Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
I was wakeboarding yesterday and I was pulled by a floating dock and there was a bunch of seagulls sitting on it. As we started going by it they started to fly. One seagull was watching the boat and didn't see I was being pulled. It turned around and was coming right towards my head. It was too late to dodge so I ducked and put my arm in front of my head and It hit me in the arm and it went tumbling into the water. Never been that scared on a wakeboard before.
Old    wakeskirider            09-12-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Did it live?
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       09-12-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
That'd been a pretty funny vid-o clip... Too bad no one was filming.

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt.

-Blake

Note to self: Watch for birds/seagulls when riding, from now on.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Awesome! I've had some birds fly though the tower of the boat. Never seen one get close to a rider though.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-12-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Birds are stupid!!! Hope he didnt drop a dookie on ya.... I had one commit suicide on my center window, hit the floor and died between the legs of a female passenger. I think they have a form of tunnel vision and cant see off to the sides.
Old     (trump)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Birds have small brains.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2005, 12:26 PM Reply   
if you're gonna go, what better place than between the legs of a female passenger?
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-12-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
My mom was taping but she moved ahead to see all the birds and I am barely out of the screen. I was pissed that she missed it. But you can see my expression after I got hit.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-12-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
That's like those retarded seagulls from Finding Nemo... too bad they didn't have any wakeboarding in that movie. I'm gonna write a complaint to Pixar.

Hella funny story tho :-)
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-12-2005, 11:40 PM Reply   
we were coming in one night on the river and a small bird was caught by the bimini on my buddy's mc. it ricochted off the top of the bimini and flew into the boat 48mph . it was then referred to as "one of those exotic feathered fu**ers." lol
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-13-2005, 6:07 AM Reply   
I hit a Pelican several years ago running the slalom course before anyone had heard of wakeboarding, it hit me square in the chest, Pelican is a big bird and going 50+ miles an hour across the wake didn't help the matter out any, it hurt like he$$, we both went tumbling into the water and when I came up to get some air, the Pelican also came up the same time with his hugh beak and we were face to face only a few inches from each other, it was a damn good thing he was really shook up cause a Pelicans beak inches from your face in his domain was a place I rather of not been, we both slowly swam away from each other and about a minute or so later, he flew and landed in a tree, It was about an hour or so before he finally flew away.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2005, 8:31 AM Reply   
A couple of years ago, we were riding a little late into twilight, and a buddy got hit by a bat. Freaked him out a little, because it seemed to make a few passes before it finally nailed him.

It was pretty funny!
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-13-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Those bats do seem to like to do a couple of flyby's and then do a bombing mission while we are surfing.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-13-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
hahahahahahhhaahahahahahahaahhaahaaahahahahhahhah
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
that's awesome..kinda
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-13-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Hit a duck once in my old boat. Hit the extended pylon board rack, it died. made a pretty cool sound when it hit. THUD, followed by a half hearted "quack".
Old    alanp            09-13-2005, 7:08 PM Reply   
randy johnsons baseball got hit by a bird too
Old    southwaker            09-15-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
did you get hurt? thats Funny the way it happened! that bird must have been in its on little world.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Didn't Dave Winfield hit a bird with a fly ball in the 80s?
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-15-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
That's awesome...I hope you are both okay!
Old    fender            09-15-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
Wow, there are some awesome stories in this thread, I would have loved to have seen that dude and the pelican just kinda face to face after they "crossed paths".
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
I clothes-lined a seagull with the wakeboard line one time. I was cutting outside the wake and a seagull was on the water. It flew up, oblivious to the line got nailed. It tumbled mid air a couple times. feathers flying, landed in the water, shook itself off and flew away. everyone in the boat was laughing so hard they couldnt
stand it...