Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (wakeless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Whats the word on these boards?
Anyone get out on the flats and feel the flex?
Or is it more of a marketing thing?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
i ride one and love it, it lands in the flats really nice, you can really feel the flex working, it's not a marketing thing at all! the board works! best board ive ever ridden!
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-21-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
sling shot rep ????
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-21-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
Ride one and you will know, I have both the Response and Recoil boards and you don't know what soft landings are until you case a wake or go flat on one of these boards.

Tell your local dealer you want a demo, if they don't carry it....tell them they should!

The bindings need some TLC for "ease of use" but once they straighten that out you are witnessing the future of wakeboarding as we know it.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-21-2007, 6:47 PM Reply   
i think i'm gonna get one as my next board, but i'm gonna demo it first for sure... what do you mean by TLC midwest? i hear they are hard to put on but after huring my ankle because of the lack of support i think those bindings will be perfect
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
Here is my FULL and IN DEPTH review (LINK AT BOTTOM)

The bindings are quite different than any other company. there are three sets of laces. There is one for the ankle and one for the toes and then there is an INTERIOR lace that holds the ankle and heel EXTREMELY well. Most likely you will be frustrated with the bindings at first, but after a few sets i think you will get used to them and even begin to LOVE them. make sure you loosen all the laces all the way and getting in and out will be a cake walk. watch out for the hiking-boot lace teeth on the highest lace loop. pull the laces vertically to get the laces out of the teeth. if you pull the laces latterly the lace will get tighter in the teeth-> great for tightening, but not loosening if you get my point (you will when you see the boot)
since you are looking for support, I am sure you'll cinch all three laces up, but for those looking for looser fits; they can selectively tighten/ modify one or more of the 3 laces. slingshot boots are like 3 or more boots in one and very customizable

OH and make sure the lace pulls are pushed ALL THE WAY down on the exterior cuff of the boot on the sides when you're laced and ready to go, otherwise they might come off. (apparently there's going to be some R&D in this for next year i hear... but when ever is there not any R&D going on in any company?)
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/457454.html?1181955081
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
DEMO BOTH THE RESPONSE AND THE RECOIL... even if you think you already know whether your a continuous or three stage person!!!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
Midwest Wakeboarder- where is your review... i think you said yours was "comming soon" even though i've finally ridden one myself, i'd love to read the comments,... even if they were in depth and LLLOOONNNGGG as mine :-)
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
the boots are solid, they are a little stiff for me and i don't like that i crash really hard and still stay in them! the boots are a little work but the board is well worth it!

check out www.activewake.com they have slingshot stuff and offer free shipping
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 11:23 PM Reply   
Jeremy has the most complete and accurate details as far as these boards go. There is no gimmick here, they are everything they claim. Huge pop, soft landings, bindings are stiff at first but get broken in quite nicely. If you want to be able to come out of them, you can rip the outside tongue off and not tighten the inside laces as much. I suspect improvements will be made for next year, but these set-ups are sick.
Old     (wakeless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
I found a demo center in orlando, place called ski world. I am going this weekend to check one out. Thanks for the info.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
What are the pros saying about the board are people ready to start jumping ship? Do they even sponsor anyone yet?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-22-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
At the moment they have Collin Wright and Jeff McKee on board. I have ridden the recoil so far and it is a great board with good pop and soft landings as advertised. It is super fun to lip slide and press too. Get on one if you have a chance.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-22-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Is Collin Wright the guy that is on pull all time? I think he was on it last saturday.
Old     (slowake)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-22-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
DWCboardshop and the Delta Wakeboard camp have demo boards for people to try on the delta.

You can call 866-667-9253 to line it up and try one for yourself
Old     (kevin_garduno)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, Wright and McKee are the main riders. They also sponsor Jared Couch, a CA rider and coach at West Coast Camps. I haven't heard of one person who has gotten on one and hasn't liked it. I've personally seen ten-plus people get on the boards and all are planning to get one of the set-ups. I've literally heard nothing but positive results.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   
demo'd the response twice...got it under me but just didn't feel comfortable..I could see the potential however for my needs for now..I wanted a new board that I could simply switch over to with out having to spend lots of time on the water getting used to the different feel and such simply cause my water time is limited...I could see if you rode it lots and could totally commit to the new style and feel...these boards ARE the future of the sport... I ended up going with the boots they have an adaptor plate to mount on other boards so I have mounted it on my brand new O brien Cartel 141..and the boots are fantastic and love the new set up...
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
i just ordered a recoil this week. after riding this board i could never go back to my old set up. anyone want to buy an 06 watson setup?
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-23-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
How big and how much for the Watson setup? I didn't like either board at all. It is true you CAN pop like no other and land soft but it is so inconsistant. You have to really hit the wake right or it can take pop from you. There are about 4 or 5 different review threads already on this. Also I hate closed toe bindings but these are comfortable. The inserts are a PITA because they come out and float away from you easily when kicking out of the bindings.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
142 watson with size 12 boots for $300 plus shipping. in almost perfect condition. just two very small scratches from being in the board rack it looks like. i will post in the classifieds when i get batteries for my digital but if you want it let me know.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-23-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
What size foot do you have? I think the boots may be a little big for me. Are they the limited watson's? Have they been waranteed yet? Any problem with them?
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-24-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
i have an 11.5 and they fit me perfectly. they are the regular black watsons and i have never had any problems with them.
Old    bocephus            06-24-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
For everyone in Arizona Century Marine at 1446 E Main St., Mesa, AZ, 480.835.9134 has Slingshot stuff. People in my crew have demoed them and all have good reviews...
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-24-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
Can other bindning attach to these boards or do you need slingshot bindings?
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-24-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
You need Slingshot bindings with their boards. They use a four hole pattern similar to a snowboard and the base plate of other bindings will interfere with the flex of the board. The Slingshot bindings have no base plate extending beyond the sole of the boot so that the board can flex properly. They mount via holes on the inside of the boot.
Old     (mark32)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 9:28 AM Reply   
Actually, slingshot makes an adaptor plate so you can put their boots on another board, or other boots on theirs...
Old    bocephus            06-25-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   

quote:

By mark mark (mark32) on Monday, June 25, 2007 - 9:28 am:

Actually, slingshot makes an adaptor plate so you can put their boots on another board, or other boots on theirs...

I have looked at and played with the slingshot boots and boards and the adapter plate. You can not put other bindings on Slingshot boards with the adapter plate, you can only put Slingshot bindings on other boards, at least with the adapters that I was shown.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-25-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
Even if you could put other bindings on a Slingshot board, it would totally screw up the flex characteristics. This would defeat the purpose of the design.
Old    bocephus            06-25-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
I personally doubt that it would screw up the flex characteristics of the boat, and think a lot of it is marketing, but that is my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future the boards would allow all bindings to be mounted. I do know for sure that the hole pattern doesn't stop toe or heel lift any better than any other binding system (from experience).

But here is what the directions include as far as the adapter plate
Upload
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-25-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Bocephus you are wrong, it has to do with the FLEX not the heel/toe lift.
Old    bocephus            06-25-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I understand the flex. In the other thread some were claiming that Slingshot binding mounting system also reduced toe and heel lift and I don't agree. As far as a conventional binding system limiting the flex that a Slingshot board could have I disagree to some extent. If you went with a conventional binding plate you would have additional leverage to flex both the center and ends of the board. I completely understand focused flex points versus even flex throughout the entire board and I still think they would have very similar riding characteristics. I know a spring is a spring, they all equate to F = -KX. Just my opinion though. I am saving for Slingshot board and binding setup.