer. why isn't there already tons of at least experiential data on this subject? why aren't the ski helmet folks targeting the wakeboarding market? or perhaps they are? im not familiar with the market history - has protec been around for awhile? they do seem to make a varitey of helmets...

Old    wakeboard_iraq            11-10-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Thanks - looking at the web page now
Old     (jsan)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-10-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
I just picked up the Pro-Tec Shapiro. I've only used it once and at first didn't have it snugged up enough, so it was 'bucketing' a little. Snugged it up after that and didn't have any problems, even on the faceplants. It's comfortable, all black (blends in for a little less dork factor), and doesn't weigh too much. Overall, I'm really happy with it.
Old    wakejunkeygirl            11-10-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
Kool, thanks Jason, I actually just looked at that one on the Pro-Tec website. *the Shapiro*
good to know to keep them 'snug'

I am not worried about the 'dork factor' I look at it like this: At least I am out there trying that is more than I can say for most girls!!

Next step, I'll go try them on for size at the board shop! Thanks for everyones input.
Old    norcal_99            11-10-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
I always wear a helmet on my motocross bike, and I thought about buying one for snowboarding. I do not wear one while wakeboarding or wakeskating.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-10-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
I am the poster child for helmets:
Lacrosse helmet
Moutain Bike helmet
2 different wakeboard/skyski helmets (Protec and Capix)
Snowboard helmet
3 motorcycle helmets (2 good ones and 1 bad one that reminds me why I wear the good ones)
Old    psychon            11-11-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
Forwarded message: I got this from the other Y!group. Thought that every rider should learn from this...

REMEMBERING RYAN

On October 27, 2003, family, friends, the wakeboarding community,
and the world lost a great human being; Ryan Shreve died at the
young age of 24. Ryan was one of wakeboarding's "up and coming"
riders. He was a Nor-Cal outlaw, and one of the "local pros." Ryan
was not only an outstanding rider; he was a wonderful person, full
of energy, who loved life, family, and friends. Ryan touched
everyone's life he came in contact with. Ryan made everyone smile
and laugh. He was always the center of attention, and people just
wanted to be around him.

Ryan was an outstanding athlete. He was a near pro wakeboarder, rock
climber, and expert skier. Ryan ripped up Lake Folsom, Fallen Leaf
Lake, and his hometown lake, Lake Tahoe. He just started riding for
Malibu Boats and was sponsored by Surf n Skate.

When Ryan was not riding, he was a firefighter/medic. He loved to
save lives and fight fire.

One of Ryan's biggest passions was wakeboarding. A passion that
ultimately took his life. This summer he suffered a series of
multiple concussions and major head injury in a short amount of
time, all while wakeboarding. The last while coming up short on a
Whirlybird. That was October 2, 2003. This injury put Ryan in a
coma. He remained in this state, battling for his life for 25 days.

One of my last conversations with Ryan included talk about wearing a
helmet. I asked Ryan if he was wearing a helmet or if he planned to.
He replied, "NO." That decision may have taken his life; who knows.
Wearing a helmet may or may not have prevented his head injuries.
All we can do is wonder.

While Ryan's family and friends mourn the loss of such a wonderful
person, I ask our fellow wakeboarders; think about, consider, and
even start wearing a helmet when you ride. You may prevent another
tragedy and unnecessary sorrow.

In memory of Ryan Shreve:

Ride hard
Go big, but know when to go home
And wear your helmet.

Thanks,
Kyle Anton

Ryan Shreve