Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-09-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
I was just checking on nada prices on a SANTE that I was interested at Buxton Marine. They are asking 43K for a 2002 that is pretty much loaded out. It seems like a lot, but most people are asking that much for a 4yr old sante.

I ckecked NADA on that boat, and with Team Edition selected with 330hp motor, it was coming in at 33K. I did add in all the stuff like tower and speakers and bimini, etc and it came out to 39K.

My question is.....does the NADA value include the extras included in the Team Edition or Super Air for that matter? Do they realize that a tower is included on the boat, or do they expect you to check all the boxes for the applicable options?

If they already take into account all those options, is Buxton smoking some good crack or what? I know that sellers will try to sell what market value is, but most lenders will look at NADA for loan values.

Cheers!
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
43k for a 2002 sounds wacked to me

just my $.02
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
It does sound high to me as well, and I have an 02.

Dealerships tend to have higher priced used boats. We got an 02 in 18 months ago for 42 with 110 hrs on it, team edition, from a private party. Most dealerships take a fairly big consignment fee.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Brandon- did that 39k include the trailer, sometimes the listed price is for boat only, trailer is extra.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-09-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
nautiques are really expensive in texas (even more so than elsewhere) for some reason. when i was shopping last summer, '03's were going for $47k-$49k
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-09-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
You also have to enter the trailer separately on NADA, usually another 3k. And a dealer is generaly going to be higher than a private party seller.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-09-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
I didn't add the trailer into the cost, however, I did add a tower, ballast, etc, to arrive at the cost. I would of figured since they had separate links to select a standard 210, super air, and team edition, that, by selecting TE, it would of included all that. If it does include it, it looks like a 02 sante should bring about 36K average retail with trailer.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
"We got an 02 in 18 months ago for 42 with 110 hrs on it"

I shopped pretty hard for my boat for over a year. There is a price fluxuation from spring to fall. May-June-July, boats were drawing above NADA, and selling fast. Midway through Aug and on, they were drawing below NADA.

His example would put you into mid fall, and some account should be taken for the season.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
I bought a used 02 X-Star from Buxton last June loaded with every option on it with 330 hours for $32,500. The NADA at the time on that boat was somewhere around $42,000. They pretty much left the price up to the guy they were selling it for. It may be whoever they are selling it for that is demanding such a high price. Just talk to them - they will shoot you straight. I don't regularly deal with them because I am from Memphis. I just drove out there to get the boat from them because I thought it was such a good deal. They were a pleasure to do business with, and I have heard nothing but good things about their business and service. If you buy from them, I am sure they will take care of you in every way they can.
Old     (txmotorcop)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-09-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Man, check all over the internet. I got lucky and found a 2004 Super Air 210 with 77 hours, loaded, for 39,500. But I have to get it shipped to me. I got it off ebay.
Old     (boats4every1)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
NADA on line give you low and average retail. The trailers do have to be added seperate. If you look at the NADA book it give you Average and High retail and you still have to add the trailer seperate. SO if you figure that the 39K you were coming up with for just the boat is probably a correct average. The question is what condition is the boat worthy of. Low, Average, or High?
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-09-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
The 39K figure was arrive at by selecting the TE one and then also checking tower, racks, ballast, etc. I would think that these would already be taken into account by selecting super air or team edition. If unselected, then the NADA is 33K + 3K = 36K

I actually answered part of my question. I looked back at NADA and it says that the price includes FCT and LCS.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-09-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
You can always negotiate, can't you?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
How many hrs are on the boat? 42K is way to high on an '02. You will be upside down in no time IMO.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
It has under 300hrs. And yeah, the art of negotiation is my forte, I just like to know what the thing is worth to be able to bargain down to.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   

Here is the NADA. High retail is 35K. I would work off of that.

Used Trade-In Average Retail High Retail
Base Price

$29,140 $34,280 $40,110
Reported Engine Range: 301 - 350 HP (5.7L - 8.1L )
Total adjustment for your engine(s) - Deduct: $4,850

TOTAL PRICE $24,290 $29,430 $35,260

Notes
VALUES INCLUDE SOME MANUFACTURER'S SPECIAL OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT. (*)INCLUDES THE VALUE OF A SINGLE AXLE TRAILER. (**)INCLUDES THE VALUE OF THE FLIGHT CONTROL TOWER, EXTENDED PYLON AND LCS. (***)INCLUDES THE VALUE OF THE FLIGHT CONTROL TOWER. (****)INCLUDES THE VALUE OF THE OF THE FLIGHT CONTROL TOWER AND LCS.

