Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-03-2014, 8:05 PM Reply   
Call me out if you want...But i kind of feel that people that post pictures of themselves surfing holding a drink are just dicks. I don't see that as a trick. Maybe show a pic of yourself doing a trick...

Agree or disagree???
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2014, 8:16 PM Reply   
Pretty much all I do anymore is surf. That being said I have never done it with a beer in my hand but don't really care if anyone does.
What I do think it stupid is the fact that there are "Pro" wake surfers and wake surfing "Competitions". Im pretty sure the ceiling on tricks has been reached or is close to being reached.

Ollie--- CHECK
360 --- CHECK
Sit on your butt and ride-----CHECK
Switch ride-----CHECK
Kick Flip----CHECK
Shove it --- CHECK
Back Flip ---- Oh wait this is wake surfing, never mind.

Im sure I missed a trick or two here but what else can you really do? Its a blast and I love it but to have someone competing in it is kind of stupid.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-03-2014, 8:59 PM Reply   
Come on, it's the cool thing to do taking pictures of yourself with a beer in hand

As far as competing, I think the next level of tricks is with surgate or NSS, using transfer tricks. I think that is the natural evolution of the sport. I'm actually surprised that we have not seen the happen in competition. It' would certainly take some thunder from centurion for being the "surf" boat. Old video, but you get the idea
http://youtu.be/I4Svhrrd364

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 06-03-2014 at 9:02 PM.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2014, 9:09 PM Reply   
Ok so apply my list of tricks to a transfer over to the other side and the sport of wake surfing is complete…no?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-03-2014, 9:17 PM Reply   
Lmfao!!!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-03-2014, 9:19 PM Reply   
I surf when the water sucks, am too buzzed to wakeboard, and too lazy to airchair. Keep on with the hate for people drinking during your 'sport.'
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2014, 9:48 PM Reply   
This is funny. I'm guessing it'll get more funny.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-03-2014, 9:56 PM Reply   
I'm no saying surfing is the most exciting sport to watch, but look at other things out there. Televised poker? Dog shows? Baseball? Would much rather see wakesurfing than half of the crap that is considered televised sport. IMO, transfer tricks will help elevate the sport. Much better than seeing people doing surface 720s or more on the wave. Will it ever be as fun as watching wakeboarding? Probably not, but it adds a new element.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2014, 10:00 PM Reply   
^^^ true and I would add that it's more fun to do than to watch as well.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2014, 10:02 PM Reply   
Fun is in the eye of the beerholder. Um... Beholder. Baha! I'm here all week...
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2014, 10:12 PM Reply   
You forgot the old surf classics,

How about a walk around or hanging 5?

That being said, I haven't drank and wakesurfed, but I have had mini oreos and the like thrown to me while I surf. Catch them, eat them, keep surfing. Nothing like a nice little snack while you're playing.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-04-2014, 3:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Call me out if you want...But i kind of feel that people that post pictures of themselves surfing holding a drink are just dicks. I don't see that as a trick. Maybe show a pic of yourself doing a trick...
So someone is a dick for taking a picture of themselves having fun because it involved a beer surfing? Instead we should all have look at me pictures doing a "trick"? These people are truly dicks. You should get yourself together a dick hunting mob and just go beat all the dicks you can find. Stupid dicks. I also personally think anyone posting language like "dick" etc on internet forums must be a real tough guy.

Last edited by williamburell; 06-04-2014 at 3:38 AM.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-04-2014, 4:08 AM Reply   
PS...You used the d word more then me...So i guess it takes one to know one.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-04-2014, 4:18 AM Reply   
lol I think its a lil late to call it the "d word"
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-04-2014, 4:46 AM Reply   
How about people who post things in the wrong sub-forum? What about those guys.... Am I right?? I guess beer could be considered an "Accessory".
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-04-2014, 5:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
So someone is a dick for taking a picture of themselves having fun because it involved a beer surfing? Instead we should all have look at me pictures doing a "trick"? These people are truly dicks. You should get yourself together a dick hunting mob and just go beat all the dicks you can find. Stupid dicks. I also personally think anyone posting language like "dick" etc on internet forums must be a real tough guy.

