Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    bobbymucic            08-15-2003, 10:09 AM Reply   
Can anyone offer some advice regarding houseboat/camping coves near dangling rope marina.

I've searched the boards and found the recent thread about water levels (especially the hazards to the south of dangling rope). Way back I found some threads talking about the san juan and escalante river arms. That is too far for us.

We have the houseboat for 5 days, and don't plan go past dangling rope. I'd prefer to get to the marina via the wakeboard boats in less than 30 minutes.

I'm considering face canyon, rock creek, and howland canyon.

any help?

Thanks

This site and the site below have been helpful
http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm
Old    dwe            08-15-2003, 3:35 PM Reply   
Bobby,

With the low water this year you'll probably just have to scout it out ahead of the houseboat. We stayed in Last Chance last year and had a great beach. We will head that direction this year, but the water level is always different. Last Chance and Rock Creek will most likely have beach area. If you get back before 8/23 let me know what you find.

David
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-15-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
Bobby, we will be going way up the San juan as we have the last 2 years but you may want to try the rock creek/dry rock creek bay area, friends stayed there year before last and said it was great. Last chance bay is not a favorite of mine and I would not go in there, gets very silty toward the end were the beaches were 3 years ago anyway. Face canyon and west canyon have some excellent hiking at the end of them, twisty slot canyons with pools you swim through. With that in mind I just checked the weather there and they are having severe thunderstorms and that means no hiking in the drainages, flash floods.
Have fun, we are leaving aug. 20 and are on the Summer Dreamin'.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
Bobby,

I just got back from Lake Powell two weeks ago, the best places to wakeboard are Warm Creek Bay and San Juan River. Oak Canyon is a good place to put your houseboat if you can find a spot. It is at Mile 51. Dangling Rope is at about Mile 40. San Juan River starts at about Mile 58. This would leave you close to Dangling Rope and still close enough to the San Juan River for wakeboarding. You would also be close to great beautiful canyons including Rainbow Bridge National Monument if you don't mind almost a mile walk due to low water.

Rock Creek had OK beaches, but the conditions were blown out alot. Middle Rock Creek and Dry Rock Creek used to have great beaches but due to the low water, they were terrible this time.

If you are just going for wakeboarding and don't want to go very far, I would just go to Warm Creek Bay. It has the most consistent glassy conditions except for the San Juan River. Have a great time.
Old    bobbymucic            08-17-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info!

I haven't been to powell sine '99, when I beach camped in balanced rock canyon.
We have the houseboat for 4 1/2 days. I would rather not drive all the way up to the san juan.

David, I leave for powell, the 23rd. So I won't be able to let you know how conditions are. Maybe I'll see you there!

Strib, how are/were the crowds at Warm creek bay? Is it packed with houseboats?

Al, I'll keep an eye out for "summer dreamin". We are in a rental houseboat, so it would be hard to spot us. We both have 02 malibus. Mine is red/grey with a red swoop tower (I bet the bimini will he up as well.. I've got the tattoo graphics.

Thanks again guys for your help. I'm stoked!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Bobby, I just recieved an email from another owner of our boat and they went into last chance bay and had a great time there, so don't give my opinion too much credit as it's been 2 years since we were there and the lake was some 70' higher then. Have Fun
Old    dwe            08-18-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
Bobby,

We are leaving for Powell on the 23rd also. Get on the boat Sun. 24th at Wahweep. Our houseboat is blue and white, "Pure Indulgence". We will also have a red/white air nautique and blue/white malibu. Say hi if you see us.