(Message edited by psudy on May 10, 2006)
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
I think you're putting too much stock into the NADA numbers, man. Just decide for yourself the max you're willing to pay, start a few thousand under that, and see where you get.

You know what they say, "it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". That applies to boats, houses, cars, and just about everything negotiable, imho.
Old    bocephus            05-10-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
SeaDawg,
You forgot something in your statement, the word CASH! I'm an appraiser and the house is not worth what someone is willing to pay for it, it's worth what someone is willing to pay CASH for it.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-10-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Bocephus, why do I care if you pay me cash for my house or you take out a mortgage on it? I still get my money right?

Honest question, I've never sold a house.
Old    bocephus            05-10-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
A buyer's mindset changes drastically if he pays a lump sum up front with cash or if a lender pays and he makes payments. You will rarely see someone paying for an overpriced house with cash and you see it all the time with someone who is paying with a loan.

The seller still gets the same amount of money for the house.

When doing an appraisal the comparable that sold as a cash sale is almost always considered better indicator of market value over a financed transaction.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
"it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it"

Or what the bank will loan you for it. If he is financing the boat, a bank is not going to go into the deal upside down.
Old    bocephus            05-10-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Depends on your credit whether a bank will go into a deal upside down. My bank will easily loan me enough to be upside down in any boat.
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-10-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
"it's worth what someone is willing to pay CASH for it." - Bocephus

Nitpicker!

Yes, I agree that dealing in cash will often get you different results, but my point is still valid. A boat isn't worth what NADA says it is, it's worth what the market (read: the buyer) is willing to pay.

And a bank will absolutely go into a deal upside down if you've got the credit to back it up. A lot of new boat, and new car purchases - the ones with very little down money - are upside down when you drive off the lot!
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
never pay more than nada, at nada you will be upside down in no time, the reason so many are overpriced is b/c that is what people owe on the boat when 3 yrs in on a 15 yr loan, that does not indicate what these boats are worth don't eat another guys debt
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-10-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
We are not talking about new car values. We are talking about someone asking 7k over what something is worth because they think they should get it, or thats what they owe on it. I would make the loan, because I wouldn't want my customer to get screwed.
Old     (bmh2208)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Well, the boat we were interested in was sold on Monday. So, we are looking at a brand new '05. It is a '05 TE and they are wanting 50K for it. Not a bad deal since the bank is willing to do 20 years for it and the payments will be about what a older one is at 15.
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
paul how are you helping someone not get screwed by giving them a loan on a boat that is overpriced, or do you mean screwing yourself b/c you lost out on the money from the loan
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-10-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
does nada include the trailer in the price?
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-10-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
No it does not take into account trailer or hours from what I can tell. But the site is telling me that my dealer sold me my boat at 4-5k below average retail. ?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Dude, I own a 2002 SAN (granted it's not a TE), but if they're worth $43k, I've made money on my boat that I bought in '03. I would keep on looking...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Read my post above. Quote includes Trailer, tower and Lcs(whatever that is).

Supra4me, It was a typo. I was trying to say, I wouldn't give them the loan. I should state that if it was a REALLY GOOD customer, and he knew he was paying to much and still wanted it, I would consider it, but usually those people are the ones doing the screwing instead of receiving it.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-11-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Some NADA values include trailers, some don't. If it does, it will say "Price includes a single axle trailer" or something like that. If it doesn't say it, it isn't included. I personally would never pay more than NADA for a car or a boat. I usually try to pay less than the NADA low value regardless of the condition. What some idiot is willing to pay for something has no bearing on what it is worth or what I will pay for it. And I am NOT calling anyone here an idiot!

Jman
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
^+1
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
paul i thought maybe it was a typo, i agree
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-11-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
IS YOUR DEALER THE ONE THAT DID THIS?

Upload