Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (st68)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-15-2014, 12:16 PM Reply   
I am doing a project and trying to compile all of the wakesurf board makers out there... there are a lot of them I am not aware of so I wanted to solicit your help to see how many we can come up with... I will start with the general list I have so far:

1. O'Brien
2. Inland Surfer
3. Liquid Force
4. Ronix
5. Phase 5
6. Erie
7. Soulcraft
8. Wake Wood
9. Doomswell
10. Mendonesia
11. Idol/iSurf
12. Evercarve
13. Chaos/Shredd Stix
14. LipSnap
15. LakeWakes
16. Triple X
17. Day 1
18. Brigade
19. Walker
20. CWB

Thanks!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Sixx industries
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
Scott, it goes well beyond this list. I have a spreadsheet that I put together a few years ago in an attempt to figure out approximately the number of boards produced a year. Most of these companies aren't real companies, some have produced less than 50 boards or are just hoping to make 50-100 boards in a year. The 'wake surf industry' is the poster child for 'fake it till you make it'.

A small surfboard manufacturing company in the surf industry produces around 2,000 boards a year. The big guys produce a lot more. There are a few niche producers that make a living doing around 200-300 specialty boards a year.

Your list covers about 70-80% of the US brands, there are numerous foreign brands as well.

Nick
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
Stretch, Skof, Hyperlite, Byerly, Jobe,

Board Companies Manufactured Market Regions Styles 2011 Volume Price Range # board Models
Inland Surfer Thailand International Surf and Skim
Shred Stixx China/California/Texas International Surf
Chaos Texas International Surf and Skim
Walker Project California International Surf
Phase 5 Florida International Skim
Triple X China International Surf and Skim
Liquid Force China International Surf and Skim
Ronix China International Surf and Skim
CWB China International Surf and Skim
Obrien China International Surf and Skim
Victoria China International Skim
Calibrated USA Primarily USA Skim
Idol Minnesota Primarily USA Surf
Soulcraft Idaho Primarily USA Surf
Byerly China International Skim
Osia (Amazon/Sam's Club) China Primarily USA Surf
Endless Break Illinois (Chicago) USA Surf
Varua France Primarily Europe Surf and Skim
Airbaze South Africa Primarily Europe Surf
Slingshot China Primarily USA Surf
Grindwater China Primarily USA Surf
Hyperlite China International Surf
Mike Doyle Customs Texas Texas Surf
Spindrift Texas Texas Surf
Props California Primarily USA Surf
Follow France France Surf
SKoF California California Surf
Evercarve California USA Surf
Lakewakes Georgia USA Surf
Category 5 Surfboards Florida USA Surf
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2014, 1:04 PM Reply   
Partial snap shot from the 2011 list. Notice many on your list do not appear as they did not exist or did not make wake surfboards only a few years ago.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-15-2014, 2:42 PM Reply   
Nick,
Victoria Skimboards produce all of their Wakesurf boards in Southern California.
Their price point ocean skimboard, the "foamie" model is made overseas. Everything else (including their cheap wood skims) are made near Laguna, CA.

And I totally agree with you about the "fake it til you make it" in Wakesurfing. There are more "pro models" than legitimate professional riders.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
Yes, Mitch. Not sure why Victoria is listed that way in the 2011 table. I was probably just filling cells and never edited it, volume was my focal point which I removed those numbers from the pasted list.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-15-2014, 10:35 PM Reply   
Nick,

Do you know what Sean Walzer is up to these days?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-16-2014, 8:58 AM Reply   
No, really no idea what he is up to these days. The walzer group was one of many that provided some overlap ideas and technology into manufacturing a board, in their case skims boards, more specified for wakesurfing. Like many before them, they were too earlier in their pursuit. The market simple wasn't there and sustainable enough.

As many as tend to start up these days, just as many have closed down operations over the past few years.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-16-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
That's a shame. My Walzer is one of best boards I've ever ridden. Well ahead of its time. I would absolutely commission another.

You wouldn't know where to find him would you?
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-16-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
Here is a good little write up by Jeff Walker on Walzer. Yes, that's my pristine Alpha.
http://flyboywakesurf.com/composite-...esurf-history/
Attached Images