David

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
Bobby, I was on the lake with Strib. Because everyone coming out of Wawhweap is forced to go through the "narrows" this year instead of using the main channel, they continue on up the lake without getting a good look at Warm Creek Bay. In the past we always bypassed Warm Creek cuz of the crowds. This time we rarely encountered anyone's rollers and the wind was cooperating. We were riding there Tuesday thru Saturday with only a few more riders showing up in the bay on Saturday than during the week when it was mostly empty. The couple of times the bay got blown out we went into the southwest corner by Castle Rock and rode pure glass by ourselves. Someone has set up a waterski course over there and tried to chase us off but we gently reminded them that Lake Powell was a public lake and there was plenty of room for 2 boats!
There was plenty of room for houseboats in the bay as well. I've never seen Warm Creek Bay this empty and would have never rode there but just for the fact that many people seem to be bypassing it. This worked out well for us as we really didn't want to take the time to head up to San Juan. We measured water temp at 85*!!
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 10:10 AM Reply   
Here's a couple pics of Warm Creek from 2 weeks ago. The second one is of the southwest corner I referred to in my previous post.

Old    bobbymucic            08-18-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
You guys are awesome, thanks for the info. All you info is making planning much easier.

Warm creek looks like great water, and seems like lots of beaches. Not much shade or scenery??

I think face canyon is our #1 spot. I think we'll take a ski boat to check out warm creek bay on our way to face canyon. Maybe we will stop there for a day or 2? I'd prefer not to move the houseboat though.

I'm in charge of the trip, we have 2 skiboats, a 59 foot houseboat, and 15 people! I've been to powell twice, (3 dudes beach camping and 1 houseboat college trip), and houseboated at Shasta once. I have never planned a houseboat trip before, so I am trying my best not to let my group down.

I had no idea that we need go through the narrows instead of the main channel. Must be due to the water level.

Here's another questons for you Powell pros:

How do I (or should I not even try) to tow 2 boats behind the houseboat?

like this skiboat---skiboat--houseboat?

or is it better to use ropes of differnet lengths and connect each skiboat to the houseboat?

Maybe we should just tow one boat?

Here's my maliubu that we'll have there, from the 24th to the 28th. I'll keep an eye out there for you guys!

Bobby

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
Bobby, call me at 858-278-2152 and I'll give you a ton of helpful info that would take a dozen posts to cover. I've had a lot of experience on all the issues you're asking about.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
Use different length ropes, 70' and one 100' and tie one to the port stern cleet and one to the starboard stern cleet. keep an eye on them and you may need to move one back or forward to get it in the right spot of the houseboats wakes.
You may want to send one boat out ahead and look for your beach because you are not going very far anyway. just a thought.
Old    dwe            08-18-2003, 3:02 PM Reply   
Bobby,

I'd give Mike a call it sounds like he can dial you in. Make sure with your open bow that you tow with the bowcover on, a couple of good wakes can add alot of water over the bow, you don't that. I've seen open bow boats go completely under that way. I use Alan's method of towing, different length lines off the port and starboard cleets. The longer the lines the better.

David
Old    bobbymucic            08-18-2003, 3:24 PM Reply   
I just talked to Mike and he offered great tips. Thank man!

The tips for anchoring and getting on the boat early will be key.

Yes, a bow cover would be a good idea. Too bad my boat doesn't have one. I think we will be only towing one boat at a time, and I think we will only tow if it is real smooth water.

Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-19-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Bobby, have a great time. I ditto what Mike said.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-19-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
Be careful towing your boat comming out of Wahweep. in the narrow channel we saw a Malibu? sinking/ under water (still floating) on saturday 8-9. I don't know the story, maybe got hit with a few waves & the bilge may have been off. that channel is a rough spot.Musta ruined there day. The best board spot i liked was last chance bay!!!! Have fun water temp 80
Andrew
Old    dwe            08-19-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
I just received an e-mail from another owner on out boat. They just got back yesterday. The channel around the point can be very rough if there is much traffic. I have a photo of a houseboat that was hit by a wake from the tour boat and it's canopy on top collapsed. I've tried to post it. I would definitely not tow your boat through this area. They stayed in last chance, but said that there were not very many usable beaches. But they did have a great time.

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-19-2003, 5:27 PM Reply   
Bobby, if you are able to pre-board the night before and get an early start the next morning like we discussed, you won't have any problem towing in the narrows. It does get progressively worse as the day goes on due to traffic and wind, but if you can make it through by 8am you will have no worries.
Old    bobbymucic            08-29-2003, 7:08 PM Reply   
Thanks again everybody!

