Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Will a VLX have a narrower wake than a LSV because I'm kind of getting sick of it being so wide and not allowing me to move me rope out longer?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-06-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
You don't need a new boat you need better form. I can clear the wake at 80' and I suck.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-06-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
A little bit, where I really notice the difference is when I ride the 247.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
edge harder, pop bigger..
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
thanks
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Does the width of the wake have to do with the beam of a boat or length or hull shape?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
More beam and hull shape than length. But I'm sure length does play a small factor, since we're only talking about 1.5'.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-09-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Another thing that might help is to stop using the Wedge, your going to want more ballast obviously but in my experience those boats with the Wedge and full ballast need weight up front. Pull up the Wedge, put 400's on either side of the engine and a big 600 in the nose. Might narrow it out a bit.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone and the extra ballast thing my dad is totally against it. Does anybody have any good ways of my dad changing his mind? Yea bigheavy i have also noticed that it needs extra weight upfront with the wedge so last weekend i told my mom and sister to sit up there and the wake was sweet. It was more rampy than usual and easier to edge into. If i can't get my dad to change his mind about the extraballast thing then when i go with just my family ill put the wedge down and tell people to sit up front and when we have 10-14 people on the boat ill keep the wedge up
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-09-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
If you can't clear the wake, you don't need to be adding ballast. Last week we took out the hard tanks in my friends 03 VLX and replaced them with 750lb. sacks we then went boarding without the wedge and the wake was HUGE...however, I wouldn't say that the added ballast made it easier to clear the wake. Adding ballast will change the shape and size, but if you can't clear it with stock ballast (or even unloaded) then you really need to be working on your form instead of sacking it out. What year LSV and what ballast do you currently have?

I notice in your profile that you only weigh 100lbs. Maybe (and I am not meaning to be rude) but you just need to grow a bit and get a little stronger. Once you have the strength down, you should be able to cut harder, ride faster, get bigger air, etc... and then maybe clearing the wake won't be an issue???
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
I can clear the wake. I just run stock ballast and wedge. I have tried it with just stock and no wedge before also and i've been able to clear the wake. I'm just trying to move the rope out longer so I can be in the air longer. Yes right now I'm on protein shakes and am working out every other day( 2 days at SPARQ/velocity if you know what that is and 1 day at home benching and doing lots of upper body work and 1 day at home doing lower body lifting)
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
i have a v ride i run stock ballast the wedge and 3 750lb sacks we run our 320 indmar at 3100rpm i used to ride with stock ballast and wedge and it would do 2900rpm so if your dads worried about the fuel it doesnt cost much more to run you can ride out at 85 feet and still clear the wake but i ride at 75 and a bit slower this way the wake is bigger and you go up not across

(Message edited by nathan_from_downunder on June 09, 2007)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
hes worried about losing seating and storage
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
There is really no way to get more ballast without sacraficing a little bit.
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
do you go riding and take your boat out for a whole day with mates or do you ride with 3 people in the boat for a hours set then go home
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
I ride both. Weekends we go full days and on weekdays sometimes well go 3 hours or so.
Old     (nathan_from_downunder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
we just put up with it for the size wake it throws out when you get up to advanced tricks most of the time you need the bigger wakes to progress quicker
Old    shawn_madison            06-10-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
Well, both are great boats-vlx if you want respect and not to ever look back.