Bryce said there are good 'dick hunting' tips in this magazine.

Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2014, 5:31 AM Reply   
I think surfing is for women. Is that being a dick? Man up and wakeboard!!!
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-04-2014, 5:53 AM Reply   
I mean...... I think you are the one being a dick.

I have never pounded a beer while surfing, but I could care less if somebody else does. It is mildly entertaining, and adds a little character to a sport that can get very boring, very fast. I wanna see 360s and shuv-its while pounding one down....

Somebody that is doing something harmless, for a little laugh, is not a dick.

Somebody who logs on to complain about it, and call them a dick, is, in fact, a dick themselves.

Just my opinion........
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-04-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Out of all the things to complain about, someone picks beer drinking while surfing????? Are they supposed to be super cerial & focused? I think someone is just pissed they can't drink a beer & surf at the same time. I know I am
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-04-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra24ssv View Post

Yeah I use to say that, after 20 years of riding, my knees aren't what they once were. Can't charge the wake like I use to, add a knee injury on top of that, surfing at least keeps me behind the boat for now
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamburell View Post
You might want to re-read your post. It totally has two meanings.
That being said, I can't stop laughing
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-04-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was leaving the suggestions open ended for the guy. No telling what his preference would be in the situation. The over aggressive manliness of his post suggests compensation for something.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-04-2014, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post

That being said, I can't stop laughing

Pretty sure that was the intention.
Old     (HighWater)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-04-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
Not everyone is capable physically of wake boarding. I for one fall into that category. Broke my leg two years ago wake boarding. 4 surgeries in 1 year and my foot is held up by a tendon anchored to the bone in my foot because I tore my perineal nerve and suffered foot drop. I wakeboard but don't jump the wake anymore. I surf because it allows me to experience the pursuit of progression. Don't be so quick to judge OP, you never know everyones situation.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-04-2014, 7:55 AM Reply   
I think people that complain about other people doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with them, are dicks.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Some people like to have fun others are DICKS.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
I think people who complain about what people choose to do for fun instead of just having fun are the real dicks.
Attached Images

Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-04-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra24ssv View Post
Nope. That's what adults call a "punk ass".
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-04-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
Wake surfing better to watch then baseball=Half a man!!
C'mon bro that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this forum your wife should slap you.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-04-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
What a stupid thread. We are focusing on people who drink a beer while surfing? Must be a dick that started it.

I'm with Dave Diaz on this one. I love wakeboarding and would rather do that than surf any day. Unfortunately, after +20 years of snowboarding and wakeboarding my body doesn't feel the same.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       06-04-2014, 8:51 AM Reply   
^read! Lmao
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-04-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hater..... ha ha. We typically have a beer on the board after we do a set. More of a ritual probably from doing it years ago, but I have no intent to stop and this post just makes we want to go out and do it again!!! The newbs on the boat always get a kick out of seeing us surf, since they have not seen it and then to see a beer go flying back is always entertaining. Call me a d!ck.... I am cool with that.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
Wow OP, judgmental? A little lightening up might help.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-04-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Wake surfing better to watch then baseball=Half a man!!
C'mon bro that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in this forum your wife should slap you.
Everyone has their own opinion, and mine, Baseball is just too damn slow. If you want to question manhood over a sport, try playing Hockey. They don't get a splinter and end up on a 6 week DL List. But that is for another thread. Wakesurfing IMO has more action in it than ball game, but it is also more fun to do than watch, again IMO.

Anyone who thinks full man = baseball is funny
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-04-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
This has got to be a trolling thread. Excellent bait
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2014, 9:43 AM Reply   
I don't know about you guys but this thread made me thirsty!