Mike..pre-boarding was so key! We got to wahweap at 6PM, sent a crew to Page for food, and loaded up. Most of us spent the night on the boat in the marina, but a few used the hotel that we had set up on the package deal. We were able to launch our boats and be on our way by 7AM.

We ended up in face canyon..

face

It was the last beach area good for a houseboat in the cove. We had very little boat traffic come through, but did get PWCs cruising by every now and then. We figured out the shallow spots and had a blast coming in and out of the cove. The water on the west of gooseneck point was great as well (and it was part of the main channel so we didn't bounce our own wakes around).

The only bad part about face canyon was that it is about mid-way between dangling rope and wahweap, taking about 35 minutes to get there. I wish we had taken more gas cans with us.

My friends and I had a blast. I think my dog had the most fun out of us all.

Maybe I'll post some more pics later.

Bobby

Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-31-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
Bobby, great to hear everyone enjoyed themselves so much! You should definitely post some pics. Usually all the decent beach areas in Face Canyon are taken but the one you found looks sweet. When the lake was higher the main channel traffic was further away from the entrance to Face but now with the gooseneck extended everyone is forced to come around into the larger part of Face on the north side. Sounds like you made the best of it and had good water. Were dangling rope gas prices holding at $2.89?

Next time you'll probably want to go for 7 days. We've found 7 days go so fast we want to take a 10 day trip next time.

Glad you were able to take advantage of the pre-board. Saves time and makes loading more leisurely.

What's the latest on your truck? Is it fixed and looking no worse for the wear?

Thanks again for the prop. It's working out great and I'm just going to leave it on indefinitely.
Old    bobbymucic            09-03-2003, 8:27 PM Reply   
Yes, gas was 2.89 at dangling rope. My estimate was close. I listed it a 2.80 in my nerdy excel sheet.

Here are some pics from powell. Not the best resolution. Making them fit the 700 by 300 pixels seems to screw them up. I'll get the pics from my buddies cameras soon. Maybe some cool stuff out of those to post.

The view from our cove at sunset
sunset

Mooring for the malibu..anchor buddy anchor line was cool. Just pull the stern line to board the swim platform.
malibu

Me and the chubby that I won at the Wakeworld Golf classic
chubby

The best bow ballast around. The water was so smooth the ladies brought along cosmo and harelquinn romance novels.
ballast

my friends max and danielle are not too excited about the dawn patrol...skiers
dawn patrol

Shayna, the towdog and spotter dog.
dog tow
spotter dog

A blur grab.
blur grap

My friend brett..planet of the apes
apes

Mike, I'm glad you like the prop. Maybe it will delay your perfect pass purchase a bit longer? My truck is finally in the shop. The insurance estimate was 2500. I bet it comes out to be more like 4500. Did you know that f150 supercrew bed are fiberglass.

Maybe I'll post other pics later.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-03-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
Bobby, great pics. Did you know that the original "Planet of the Apes" was shot at Lake Powell in 1967 after the lake had only been filling for 4 years? After they "crash" into the lake, the next 15 minutes are cool shots of Powell when it was much lower than it is now. Let's hope it never gets that low again. The infamous "bathtub ring" is evident even back in '67 which doesn't make sense since the water never had been that high yet to create a ring. A mystery..............
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
Mike, The lake throughout it's filling fluctuated in elevation so even in 67 when the water level was avg. 3522' it was 3535' in 66 making it 13' higher the year prior to the movie. Is the ring about 13'?http://www.summittech.com/LakePowell/LP_WaterDB.php
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-04-2003, 3:21 PM Reply   
Alan, it could very well be though it is at a distance and looked higher. You should check out the movie and see what I mean. Thanks for the link--it has some very interesting info. I didn't realize the lake level fluctuated in the early years, but even back then there was substantial demand for water downstream. Any idea when they first opened the lake to the public? What ramp did they use at that time? I understand the Whaweap ramp extends pretty far but have no idea at what water elevation it would become high and dry.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2003, 4:02 PM Reply   
Mike, I can tell you the concrete at wahweap ran out last week when we pulled out but know idea how far it is graded to, If things don't change this winter it will become real interesting next season. Pray for rain and snow!
Old    dwe            09-05-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
The bottom of the Wahweep ramp is at about 3605'. When we put in on Aug. 24th the lake was at 3605.65' and the water was right at the bottom of the concrete. By Aug. 30th. the lake was at 3604.39', down 1.26', and there was about 6' of dirt between the concrete and the water. The prediction is that the lake will rise about 8' more next year than it did this year. I know it's early to predict but that's what I hear the "experts" are saying. Time will tell.

