Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
where do you add ballast? there is not a ton of storage in the boat because the space under the floors is not open.

i have a 1990 sun sport

i was thinking about putting a fat sac (hopefully 200 lbs) in the cooler and another right behind the engine and rear bench seat (400ish lbs). that would leave the bow storage open for other junk.

let me know what you think.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
por favor
Old     (hyperlite1622)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
hey ya i have the same problem but my dad and i are gonna take the thing ouuta the storage in the back and see wats under there. but if u you find anything out please let em know
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-01-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
How about some pic's so we can see what you're work-n-with.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
i don't really have any pics unfortunately. i'm in vt and the boat is in ny...
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-01-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
the back seat has supports across it that splits it into 3 sections that make it useless for fat sacs.

the bow of the boat has two cushions with room for bow sacs but i would prefer to keep them open for storage. there is a built in cooler in the bow also where i think i will put a small fat sac. i stood in it yesterday and it held my weight so i think it should be fine.

there is no ski locker under the floor.

i would prefer not to use side sacs so i can preserve floor space.

i think i will put a sac right behind the engine and in front of the back seat.

i originally planned on putting sacs under the floors but there is not any free space...just enough for the engine and transmission etc.

there has to be some people on here who weigh their old supras or have been in one.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
you are asking alot, you wanna weight a DD without sacrificing floor space. unfortunately it doesn't always work that way :-( you may have to give up some space to get the weight you want :-( just the nature of the beast
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2006, 6:31 AM Reply   
Easiest method would likely be lead.

Rear: Underneath the rear storage locker is the gas tank and the locker itself is a plastic insert. This would likely need reinforcement if you are going to use a sack in it for ballast. If you are handy I would build a new base for the rear seat that does not have a divider. This is what is done on the newer Supra Launch. I belivieve the 99 - ?? were rated at 400lbs.

Front: I don't remember the front cooler being that big so not sure you will get enough weight up front by using only the cooler. I believe you will want @ 600 - 750 up front. Underneath the play pen is great for storage but is likely the only place to get that much weight in front without resorting to lead ballast.

The Sunsports are great for storage. If you use the front play pen, and underneath rear seat for ballast that would still leave the rear locker, front locker, underneath observation seat, and cooler for dedicated storage. We alway threw the cooler behind the driver seat so the cooler was always open but you could always add/build another storage box behind the drivers seat (Malibu XTI ish).

Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
thank you for your help. i am going to look into doing some reinforcing under the back seat and i will probably end up giving up some space in the bow for weight. i don't feel like i need much more than 800lbs. the wake has been huge(for me) with no weight and 4 people.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-02-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I'm with Brian on this one... Reinforce the farthest back storage locker and drop a single waterbed mattress in there. Then rebuild the rear seat base so you can fit another waterbed mattress under there. I had a '96 Sunsport that I did this to and it worked great. Up front see if you can find an old triangular tube to stuff under the bow. Not sure if the storage in yours is one open bow or separate compartments. If it is an open area the tube will work, if it is compartments you need to get some sand bags or some of the waterbed tubes to put in there. You do need to get a bit of weight up there to balance out the two waterbeds in the back though. I had a friend who had an '87 Sunsport and the wake can be really nice, but we ran a Launch Pad on either side of the engine, the same with my '96.
Basically, if you want a really, really big wake you'll have to put a sack on either side of the engine, if you want a nice wake with good shape, do like I said above. It will take a little work and figuring, but all of the weight will be hidden.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
My 99 Launch DD rear seat is the same divided in to three sec. Mine has a hard tank underneath the seat I will show you the pic I have and try to get you some more
Upload
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
please post another pic when you get a chance so i understand what you are talking about. i was kind of thinking about searching for a hard tank that would fit under the seat if i removed the dividers. then i could mount the three cushions on a piece of plywood and just set them on top of the tank.

also, i wouldn't mind putting a couple side sacs in next to the engine as long as i could still walk through. anyone have any experience with this?
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Ian, I am going from memory here but the Supra launch with rear ballast has a similar two piece rear seat as your sunsport. There is a top seat section and base that the top seat section sits on. The top section has the same three piece divider under the seat cushion (Top piece) but the base itself is a big plastice tank and the top is not open for storage.

It would be interesting to see if the newer ballast seat base would work in an older sunsport. May be worth giving a call to SC.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
You are correct Brian. I was thinking he could just fit the hard tank under the seat that is already there.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
good thinking. i will give them a call tomorrow. thanks!

if i got 12"x12" side sacs do you think there would be much space left to walk through?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
I will try to have those pic's for you tomorrow Ian.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
The pic with one finger is pointing to the frame.The pic with two fingers are pointing to the tank. There is a shot of the part# aswell. Hope this helps.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-02-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
wow! thank you! i am going to call sc tomorrow and see what they say. even if it won't work, i might look into finding a plastic tank that will fit. thank you for all your help!
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
I have an 84 Supra, and for two years, I ran with a 750 sac right behind the engine and in front of the rear seat. This year, I tore out the back seat altogether and replaced it with a "shelf" that you can still sit on, but the 750 will now fit nicely underneath the "shelf". Makes a pretty nice wake. I can post pics if you want to see it.
Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 5:58 AM Reply   
if you wouldn't mind posting pics, that would be great. i am kind of thinking about doing something like that myself.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Sure, I'll try to get some posted tonight.
Old     (jleger98)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of pics of "the shelf". its sized so that the big bump will fit nicely when full. Still got plenty of room.
Upload Here is a pic of the old rear seat after I tore it out a few winters ago.
Upload

Old     (spudski67)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
fantastic! thanks for all of the help!