The reason that most of us curtailed our wakeboarding in favor of surfing is simple. It hurts! Oh sure it doesn't hurt anymore to eat schitt than it used to but it does hurt a lot longer. I can surf day after day without fear of reprisal from my body, this is not the case with wakeboarding. Sure when I was in my 20's I could do anything I want and not get hurt but those days are behind me. Now? Now I like to surf and if I decide to goof off and have a beer while wrapping up a session than so be it. Its my perogative and it literally has nothing to do with you. This whole thing feels a hell of a lot like bitching for the sake of bitching. Maybe you should focus on other things such as not being such an ahole.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-04-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
I stand before the court to be judged: Does this make me more or less of a dick?

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
what are we supposed to do, after two acl surgeries and are at the plus 50 age, give up wakeboarding and buy a Bayliner???? I don't think so! If you don't like a wakesurfing thats fine, but don't call people dicks cause they do it, only proves what a douche bag attitude you have.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-04-2014, 10:30 AM Reply   
Say what ? I was going to stay out of this one but then I saw a shot on Americas past time. You know what makes baseball great ..... a whole lot of time to drink beer on warm sunny days ! Let me guess you hate puppies , Apple pie and 4th of July is your least favorite holiday. I don't surf much we wakeboard but I will always give props to the guys using the ballast on his boat to smash a cold one in front of the family instead of turning his 100k wakeboard boat into the family tube wagon.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
People can surf all they want. After 3 knees and 2 shoulders I still wakeboard but my sets are gradually getting shorter and my progression for bigger and better tricks has ceased.

Surfing was meh for me. I had a Broadcast and just never saw the point It was cool for like 5 min. Decided to update my surfboard a bit to a Parks Thruster. Gotta say Changed my view a bit even on the small wake of my star. It's lot more fun and helps me still enjoy the water all day.

SCARCASM ON
As far as baseball goes. Baseball mirrors society these days. Where else can u get paid tons of money being a fat slob, standing around and do nothing all day.................oh that's right welfare.
SCARCASM OFF
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
Wake surfers are *******s when they mash into the canyons or coves where the water stays the most calm for wake boarding. Keep out in the middle with the sea donkeys. Drink beer and be a kook elsewhere on the waterways.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-04-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
SCARCASM ON
As far as baseball goes. Baseball mirrors society these days. Where else can u get paid tons of money being a fat slob, standing around and do nothing all day.................oh that's right welfare.

Another angry soccer fan..... meh
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-04-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
Shotgunning a beer with a hot chick on your shoulders all while wakesurfing - Nice. Probably has the ball game blasting from the tower.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-04-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Agreed. Here's my dick son doing it. Almost looks like he's having fun. He was grounded for a week after that little stunt!

Name:  Blake.jpg
Views: 3860
Size:  149.4 KB
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-04-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek View Post
Wake surfers are *******s when they mash into the canyons or coves where the water stays the most calm for wake boarding. Keep out in the middle with the sea donkeys. Drink beer and be a kook elsewhere on the waterways.

Define... Mash... hahaha

Geeeeez people are up tight. They are both fun sports (wakeboarding I agree, much more fun in my opinion) for people to enjoy. Unless you own the lake or the boat "mashing" through the cove (at 10mph haha) purposely cut you off or did something unsafe, you should be grateful that you have the luxuries of being on the water and behind a boat. Stop and small the roses and be a little more grateful that you have water to "share" in the first place. Personally, I live on a small lake and have to share as well. If I saw some kid flying down the lake on a tube with the biggest smile on his face and messed up my water, I wouldn't be upset. That kid is having the time of his life and we were ALL that kid at one point. It started there and stepped up to skiing, then probably wakeboarding for most of us. Share the stoke people not uptight b holes.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-04-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane10p View Post
SCARCASM ON
That's funny. I was going to say something to the effect if your good at hitting a ball 30% off the time, your pretty good. 30% success at anything else just plain sucks, you'd be fired. You can drink plenty of beer watching any sport.

And Shameless plug

Go Kings Go!