We had a great time there though. Once you make it past the channel out of Wahweap it's still a great lake with plenty of water.
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
We are leaving friday for Powell. Anyone encounter a problem with rocks near the surface that aren't marked. My biggest fear is to hit a rock 20 miles from a marina and have to go back to change the prop. Any suggestions for sites near Last chance? Thanks
Old    bobbymucic            09-17-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
From Wahweap to dangling rope, no problems at all if you stay near the channel marking bouys.

If you plan on going past dangling rope (to rainbow bridge) watch out for a shallow spot about 1 mile northeast of the marina entrance, closer to the northern shore side of the lake. It crept up on us fast! I believe someone else who posts here said that they actually ran aground there?

We didn't head up last chance at all, can't help you there. In face canyon, there were three shallow spots to worry about. They were pretty easy to see if you paid attention.
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2003, 1:56 PM Reply   
Last Chance is often wind blown. Better options are Padre Bay and Warm Creek Bay. With the channel through Castle Rock closed the size of Warm Creek Bay has grown and there is more protection from the wind. We had calm conditions in WC for a week and my family was there the week after and reported perfect conditions as well. We also didn't have any problems with underwater obstacles. Pic of warm creek near Castle Rock.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-17-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
As said before the main channel is marked and you will have no trouble if you use the green and red bouys. werever you end up going I would scout out before boarding and then stick to the areas you are sure about, there are obstructions in places you would not think and if you are carefull you will have no problems. We stayed our last night in rock creek and there were great beaches but the better water was in the San Juan arm from the entrance on in. Have fun!
Old    dwe            09-17-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
CL

We were there the last week in August. Had a great time and stayed a week in Last Chance. We were in the first large cove on the left, but there were good beaches in some of the other coves on both sides as well. The weather this year was the best in several years and we had lots of good water. Use the red & green bouys for your travel in the channel, the side bays/canyons are not marked, and you will be ok. Rocks can pop up anywhere though so keep an eye out for them. I was concerned going this year, after hearing some of the stories. You always have to be on the look out for rocks even when the water is high. So, we went concerned about the water level but found that we did not do things much different than in high water years and did just fine. Go and have a great time!

David
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-18-2003, 8:20 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone!!
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-04-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Thought i would share some pics too. 90% of the time there was glass everywhere. We rode from the back of rock creek to warm creek bay in the channel with nothing but glass the whole time. We literally ran out of gas doing it. 3 guys, 4 sets each. Amazing...here are the pics

The boats
Sunset
Rainbow Bridge
Sunset grab
Sunset Tantrum

(Message edited by jro on October 04, 2003)
Old     (sdrider)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-05-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
Jro, nice pics. Tantrum with Navajo Mountain in the background at sunset is sweet. Check out that same cave on Last Chance when water was about 12' higher.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-06-2003, 6:31 AM Reply   
man you guys are lucky to ride in such a scenic and glassy lake.

Old    leggester            10-06-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Pierce, you're in Texas. Only about a 12 hour drive for you to Page Az.
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-06-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, we drove 15+ hours each way, so no excuses
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-06-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
ya true, may consider making that drive one day.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-06-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
Dude, I drive 20 every year for a Lake Mead trip. Used to drive to Powell from OC every year. Fill the tank and ride. 12 is a piece-o-cake and you'll only want to do it again and again and again............
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
We do it in 12 from so. ca. and worth every min.