Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
I finally finished installing my amps in my boat. It took some time and setup but it's worth it. I didn't use any wood boards with glue and no metal straps holding my amps up. All hardware is stainless steel also. I used 16GA steel as my template for my amp to figure everything out.

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-21-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
very clean and nice looking. help me out on figuring out what you did? what exactly is that in the first picture? and the 3rd?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
very clean. It's hard for me to tell what you are using to hold the amps up?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
haha matt get out of my head.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
clickbond.com
aircraft/industrial fasteners
Old    wakefunx2            06-21-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
Hey wake_fun, where did you get the studs shown in your first picture? Or did you make them your self? I might be changing the mount on my amps so i could use some of those, thanks for the help.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
Wake Fun: Yes that's a cool looking mounting system. I like how clean and minium it look's. Im guessing you are using 4 mounts for each amp. Then again Im guessing each amp has a mounting plate that bolts to the mounts that are glued to the hull. I have a few Question's

1. What kind of glue are you using to glue the mounts to the side of the hull.
2. How much weight would you guess the 4 mounts could hold.
3. Is the first time you have used this mounting system.

Thanks Grant

Old    swass            06-21-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
You must be doing something right if you have Grant interested. Pretty cool!
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Grant, I saw you pulling your boat down Lathrop road yesterday evening............what the heck are you doing over there?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
LOL: Im allways looking at diffrent ways to do things, Seeing each boat is diffrent and smometimes you cant mount a amp in the same location in every boat, having a few diffrent way to attach things can make your life a whole lot easyer.
I have found that its not only about mounting a amp in a dry out of the way space but putting it in a place where you can adjust it if need be. Its one thing to mount it where its out of the way and you will never see it again, But if you need to make a adjustment you have to take half the boat apart is a pain in the butt. So its a balance between out of the way and some place thats easy to get to if need be and then last but not least Can you actually mount a board or rack there?

I just want to make sure that it actually works. Its great to show photos of it with amps hanging on a gunnal its another to say yes this works I have been doing it this way for some time and the amps are solid. With the heat and flex from the fiberglass that better be some super glue that holds that mount to the gunnal, What I have found is the greater the glued surface the less stick the glue has to be, To be honest that is a very small looking mount. So Im guessing that the glue is very very strong.

Ill have to get a mount and some glue and test one at the shop Via a hanging weight, Like we have done with all the other glue's

Old    tod            06-21-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
Great idea!!

Grant, it looks like the steel plate was just for a template to align the mounts for adhesion. Use the amp to drill all the holes in the plate, attach the mounts/inserts the glue the whole assembly to the wall. Once dry remove the plate and bolt up the amp. Very good idea.

I would also like to know what you are using to attach the mounts to the hull?? Is it strong engough, is there enough surface area to hold the weight of the amps over years of double ups?? I sure hope so because that set up is really clean!!

Keep us updated there are a few things I might try this on............ This would be a great solution to attaching light weight speaker pods............... really the applications are limitless.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
We have used these at work. I used the 16GA steel for a template so that everything would stay perpendicular. I'm using four standoffs for each amp. One amp weighs about 11-12 pounds.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
Shear strength is 1500 psi - 2500 psi.........for the glue. Tension on the part is in the hundreds of pounds......overall I feel that four of these holding an 11 pound amp will do just fine.

(Message edited by wake_fun on June 21, 2005)
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-22-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
wake fun - what is that 3rd picture? looks like you are lucky enough that it was a flat surface right there.

ant bug - looks like i was in and out in a jiffy. thanks for the thoughts
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
Tod: I was coming from Lake Tuloch, I use Lathrop as a cut threw to Hwy #5 from 99, Do you live near by?
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
Grant,
Yes.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2005, 10:49 AM Reply   
Matt,
Once I put the sound deadening material and carpet back on, that is what the end of the standoff looked like when it was finished. I then used small standoff's to to mount the amp to and also to get the wiring to go under the amps.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
What was the name of the Glue you used.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Grant,
Hardman Epoxy