Back to the topic. Wakesurfing has definitely allowed those of us who are older to remain on the water longer. I understand all the young guns, because we were once them "surfing is stupid, not good enough to wakeboard, etc" You don't even see parks on a wakeboard all that often anymore because he has wrecked his knees. and his is straight from riding. the rest of us have real jobs where that takes a toll on the body, and wakeboarding really hurts now days.

I wish I was throwing down like back in the day, but i'm no where near going pro or is wakeboarding paying my bills. I just bought a 2014 vlx just for surfgate. I' wrecked my knee 6 months ago at work, haven't ridden since, but surfing keeps me on the water with the family and lets me play a bit. The younger guys will come to understand that as well one day
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-04-2014, 11:34 AM Reply   
I think the OP isn't saying that he hates people who surf or drink a beer while doing it, but the guys who post pictures of themselves doing it thinking they are so cool is what bothers him. I guess I kinda get that. Sure we have all surfed and drank a beer to be cool, hey I fall into that category. It's kinda fun to just dork out on a surf board once in a while. But you won't find me posting a picture of it online, just because ANYONE can do it. It's about as difficult as drinking a beer while driving a golf cart.

Let's all be honest though, is anyone impressed when they see a forum member (or anyone) post a picture of a guy surfing while drinking a beer? No. People don't give it a second thought, they look at it and move on. I really don't care what pictures people post, I'd rather look at photos from the lake anyday than your typical facebook crap.

So to summarize, people aren't being "Dicks" for posting these surf pics. Calling people dicks for posting the pictures IS a dick move though.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagman View Post
I stand before the court to be judged: Does this make me more or less of a dick?
No that makes you awesome.

That pic is full of win, minus the fact you still have the rope out.
Old     (donb)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-04-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
So I'm a dick...
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Where are all thes pics of surfing while drinking a beer??? I have maybe seen two or three in the last 5 years of being on this forum......If 3 pictures has the OP panties in a bunch, he needs to get a life!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
That pic ^^^^ is freaking awesome!
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-04-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
I want that giant bottle of Corona!!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-04-2014, 2:27 PM Reply   
a HUGE DICK Don B !
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-04-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
It's about as difficult as drinking a beer while driving a golf cart.
You've never heard of the surf bong, have you?

Quote:
People aren't being "Dicks" for posting these surf pics.
Good, I was worried there for a second...
Attached Images

Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
Yeah I use to say that, after 20 years of riding, my knees aren't what they once were. Can't charge the wake like I use to, add a knee injury on top of that, surfing at least keeps me behind the boat for now
oh I know, this thread is just stupid imo so I gave a stupid response, beer makes everything better except driving a car and flying plane
I like drinking beer while doing everything including surfing (when i am being a puss)

Last edited by supra24ssv; 06-04-2014 at 3:47 PM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2014, 4:10 PM Reply   
We used to do it when we first started surfing as a right of passage that you could finally go ropeless (something you can't do on a wakeboard).
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
I KNEW this thread was gonna be funny...
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-04-2014, 8:30 PM Reply   
Your welcome...glad we got something to chat about...But that last picture, just plain old gay. Go ahead and rag me on that...

And anyone that does not bother to pull their board shorts down before throwing one back... and taking a picture???
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-04-2014, 10:11 PM Reply   
dude, you're a 40+ year old that's concerned about people surfing with a beer and pulling their shorts down..
Attached Images

Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-04-2014, 10:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
We used to do it when we first started surfing as a right of passage that you could finally go ropeless (something you can't do on a wakeboard).
http://www.wakeworld.com/news/videos/aaron-rathy-9.html
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-05-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
I am a Dick.

I am going to take a wakeboarder's puka shells and 3rd Eye Blind CD this weekend at the lake.
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-05-2014, 8:28 PM Reply   
I think we know what the starter of this thread is....
Old     (the_duke)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-06-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
Surf Gate Tricks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cY8U85GW4
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-06-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2014, 11:04 PM Reply   
Another dick checking in
Attached Images

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-02-2014, 12:30 PM Reply   
A couple of Dics............

[IMG][/IMG]
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-02-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404333816055.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  59.3 KB
Yup. 'notha dick on the loose