Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            08-10-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Did anyone else get this email? Interesting concept for folks that are injured and still want to stay on the water.

3CORECAMP.COM - Sacramento's Best WaterSports Instruction
A few years back I cracked my tibia wakeboarding. This happened in May, not a good time to be injured. I had to take a week off, and I realized I wasn't going to be landing any monster airs for a while. I always thought wakesurfing was boring, I was way off.

For the next 4-5 months I couldn't stay off the wakesurfer. I rode it close to the boat, I rode it on a full line length, slow speeds, fast speeds. It helped me learn fundamentals that I had skipped over in my rush to be a "flipper".

If you know anyone who has been recently injured give them my contact info, and I can help them enjoy watersports on a whole new level. Since my injury I've prescribed the wakesurfer to many clients and friends. They all progressed their riding, and were happy to still be in the action.

http://3corecamp.tripod.com/
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-11-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
I fractured my ankle early this year. Probably won't wakeboard until September and then I'll take it easy. I got back to wakesurfing about a month after the accident. My Orthopedist told me not to do it but he did send me to physical therapy.

The physical therapists that I saw had me do the following exercises: flex and rotate my ankles, pump up and down on my tip toes, walk side ways – both ways, pull a spring in four positions N, S, E and W, stand on a balance board, stand on an incline, balance on one foot and balance on one foot with eyes closed.

I think surfing is very similar to all of these exercises. I also don’t think my orthopedist understands what wakesurfing is.

The good news is I’m almost back to 100%, the bad news is I’ve lost my wakesurfing progress from the beginning of the year, I have to get my legs back.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
Well, I just surfed again after tearing my MCL. I'm in a custom knee brace. However, the 6 weeks that I've not been able to surf (ocean or wake) left me a little bummed. I did find something to keep me busy other than work and resting / rehabbing my knee. I found two Clark blanks that I had bought in the early 90's at my moms house. I had shaped a few boards back in the early 90's and had forgotten about those blanks. Anyway, I've shaped one so far. It started out as a 6'4 and is now a 5'2. I took it off of a 7'2 McCoy Nugget. I've yet to glass it. The heat is unbelievable right now down here. The heat index is up around 105 with 95% humidity. I'm making a fin for it. However, I am going to experiment with the fin a little. I made one template of the fin which I did laminate last night. Here are a couple of pics. The tail is a bit off. I will fix that before I glass it.Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-12-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Very nice job of therapy.
Old     (mhetheridge)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Thanks. Either it's gonna go good or it's going to be a dog. I bought this little 5'0 fish for my son and it stinks wakesurfing. It has no drive. It's got 4 channels and a ton of tail rocker. So this board I'm making has about an inch of tail rocker. I left the tail fat because my McCoy Nugget has a fat tail that just sticks in the wave. Your back foot has to be over the tail too. I'm making a fin out of 1/8 inch plywood for it. It's not very tall but it is 13 inches long.